Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Video Drivers

• 14-08-2002 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

On a computer that has win98SE, I used windows update and a update for my Creative Geforce 2 MX200 was available. When I completed the download it went to install but file it looked for (e.g please insert disk #) I inserted the cd - rom that the original drivers were on but some files were not on the cd and could not complete the install. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I wasn't aware that you were able to use windows update to get new gfx drivers. The usual procedure is to dload the drivers from a site (eg www.guru3d.com ).
    Steps are then as follows.

1: Dload the drivers from a site.
    2: use add/remove programs in the control panel to to remove your old nvidia drivers.+ reboot. (your colours+res will then be at default)
    3: If you dloaded new drivers just double click the .exe and reboot to have your new drivers installed. if you decided to dload old drivers you should go to add new hardware , and point windows to where you saved the drivers on your hard disk.

NB: Its important to delete your old drivers or they will interfere with your new drivers.

( afai can remember thats the procedure. Am a bit drunk so any one plz feel free to mock my method if there is a quicker way :x )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Any Nvidia card should be updated with Detonator drivers from www.nvidia.com
    - in this case, all you should have to do is download the exe, and open it up - it'll install all by itself.
    Latest ones are just out and the speed increase is quite noticeable.

If you're at all worried:
    1: Make sure you still have the Creative cd that came with your card, or download their own drivers from www.creative.comThen you know you have the drivers the manufacturer recommends.

2: Windows will be able to auto-detect the card and install (very) basic drivers for it - this is why windows update showed a new set of drivers for the card.
    If all else goes horribly wrong, just uninstall the drivers from the device manager and restart - windows should cop on to what's in your system.

3: Best practice is to do everything from the device manager - uninstall the old driver, detect new hardware (refresh), tell it where the new drivers are by browsing to the location (rather than let it search) and restart. If you're using detonator drivers then you don't need to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The site, www.nvidia.com , only supplies the latest drivers however which are normally more effective on the latest cards that on older models such as the geforce2. That is why i suggested www.guru3d.com as they have all of the drivers including the ones made for the geforce2.

All detotnator drivers should work for all cards but there will be performance differences between them.

Advertisement