Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full fees question.

Options
  • 15-08-2002 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

i did first year software development in starting in 2000.

then i went and repeated the year (cos i failed half the course and generally had nothing better to do :)).

now ive failed the course again, and want to do a multimedia course.

i was told by the college (the 2 courses are in the same place)to apply through the cao. will i have to pay full college fees?? how much are they??

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

yes - full fees are on the agenda afaik.

anywhere between €400 - €700 depending on the course type. either way - the fees have probably risen by about 60% - 70%. Check the dept. of Edumication and Science website for more info on likely fee increases. It depends on the type of course and type of third level institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd guess that you'll have to pay the fullactual fees rather than just the 700euro-odd. Give that you've already benefitted from the "free" fees

So possibly 2 1/2 - 3 grand. Probably whatever you paid last year when you were repeating.

Totally correctable as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

can u just repeat one subject? i failed one subject an i cant really see melf passing the repeat , so whats the story there , money wise an that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by sceptre
    So possibly 2 1/2 - 3 grand. Probably whatever you paid last year when you were repeating.

oh that is just fab.

total amount smak has saved for college: €0.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

afaik the fee increse will be introduced NEXT year(that's what i've heard anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    afaik the fee increse will be introduced NEXT year(that's what i've heard anyway)
    nope
    i got my letter from the college last week. they want €670 from me by friday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Fees:

College fees: paid by state if you are an EU student (Non-EU students are ****ed)

Non-Tuition Fee: €670 (up 70% from last year - yes the government are screwing you)

Levy: Usually some reasonably low amount.

All are covered by the state if you have full or partial maintainance grant.

If you fail exams: depends on college

NUI, Galway is summer repeats for all bar Labs.

Fail your labs you are fúcked.

It is possible to do an "external repeat" in some colleges to save money if you need to repeat a year.

If you drop out (or plan to do so) the amount of free fees you will get next year for a new course (unless the Gov. bring back fees - a very possible eventuality) depends on how much of the year you actually attended (to a certain degree).

You have got free fees for one degree course of U-grad education encompassing one 1st year, one 2nd year etc. (Howe much you get depends on course length and in some cases follow on diplomas/degrees).

You also qualify for a second set of fees as a Mature Student after the age of 23 if you have already used your first set.

There are also some very nice benefits for people who have been on the dole for more than 6 months. Well worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

thanks leeroybrown.

Advertisement