Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why 3 Died In Todays Louth Road Crash

Options
  • 13-08-2002 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As most will know on the bit of motorway in Louth bypassing
    Dunleer, three ppl were killed as a car and a small van collided head to head as one vehicle lost control and shot straight across the central divide which, for cost reasons has no armco barrier.

Anyone will a wit of sense could surely see such carnage comming. It had been strongly argued by the NRA that spending
    millions on crash protection along the central reservation was a waste of money. I hope whichever beancounter decided on that policy has a difficult nights sleep.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Behold the butt f*ck that is Irish county counsil's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You may have got your wish Mike,

Separation crash barriers to be erected on all dual carriageways and major motorways

Link to Realplayer item on Today's News at One on Radio 1.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0815/newsatone/news1pm5a.ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah I heard that piece on the RTE news, its a pity its taken three deaths to point out the bleedin' obvious!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

only place theres any armco on the motorways is approaching bridge struts (and the odd bit where construction is taking place, god forbid a construction worker be killed).

its not just three deaths either, theres been plenty of incidents in the past, just look at the hedge in the central reservation as you are driving, on any 5 mile stretch i bet theres at least 3 gaps where a car/truck has gone through.

its disgraceful, but hopefully it will get sorted sooner rather than later now.

(btw there was a special piece on this on Drive! last year, the final conclusion being that it will take one major accident before the government starts to do something, i kid you not)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I remember after a similar crash on the M50 last year, some idiot from the NRA claimed that barriers were actually more dangerous because they would send a car back into the traffic in the even of an accident.

Does common sense and the laws of physics not apply to the NRA?

Also, lamp posts and signs are dangerously exposed on motorways and dual carriageways here. Bunch of penny pinching morons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by NeRb666
    I remember after a similar crash on the M50 last year, some idiot from the NRA claimed that barriers were actually more dangerous because they would send a car back into the traffic in the even of an accident.

Does common sense and the laws of physics not apply to the NRA?

I forgot to mention that in my opening post! If a car goes out of control and bounces back off the barrier the "closing speed" is
    very small because everyone is going in the same direction, a head on at motorway speed means a closing speed, even allowing for breaking, of more than 60/70 mph.

Mike.

Advertisement