Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What I did today

• 13-08-2002 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

I started another map today out of bordem. i have a load if ideas i just can never be arsed sticking to my plans ;)

I will have to cut down on my wads though. The wad file for the map is currantly 3.4Mbs :eek:

I dont have a name for this map yet. And as usual im having the problems, how do i get rid of the black around the trees? I have tied them to the fnc_wall like the tutorials say but they turn out black :(

screenshots:
    Just to tell you i will be changing the background

dod1.jpg

dod2.jpg

dod3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Looks like you have a **** load of trees there.. wp? :)

ANyway, looks quite good... needs more rubble/ better lighting to make it believeable as a WW2 place...

more rubble i say! and 1337 sounds, env_shakes, and models too.

And a good layout :)

thats nt too much to ask now is it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yea..there is kinda a problem with the light. Usually there is no light on the level and now, for some reason, the whole map is REALLY bright.... i wanted to make it a dark map... but for some reason every place in the map is bright....even in rooms :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Select a dark skybox..

Put in a light_environment

go to the brightness property.. make it a dark grey

make the very last number of it like 40-70.. not 200

should make it dark(er)

Well...i hope that works...at the moment there is no light_enviroment in the map so ill give it a go tomorrow.

Ill have to add all the flags to the map too....its a bit useless without them....ill have the link to the final map soon. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

For the tree's make em a func_wall (or illusionary) and set the render mode to solid and the fx amount to 255. That should get rid of the black/blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Winters
    Yea..there is kinda a problem with the light. Usually there is no light on the level and now, for some reason, the whole map is REALLY bright....

Its been a while since I've mapped for HL, but as far as I recall, if you don't run the radiosity part of the compile you get a full bright map... not having any lights in the map may also cause this to happen. So run full compiles and throw in light environment :) Don't have the light coming straight down, give it an angle... fiddle around with the angles randomly in there and you can come out with surprisingly nice results in terms of shadows from buildings etc.

Anyway, map looking good. Best of luck :)

Also if you have ANY leaks in the map it will cause it to light up. Onle if there are NO leaks will the light_evviroment work.... read that last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Same with radiant ,just wont fully light each model/brush until there are no leaks.

Usually doors and windows with radient or a N00b mistake where the brush is outside the skybox ,made that one a few times meself :)

kdja

Advertisement