Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU & Front Side Bus

Options
  • 15-08-2002 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

If i have a CPU with a FSB of 66MHz and PC66 RAM, could I upgrade to a CPU with a FSB of 133MHz and matching RAM without changing the mobo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You have a Celeron, and you probably have a 440LX chipset.
    Afaik that chipset won't go to 100, let alone 133mhz.
    So you'll probably have to change motherboard.
    For about €350 you can get a new system core off komplett.ie , comprimising of an nForce mobo (onboard sound, LAN and gfx - GF2MX400), ~1.2Gig Duron + 128 DDR Ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It actually a PII 233MHz in a dell dimensions XPS D233 case so would any new mobo fit into it?
    A celeron would be a dream(how bad is that?)
    Besides I dont know anything about which PSU to use and the size of cases etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dell's sometimes have a proprietry conenctor on the PSU.
    Just more OEM gheyness tying you to them for upgrades or servicing etc.

The PSU probably won't have enough juice avialable to run a Duron (not sure about this).

A new case + PSU might be your best bet, should set you back between €40-80+ depending how swank a case you want to get and from hwere you get it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I just recently upgraded a dell p2 233 for a mate of mine.There was a jumper on the mobo in front of the power on switch which was marked with 100 mhz(Fsb)I switched it put in a p3 600(Which I had lying around) and the system is running fine.Might be worth a try if theres a jumper on the board.His was a dell gx something or other and I believe that a p3 600 is the fastest his board supports.
    Now if I can only find out how to disable those on board graphics and put in the pci geforce 2 mx that he bought he`d be flying.So if anyone can help with this Id be grateful.
    Richie

Go into device manager and right click the yoke in question and disable it, no?

My computer has a 440LX chipset, im sure.

Did you use a adaptor to get the PIII to fit to slot 1,where did u buy it and how much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The p 2 233 was a slot 1 and so was the p3 600 so no adapter was required.The p3 600 is hard to come by nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you have a 440lx board, you are stuck at 66fsb, and no adapter is going to change that. If you just want a bit of an upgrade on a budget, p3 motherboards and chips will be going cheap now secondhand. www.buyandsell.net

Damn dell and their cursed incompatable motherboards!
    What is the fastest celeron with a fsb of 66MHz and where can I get the slotkets for it. I was recommended one before but is there anywhere in ireland that sells them and is anyone selling a celeron?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its not dells fault, its simply a standard motherboard for that age of machine. System performance is hugely dependant on fsb speed, I think you are better off going with a new motherboard. Otherwise you will not get nearly as much improvement as you expect, since the slow 66mhz bus will be holding up the whole show. As I said, you should be able to pick up a pentium 3 motherboard and chip cheaply second hand if you are on a budget, this would have an fsb speed of 100 or 133.

Advertisement