Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression resources

Options
  • 14-08-2002 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

Serious thread. I'm feeling REALLY bad kinda hit by my depression and feel like starting a semi-self help group here. More just posting good resources. The sheep movie is a must so someone put that up here.

But yeah... sites that are good and advice and stuff.

Feel better talking bout it here than personal issues, if that's ok with you A&F?

Also a poll just to see.

And something I just found.
    http://www.zoloft.com/index.asp?pageid=4
    Why are all medical quizes so lame? <sigh>

Do you suffer from depression? 19 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Somehow I feel a tiny bit better. Go me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I actually think i might suffer from mild skittzophrenia, Illusions of grandeur, paranoia, but then again when i am feeling hypochondriac like i can diagnose myself with most mental diseases, so uh dunno, and ofter going to french college and the gaeltacht 1 after the other you bound to lose it a bit upstairs ,
    ell i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

If anything I have reverse depression. I just sit back and take life as it happens (and occasionally jump with happiness at strange moments).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scratavar

It would appear that "Serious Thread" is all that's required to stop the thread derailing into insanity.

Back to your regular seriousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

hmmm,

The thing with me is, when I'm alone I feel sad, when I'm with people (of my own age/mindset) I feel elated.
    Online I only ever feel a partial lift in my mood when talking to people because I need that personal touch.
    Back home in Sligo I live 20 miles out from town with no local friends. There are only 4-5 people in sligo I would call my "Friend"
    Its a very very sad life, it leaves me feeling empty and alone.
    So maybe thats why when I go to CTY or to the reunions I feel so Happy, Content, at one with the world, I honestly don't have a care in the world.

So yeah I'm always in a state of depression and disappiontment with my life. And as for the idea of "ending it all" well, I'd never do that, in my mind I think i may see life differantly to others, but I'm always dreaming and as long as I have my dreams I am Me, aslong as I'm Me I shall always exist within this time.

But I suppose thinking about it now, I'm a irrepressable Optimist who is constantly surrounded and affronted by situations and happenings to make him feel ****ty and cause him to loose hope, yet inside me I can still feel that optimism buring brightly even if it does get bogged down alot.

hmmm, that was longer than I thought and I may have given a rather crappy insight into my psyche.

LOVE & PEACE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

If you checked "several days" or more for question 9 (thinking that you would be better off dead or wanting to hurt yourself), please immediately speak to your doctor.

How? Who is my doctor? Are we talking about the GP I last visited when i was about 8? I can't remember where he lives. And how does one make an appointment? (Not that I'd go if i knew any of these things, I'm just making a point that if i did want to seek help i wouldn't be able to because of my incompetence.)

Assuming you don't want people to know that you're seeing a doctor where do you go to find one? Shouldn't we be learning things like this in school, a class like "How to get by in the real world"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Y'see, no offence ... but I highly doubt any of the nine people who voted yes have suffered froim real depression. Maybe teen ansgty depression, but as someone who lost a good few years of parenting to severe depression I really doubt any of you have had true depression. I mean, I say "I'm depressed" a couple of times a year but all I am is sad. I just haven't suffered such sadness in a while and therefore consider myself depressed. I dunno, it's hard to explain. I seriously doubt any of you have had real depression before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

actually i can compleatly believe that there are nine people on the board with "real" depression. Offhand i can name four people I know who are on, or have been on, anti-depressants and one in therepy.
    That said I would be the first to put my hand up and say that I'm self diagnosed and probably have no real problem.

I have had anti-depressants. I have not only been prescribed them but I've also overdosed on them. Hmmm...

I'm quite annoyed when people start telling me that I'm "crying out for attention" about being depressed. Anyone who's met me in person generally thinks I'm insanely manic. Sorta like Macdara's condition... but not always.. I tend to slip away from crowds when I'm going through a bad period and just sink to the bottom of emotion...

I'm REALLY annoyed however by my mothers constant pushing for me to go see a "councellor". <AHEM> "F*CK YOU MOTHER!"

But I'm in a rather happy mood right now. So I shall not bitch or whine... really...

I was in therapy for four years, over my dad and his alcoholism / abuse of me yet I never have considered myself truly depressed. I don't know, perhaps because of CTYI's demographics there is a greater percentage of real depression ... but I find it hard to believe that nine out of the fourty or so people who have posted on this board in the last month have true depression. 25% is a big figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

most of u ppl are sufferring from withdrawl symptoms NOT depression. it's hard to differentiate when u haven't been depressed/seen a depressed person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by lordsippa
    I have had anti-depressants. I have not only been prescribed them but I've also overdosed on them. Hmmm...

Strangely enough, you OD'ing on Anti-depressents gave me a temporary mental breakdown.

I've suffered from mild depression for a period of a few weeks, which wasn't just teen-angstyness. It was jsut a huge combination of events at the wrong time combining to make me tell everyone to f**k off and leave me alone for ages while i moped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Statistically, 'gifted' young adults are more likely to suffer from depression and other mental illnesses than the average teenager. So I can well believe the percentage who answered 'yes', especially when you take into account that it is mainly people who are depressed who will look at a thread about depression.

So let's not have this f*cking 'I doubt any of you are really depressed but I am' crap, please, because devalidating anyone's feelings is one of the worst things you can do.

*sends out good vibes to all who need them*

See the point is, if you cared to read my posts that is, I have never been depressed. I have never truly experienced depression and find it hard to believe so many people in such a small demographic have. Anywhere to back up that claim of higher depression rates in "gifted" children?

Edit: I reread this post and have the following to add.
    I'm not saying that just because I haven't suffered depression means no-one else has. I'm merely refuting the following phrase.
    'I doubt any of you are really depressed but I am'

I dunno... I would've been inclined to agree with Bob about not being really depressed but then earlier this year I got hit by severe depression which led to many days spent entirely lying in bed under the covers complaining about how none of your school friends have rang to see how you're doing even though they've had their lunch break and then rationalising that "they didn't ring because they didn't exist. they are merely figments of your imagination."... that was REALLY scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

i got drunk depressed once, not to be reccommended, other than that i am never Really depressed, exept slightly once or twice

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    yet I never have considered myself truly depressed.

Those were my words, and that post wasn't edited. So, where exactly did I claim that nobody was depressed except me?

You didn't say it. Relax bob. Be cool, be happy, and love thy neighbour. In *that* way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

well heres the cheer! i am a happy person. there. its been said. i can say that i am a happy person just because i compare myself to all of these people who are/ have been really sad and depressed. and im not. but i HAVE been. probably not as badly as some of you, seeing as i have had no real reason TO be. But i did have a really bad year where i felt like everything was too hard for me, and everybody hated me, i was ugly, fat, mean, i just thought everything was wrong. but now I'm pretty good. i cry sometimes but im glad to say its just because i am remembering really happy things and wishing i was back in those moments. like CTYI. Yeah, im good i think. And have never even considered suicide. My aunt did that, and i never got to know her because of it. I really would have liked to know her, because all of my other relatives say that i am alot like her, in looks and behaviours ( except the whole manic depressive -slitting your wrists- overdosing on everything- dead thing ).

Suicide is not good.

Please don't do it.

If any of you want to talk ever, about anything, I'm available and i bet most anyone here will listen to you. I dont mean to sound like a psychiatrist.

I'm a happy person despite what anyone thinks, I love my life and personally think I have a brilliant life. I have a kick ass mom, two relatively cool brothers and lots of cool friends. To the best of my knowledge, not many people disliked me at CTYI and even if they did I didn't hear of it. I dunno, I love life despite my lack of self esteem / self confidence ... in a way, that makes life funny 'cos I laugh at myself a whole lot. I dunno, I guess I just roll with the punches. I love life though. Life rocks.

Oh, and for those of you who remember the fscked up cousin / sister / other sister and my dating of all three of them within a week scenario last year ... the cousin's mom attempted suicide a day before I got with her ... that's my only real experience of suicide. (Except my mom's attempt, but I do everything I can to block that out of my mind and never think of it. this is the first time I've though about that this year. aregh!) And Neil, you may commence the slagging of how I came out of that situation now. Conspiring whores and there plan to make me look like a dumbfsck.

• Advertisement

... Yeah... a few of us older CTYIers know suicide all too well. It sucks. ... I miss Phil. I didn't know him as well as many others but damn if he wasn't cool. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

BTW, the test above sucks incredibly.REALLY.
    Wishing I were dead is actually a large part of my days, but I tend not to be depressed on those days, just hating my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I realise this won't work for most people but it keeps me happy. Whenever you're upset just try to think what exactly it was that upset you and put it into context with everything else that goes on in the world. Unless it's something REALLY serious then it'll seem pretty small compared to everthing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Hat Girl

i'm not depressed.
    i dont suffer from 'depression' but i don't like how i am.
    though i have been made feel inferior by my family all my life, i like most of them, apart from my parents.
    my father i am not going to talk about.
    My mother is a b!tch for letting the above away with alot of things that he should rot in jail for.
    i am usually happy with life, called an attention-seeking drama queen by family but i dont think thats true.
    i have very low self respect/esteem and search desperately for someone (usually male) to fill the love void in my life.
    i think that i should stop typing now.
    yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

i kinda think this all depends on how you define "real depression". i've had a lot of bad sh*t happen to me in the past couple of years (parents split up, granny died, another 9 people out of my family died the following year, my dad got really really sick, his liver exploded <my dad had alcoholism too bob> and he died on the 3rd of februaury 2001) all over the course of about 3years. but i've managed not to kill myself and will hopefully continue not to do so.

i get days where i want to do something drastic...i don't want to talk about those. i also get days where i can't feel anything...i don't really want to talk about those either. but i've finally got to the stage where i just don't give a crap about any of it anymore. i'm still not sure whether this is a good thing...

i've been accused of being empty recently...i'm inclined to agree. it's not particularly good but it's not particularly bad either.

feelings are overrated.

sHep :cool:

(the more significant of my brushes with self destruction are not subjects i'm quite ready too discuss so...yeah. just wanted to say that because all this sounds very angsty and stupid. there was other stuff that happened too, but it'd take too long to explain and i also don't want to talk about it. i'm gonna shut up now.)

i'm okay.

<Hugs chloe>

ah i've not had too many things go wrong with me. I'm just biologically depressed. which sucks. and i'm also "broken" as people put it. My mind isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

yeah that was another thing i was gonna say, some people are depressed anyway, they don't have to have had loads of bad stuff happen to them and some people who've had loads of bad sh*t happen to them are exceptionally happy people. it's all relative. or something. F*CK IT!! I DON'T CARE ANYWAY!! none of it makes any sense. i hate being angsty, it's just too f*cking stupid for words. and what i hate even more than being angsty is being told i'm being angsty. that just pisses me off. :mad: anyway, apparently i'm empty these days so i suppose that's slightly better....:confused:
    sHep :cool:

Um, for what it's worth, people tell me I've had a ****ty life ... but I consider myself extremely lucky and I am ecstatically happy right now. So, yeah. I'm not trying to rub it in or anything, it's just me. For anyone who isn't feeling too happy right now I send many *huggles* your way!

Yes, I am quite emotional lately ... but still ecstatically happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Well at least you can be happy, life can be really ****ty at times...

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the only time since I finished therapy in mid-2000 that I've been able to truly justify life being ****ty was on March 25th of this year when my grandfather, aged 90, passed away on his 50th wedding anniversary. I loved him dearly and he is my icon, my role model and one of my best friends.

But seriously, apart from things like death of a close family member most problems aren't much ... I mean, being rejected by a girl doesn't seem very important when there are millions of people who won't eat today and stuff. I dunno, I'm just a happy go lucky guy who tries to roll with the punches. I love life. Yay!

Rest In Peace, Tony Moran, 1912 - 2002
    "If you have nothing good to say about a man, say nothing at all."

Advertisement