Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Need Of Some Tutorials...

Options
  • 14-08-2002 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where I can find some good tutorials on servers (eg. How they work, how to setup one ect..) I am new to php (I am a c++ and qbasic programmer but I want to learn php (I know html and javascript)). I just need some info on web servers and things like that
    Please help,
    Mofu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are some good primers on WebMonkey which cover a lot of the basics of server-side scripting etc.,
    Depending on what you are looking for a trawl through Hotscripts will usually turn up sometihing useful.
    If you want to set up a development environment on a Windows desktop there's PhpDev which now offers two versions of Apache, MySQL , PHP 4.2.* and a range of other features.
    If you want to really get into the more interesting side of things you'll need access to a server (preferably linux) with a lot of the extra extensions installed, such as XSLT support, Sablotron, mcrypt etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

Thanks alot,
    I will check through them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

:D You're welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

First of all, this is more of a programming question so I suspect you'll get more answers on that board - so I'm moving this thread there.

Second of all the most intimate way of learning about how servers/clients work is socket programming, which given you're a C++/QBasic developer would probably involve Winsock.

HTTP programming (in v. short) tends to involve a lot of bunging stuff like "GET /foobar.html HTTP/1.0" down a socket. Beyond that, it's pretty straightforward ;)

Other than that I'm sure a lot of other ppl will suggest the usual PHP sites.

Advertisement