Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The deer hunter DVD

• 14-08-2002 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

I bought this at the weekend having heard about the movie for years and never managing to see it.

And i thought it was a fantastic movie , very powerful ..really showed what the after effects of nam where like for some people

There was a few things about the movie i didnt like however , I found it very choppy by that i mean jumps form one scene/location to another without any warning or build up... eg: one minute there walking into a village and the next there prisioners playing russian roulette. Also i felt the opening was very slow and the wedding scene was waaaay to long.

there my only real gripes, apart from that i thought it was great.

The DVD itself is nothing to right home about, has the trailer and thats about it , bit disappointing .... i wonder does the region 1 have any more ?hmm

Oh yeah and i never knew that brialliant guitar theme was by John Williams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

It is indeed a brilliant film, especially the Russian Roulette.

The film shows Vietnam; Before, During and After. The wedding scene is long out of the necessity to show what the characters were like before the war.

Ddin't know John Williams did the music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

A Classic film indeed...

Cavitina - a classsic song also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Darth Homer

There was a few things about the movie i didnt like however , I found it very choppy by that i mean jumps form one scene/location to another without any warning or build up... eg: one minute there walking into a village and the next there prisioners playing russian roulette. Also i felt the opening was very slow and the wedding scene was waaaay to long.

Stanley Myers wrote Cavatina. I think John Williams just played it?

Great film alright. The wedding scene is necessary but I agree with you that it's a little long. Almost half an hour on its own by my memory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Pigman

Stanley Myers wrote Cavatina. I think John Williams just played it?

And it's a different John Williams. The guitar player. Not the movie composer. More than one movie book has made that particular booby.

The Region 1 DVD is no better really. Additionally, the DVD was made the cheap way. It's mastered from an old widescreen master used for the laserdisc release. The picture quality is a little shoddy, plus they didn't adjust the contrast for DVD so in dark scenes much of the detail is missing. The region 2 is directly mastered from the region 1 disc.

Still a great movie though. When they get around to releasing it on DVD properly it'll be even better.

Advertisement