Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Index Files

Options
  • 13-08-2002 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Can some one tell me how to get my site to use Index.php instead of index.htm i have managed to do it on my apache localhost test server but i dont know whow to alter the file on Remote server.

- Kappar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Kappar
    Can some one tell me how to get my site to use Index.php instead of index.htm i have managed to do it on my apache localhost test server but i dont know whow to alter the file on Remote server.

Php has to be on the remote server and you have to have access to the Apache configuration file httpd.conf. The line in httpd.conf that covers the index file begins:

DirectoryIndex

You would have to have something like

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php

You would also have to have a mimetype entry something like:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

hmmmmm the above post over my head, mmmmm have ya tried deleting the old index.htm and see if it usees the .php one instead, works for me on a few other sites i was messin around with. If not ya could put a redirect on .htm. Guess its the simple way :) give it a go i guess if the above doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by Kappar

- Kappar
    most web hosts have it set up to recognise index.php already.

but you said "Index.php" which would work on an apache running on a windows machine, being case insensitive. Have you tried simple renaming it to "index.php" to make it work for a unix machine running apache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by nahdoic

most web hosts have it set up to recognise index.php already.

but you said "Index.php" which would work on an apache running on a windows machine, being case insensitive. Have you tried simple renaming it to "index.php" to make it work for a unix machine running apache?

Great thanks alot that was my problom :rolleyes: i should have coped that but you know

Thanks also too Gideon and jmcc.

jmmc that's what i done on my Windows/Apache Test localhost and it worked but didn't know how to edit the file on the remote host, Luckly they alredy have it done Thanks.

Advertisement