Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a MSCE / MSCA

• 13-08-2002 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

, I want to become certifed in some Microsoft Exams ..

Ive been looking at the MSCa which is the 4 core MSCE exams of Windows 2000 the the electives of your choice. Also the Msce is an option as well, Or you could do the MCP. I find there is alot of bapple in these books going into topics that are very confusing can someone advise me of the best way to become Microsoft certifed and the costs ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Any one of the Microsoft Certified Professional exams passed makes you an MCP.
    4 core exams = mcp 4 times over.

Now having an MCP or MCSA or MCSE in your chosen area is a big plus, but having experience in these areas is a bigger plus when looking for a job.

If youve no experience, you may have to settle for a fairly 'junior'
    position to start off with. However the exams will show your aptitude for the job, and will help you adavnce, once you ahve job experience.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

The best way is self study IMO. (it worked for me.)

The M$ training is very expensive but worthwhile if your employer is willing to foot the bill. As regards books; I've found Osbourne-Global Knowledge to be pretty good as a series but its pretty subjective; everyone has their own favourites. Try to borrow or buy 2nd hand.

The MCSE credential had become pretty devalued over the last year or two but changes to the stucture seem to have slowed the rot. Start with the Win2k Pro exam and take it from there.

If its MCSA that you want, ISTR that this also has a 3rd party requirement like A+ (another brand of certification) as a component.

Good luck.

Bogobot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Mcse + 4 years experiance is what you need nowadays for any senior It admin job. I've got just under 2 years and a Mcse in win2000 and am finding it very hard at the mo, but that is mainly because of the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

ando is right. From experience on both sides of interviews, a mix of certs and experience is what counts. In many cases a candidate with an MCP or two *and* a CCNA or A+ is rated over a MCSE as they are perceived as having a more rounded skillset. Combine this with a couple of years experience and you are at least in with a good chance.

Just out of interest, what certs are around this board? How many of you lot are MCP's/MCSE's/RHCE's etc? Where do you think the cert race is going next? What certs do you rate?

(tech, hope I'm not hijacking your thread.....:) )

Bogobot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Ive been working as a junior Eng for just over the last year..... Ive been looking at the A+ this exam yet meant to be basic but yet seems fairly in deepth into ever part of a Pc, Also Ive been looking at the MSCA route doing the 4 CORE exams. Again the MCP 2000 Pro looks fairly serious stuff, Also I find it thinks that you have a good basic knowledge into Windows 9x and 2000 before you even start ...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I'm looking at doing the "Window 2000 Installation, Configuration and Administration" course which should give me an MCSE 70-210 & 70-215 cert. at the end.
    Has anyone done this one?
    I figured that the fact that I'm getting less work might be a good chance to get some papers to combine with the olde experience....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

The best way I found to study for the exams is to use the products. Then I used the exam cram books for revision. If you've never used them before or if you don't have the facilities to set up a test domain then I'd go for the courses. (Global Knowledge are good for courses)

As for the Cisco exams - I've used the Cisco Press books for all of those. I'd advise people to go on a course for those (unless you work for an ISP that has test equipment) because the hardware is expensive.

As for the difficulty:
    • MCSE NT4 - Easy, did it in a month
    • MCSE 2000 - Fairly difficult, did it in two months
    • CCNA - Difficult, but only one exam
    • CCNP - Harder again (haven't finished it yet though)

Despite all of that, you won't get any of the good jobs without experience.

[Edit: Looks like the publisher of the exam cram books, Coriolis, has gone out of business]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

what's the going rate for a junior mis type position for a guy with plently of related qualifications e.g. mcse nt, 2k track but little hands on experience.

Thinking of a career change!

Advertisement