Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Music ever?

Options
  • 15-08-2002 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Best Musical Style out of this bunch, pick one!!

What style sounds best? 18 votes

Oldies 1950s + Rock N Roll
    0% 0 votes
    Jazz Swing
    11% 2 votes
    Country Blues Country Rock
    11% 2 votes
    Latin Samba
    5% 1 vote
    70s Disco and Pop
    11% 2 votes
    Techno House Ambient
    11% 2 votes
    Classical & Orchestral
    16% 3 votes
    Drum n bass
    16% 3 votes
    European Folk and Ballad Music
    11% 2 votes
    Funk and Disco
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

If it's not there then say it loud!!!

??
    Trance

Heavy Metal

Boy/Girl-band Pop Music

Punk Ska

Spanish Flamenco

Instrumental

Hip Hop

Traditional jigs reels Music

South American Jazz

Irish/Celtic Rock

Femail Vocals Rock

Digi-Core Punk

Goth Metal

Historical

Religious Choir

Salsa

Reggae

Chill out Moods

Samba

Horror hell Music

Brazil Street Beats

Canadian Folk Music

80s Gaming Music Mario-Tetris

Ballroom

Acoustic Folk

Symphonic
    ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭JacquesPompidou

AcidJazz, House, I like some Ambient and Some French and Britpop....

I know Japan and can tell you a little about the place. Japan is under serious pressure.
    The Problem with Japan is that it a massive growth rate from 1950 to 1980, the Japanese government never managed the system correctly and always expected things to remain comfortable.
    Things are different in Japan today, rising unemployment, crime rates escalating, a declining birth rate, a dying health system, a higher percentage of people over 65 years old than under 15 years, cramped living conditions, expensive education, rising suicide to due bad loans and debts.
    People were paid well in Japan, unemployment was low and retiremnet was great. But the system is under strain the hard working continious job for life system is going away. The Japanese had a great system but they never planned for the future and they are having trouble adapting to the changing world. The Japanese export mainly Car Parts and Electronics.Korea, Taiwan, China and Europe are affecting Japan's domination of this market.These guys are making stuff faster, better and cheaper than the Japanese, and this is why the gadget and tech sector has a very uncertain future. Firms and cutting back and some Business now see bankruptcy, The Japanese Job for life mentality is dying
    In this very compeditive world market Koizumi and the LDP must weaken the Yen to encourage foreign purchase and investing.
    The Japanese have very few resources and depend higly on food, chemical, steel and Oil imports. Nations like Norway, Canada, USA, China sell the Japanese all their essential items. The weak Yen is costing the country money, and it may easily get worse as protests continue in shipping on America's West Coast and war with Iraq looming. 85% of Japan's Oil comes from the middle East.
    Nowdays People in Japan have far less cash to splash around in thin times, and prefer to keep their wealth locked up in the bank. But wait the LDP and Koizumi ahve plans to use money people's postal savings , health insurance and banks to inject life into dying stocks. Is there any point in investing people's savings in a falling market?
    The system has always been based on a diligent work force, obidence, non-objective ideas, a constant robotc and hard working system. The Japanese people have sacrificed love, free-time and Family for this dying Japanese system.
    The job-for-life mentality still exists, but the great system is dead.
    Japan however has never rewarded and encouraged people to have individuality , rebel and challange the system. People don't express themselves, be rebelious or creative. Japanese inventors and researchers can not publicly claim their rights because they are viewed as subordinate to their all-great ever-knowing employers.
    The reforms have never come through, cost of living is rising, pension funds are dying, taxes are very high, Bank-OJ plan is daft, and the Japanese Economic growth is forecast to be 0.7%. Japanese stocks are hurting ,TOPIX shares was also being battered. Hitting terrible levels not seen since 1984. Foreign investors may have previously supported this market but investors are now very uncertain with the LDP.
    central bank to buy up stocks if prices are too low to cause the economy to rebound. This is madness.Making the Central Bank directly intervene in the country's main Shares and Stock martkets is a policy that is simply unheard of. Almost No other country in the World does it!!to have the central bank intervene directly in the stock market is nearly unheard of anywhere else in the world
    The Catch 22 of the Nippon Bank , in a shocking first for any central bank of any industrialized nation, is planning to pump more Yen buy shares held by financial institutions.
    How can the Japanese Bank now ensure price, growth and econoomic stability. These shares are too risky an investment and will only contribute to a longer period of deflation. The faster disposal of bad loans can cause the possibility more deflation and a deeper recession as bankruptcies and unemployment increase.
    The Yen should be kept strong , if the Yen drops more people may start dumping their Yen-savings for a better currency such as the Euro, Pound or Dollars.
    I think Japan will survive, but it needs real changes and tactical reforms and fast, otherwise this will only be a fracation of it's problems. However it may no loner be the 2nd strongest Economy.

Panasoictsu..Don't laugh, but weep for the future!

..Around 2 months time will be a totally different story for Japan, the War with Iraq should come in 4-12 weeks. Koizumi's crew have tried to weakning the Yen to increase exports, but the Falling Yen is hurting Japan badly. Imports of Foodstuffs, Chemicals and Oil are becoming very costly. The domestic plunge is being fueled by a drop on European, American exchanges and the rising value of the yen, which hurt export-oriented companies, such as automakers and electronics manufacturers, the manufacturing industry is getting hurt and the Japanese are spending less.

The giant Corps like TEPCO and NipponSteel and the Japanese Banks who have already suffered losses are going to find life more difficult with increasing Oil prices and a weakneing Yen. These Giant Corps which have showed billions of yen in unrealized losses from plunging shares will see even worse capital fallout. It will also create some horrible half-year reports for the Japanese banks. When bank shares start to fall, they pull the corporate shareholder's stocks into the mess too, this will also bring down stocks of banks that hold plunging shares. Bank losses may have swelled to 5 trillion Yen in recent days. The Plunge in Bank stocks may result in horrible year reports for banks. This will increase their bad loans, and postpone banks in writing off loans. Many of Japan's companies, insurance schemes and stockbrokers are desperately trying to sell off their cross-share holdings before the Year settlement at the end of the September . This will cause more falls in stocks, a weaker Yen, more costly imports, less profit and more job losses. This deadly downward spiral could rapidly spin out of control. Foreign Investors will wonder about the stability of Japan's economy and wonder about the nation's economic prospects. Watch out for the Banks and Life insurance comapnies, the cash situation in Japan is going nuts, Be Careful, Invest it somewhere else. if you have cash in Japan then take it out now!!

Politcal Corruption, Declining Birth Rates, Corporate Scandals, Dropping Shares in Life insurance companies, a more uncertain but compeditive world market....
    ....Foreign Investors now unsure about investing in a fragile economy....

Japan can be fixed if Koizumi shows good leadership, gets rid of the corrupt lawmakers, does something to stop the scandals and creates new jobs. But Koizumi has been a failure before. If new jobs are not created then less money will move and the governmnet will get less income tax. New inventive policies will not be implement.

Is 130 a bad Dream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scratavar

I'm a punk / ska kind guy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Moved, in a rather ironic way, to the music forum, to stem the flow of people telling me that this thread should be moved:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You have disco in twice and not one option for Hip-Hop. Tut tut
    Yeah well that's my vote, Hip-Hop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Out of what was listed, Classical.
    Originally posted by BJJ

Goth Metal

Interesting thing about this.
    I was just telling a friend of mine about this.
    I'd only listen to Goth, or Metal.
    Goth Metal just doesn't seem to work.
    Only 1 band I've ever heard has really pulled it off.
    Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i voted for drum and bass, it was the nearest i could find to my real choice..... BLUES [why was blues left out??}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'm partial to a bit of progressive atari jaguar myself, can't find it here though :confused:

Seriously, there are too many genres not here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Seems I forgot a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

no ****. the problem with this thread isn't that you forgot a few, it's that it's a bad idea to start with in the first place. It's just a dumb question, just as bad as "Who's the best band ever?"

Although, on a warmer note, audiogalaxy.com provides a really interesting encyclopedia of musical genres. It's quite extensive and informative and gives examples of bands which belong to each genre. It's worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

worst thread ever, its like one of those 60`s compilation albums that has no Beatles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Genre! I hate that word in relation to music!

It's like there so many clueless people out there that the have to plug into a 'genre' because it would be too much of a stretch of their brainpower to decide for themselves whether they like a piece of music or not.

Advertisement