Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking with DSL

Options
  • 14-08-2002 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Ok.
    I have got two computers, currently one network card (on the verge of number two) and a DSL box here beside me.
    I want to set up a network so that both computer will have equal or close to the same bandwith with my DSL box.
    There is only one USB OUT in the dsl box so i cant put the two PCs running into the box. I also want the two PC's networked for gaming and file transfer.
    What should be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Is it a USB modem?
    Once you have a NIC in each pc, install TCP/IP, configure the settings on each (IP address, DNS etc.) and then install some type of connection sharing software e.g Wingate and you're away.
    Take a look at www.wown.com for info. on configuring file/print sharing on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ok.
    I will have the network set up within the next few days.
    But i want to make one computer (the better - xp1800 768mb ram 40gig better nic etc) a kinda server and that we have a shared HD from the above computer with all the games, progs etc on it as the other computer only has a 10gig HD and currently 64mb ram(soom 300mb) and a 1ghz duron at 667mhz (dont ask).

I know how to split the HD but how do i set the HD up as a shared HD??
    The better computer is using win98 and the crappy computer is running on winME...

but how do i set the HD up as a shared HD??

All you need to do is install File and Printer sharing and share the folders that you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    All you need to do is install File and Printer sharing and share the folders that you need.
    Be sure and install a firewall if you do this, though.

Password protect the shares too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You will not neet to install any software... It all really depends on what OS your using. If your on win2k

Use a cross over cable to link the 2 pcs together. Install NetBui and TCP/IP (shoul be installed by default). The one you want as a server have the usb modem connected to.

On the second machine open command prompt and type:
    ipconfig /renew
    (Each PC will have its own IP aaddress... on the second machine the Default Gateway should match the IP of the server.

setup Internet Explorer on the other Pc to connect through LAN.

That sould work ... i believe win98 would be similar to this. It worked for me (I connect through dialup not adsl :( )

Setting Drives and printers as shared on win2k is easy. Right click on the drive or folder > Propteries

Under the Sharing Tab select "Share This Folder" and type in what you need and click OK/Apply. That should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Winters: Why does he need netbeui?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well...for some reason .. i dont know why. I can only access files on one computer from the other if i have NetBeui installed.... I tried to do it withough NetBeui and it would only see the local pc and not anoy of the other ones on the network. I installed NetBeui and the other one (Cant remember the name...will check later) and then i was able to access files...

Strange....maybe its just my network :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Aaah bugger all that!
    What OS's are on the two boxes?
    If it's anything like Win ME or XP you can network the two boxes and use ICS for sharing the DSL, works a dream...

well, i have win ME on one comp and currently getting ME for the other,.. presumed it would make it more easier.
    win98 is currently on the latter.
    will be ME tonight or tommorow, and ill start at the network tommorow then most likely.
    Im gonna use a crossover cable most likely, and have the DSL run into one copmuter., couldnt be bothered getting a hub when iv only a few weeks left with dsl :( and wont have any use for it after that.
    what ICS btw., and also btw, mayhem, you wouldnt have any 'ol monitor? Pm me sure :)

• Advertisement

Just bung the two NIC's in both boxes, connect the cross-over cable, configure the TCP/IP settings and the two should be networked.
    Then connect one box to the DSL and do the following.
    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click on the icon for your DSL connection, click on the sharing tab and select "Enable Internet connection sharing for this connection", just follow the instruction and you should be OK.
    If you run into problems have a look [url=http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID=1033&CDID=EN-US-KB&PRODLISTSRC=ON&withinResults=false&QuerySource=gsfxAdvancedSearch_Query&Product=winme&Queryc=ICS&Query=ICS&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=50&Titles=false&numDays=[]here[/url] or email me....

i cant find any DSL network in that section u gave mayhem#
    Although i do get a List :
    'client for microsoft networking'
    'dial up adapter'
    'network card'
    'NETBeui -> dial up adapter'
    'NETBeui -> network card'
    'TCPIP -> dial up adapter'
    'TCPIP -> network card'
    'file and printer sharing for MS networks'

when i click my NIC and goto properties -> advanced, beside 'media type' i get 'auto_config'
    , if thats any help :)

Can you send me a screenshot of your network connections folder?

OMFG, they gave u RMod for Clare., there mad!
    heh, i tried posting a screeny but it was too big ,...
    check ur mail there in a tick mayhem#

actually PM me your email cos the only emial on your profile sends through boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the thing is eircon feel that dynamic ips are the way to go for their cheap dsl(now thats an oxymoron). so using the server ip as the default gateway wont work. and there are issues with ics over pppoe connections in windows. microsoft recomend changing the mtu on the client machine to fix it, but i havent been able to do anything with it.

Originally posted by mayhem#
    Then connect one box to the DSL and do the following.
    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click on the icon for your DSL connection, click on the sharing tab and select "Enable Internet connection sharing for this connection", just follow the instruction and you should be OK.

He's using ME and 98, there's an ICS "wizard" to help set it up in those OS's.
    IMO, you'd be better off using a program like Wingate to share the connection.
    And DiscoStu, what does Eircom's method of IP assignment have to do with setting up connection sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i wasnt to clear. this is what i meant. by server im mean the box with the modem. the ip of this machine will change each time you connect to the service so using this ip as the default gateway on the other machine/s wont work unless you run a script on connect that will chage the default gateway on the other machine/s on your network. but that is a bit beyond my ability.

You'd be using the LAN IP address of the server machine, so it wouldn't matter.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    i wasnt to clear. this is what i meant. by server im mean the box with the modem. the ip of this machine will change each time you connect to the service so using this ip as the default gateway on the other machine/s wont work unless you run a script on connect that will chage the default gateway on the other machine/s on your network. but that is a bit beyond my ability.
    I'm not sure that is the case. When you are using a machine in this way, there will be multiple IPs working - one for each network interface. Therefore the network interface connected to the DSL modem will be dynamic, but the interface connected to the LAN can be static if desired.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I'm not sure that is the case. When you are using a machine in this way, there will be multiple IPs working - one for each network interface. Therefore the network interface connected to the DSL modem will be dynamic, but the interface connected to the LAN can be static if desired.

Exactly you stick a NIC in each machine and network them, than you connect to the DSL with either a USB modem or a 2nd NIC in the server/main box. The enable ICS on the DSL connection in "Network connections" and Bob's yer uncle.

Originally posted by mayhem#
    The enable ICS on the DSL connection in "Network connections" and Bob's yer uncle.

It's setup differently on ME/98SE
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q234815&

Well yeah, anyway ICS is still the easiest way to go...

ok, will get back to you tommorow, when i have everything set up. thanks so far :)

Originally posted by conZ
    ok, will get back to you tommorow, when i have everything set up. thanks so far :)
    Could you also give the lowdown on this VDSL: connection speeds, extra services etc. Not that I expect it ever to be deployed on a commercial basis.

well...
    the DSL im currently using is 'always on'..
    When i press the power button on my machine, the DSL box comes out of standby mode and the 'on-line' light goes green.
    Its easy to set up really, they just came, done a line test, put splitters into every phone socket in the house, except for one - where the dsl box was.
    The box itself is connected to my PC via crossover cable into my NIC. There is a normal grey phone wire going from the dsl box into the phone socket in the wall.
    That was it basically, nothing else to be done.
    Well, i have a crappy on-board NIC which probably leads to my 80->180 ping in counter-strike.
    At the moment, im downloading DOD which is 150meg and i done a speed test at dslreports.com
    and got the following.

download «262 kbps
    your upload «353 kbps

its a 512k line but i dont know if there will be the same cap and price as dublin's dsl.You would think there would be a higher cap maybe as its always on. Im also recieving it through eircom.
    Losing it a few weeks, sometime in september and emailed the information age town and they said it'll be released in summer '03 :(

Is it ADSL or VDSL that you have?

vDSL

Originally posted by conZ
    vDSL
    They've really throttled that down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement