Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas

Options
  • 15-08-2002 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

And in particular the Harcourt line.

Why are they bringing it down to ground level in ranelagh when theres the infrastructure to bridge it across roads? Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was under the impression they were going up high in Ranelagh....anywho, afaik, the old bridge and stuff in place from the previous lines wasn't viable to carry the luas, ie it was wrecked. I thought they were going to rebuild it to carry the luas, but obviously they've decided to stick it onto the streets and further annoy the traffic. God I love driving a bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i also cant wait to see how they are going to get it over the canal since the stakis hotel is where it used to cross :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

It will not be running at ground level in Ranelagh. They are digging out the old rubble in the inbankment as it was not strong enough too carry the trams. It will cross the canal with out a problem as they made the builders of the hotel and the offices leave a gap, so it can run between the two building. By the time it is at the canal it will be about 30 feet up from ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

any1 see the bridge in dundrum all that building & only half a foot off when the met in the middle , muppets
    i could not believe my eyes
    don't worry lads i pays taxes just increase it next year to cover it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

They do this things for a reason - not because they're "muppets". It's pretty obvious that they're going to adjust the tension in the cables, even if your not a structual engineer...

There's a load of photos of it here:

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/dundrum/0code2/luas-bridge-020801-215131.html

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/dundrum/luas-bridge-12.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I cant with for the Luas to be up and running, but i am discusted by the prevaricating thats going on about building the Luas/Metro to the airport.

Surely they can see the large no's of people using the airport will make it financially viable!
    And it would reduce the huge no's of car journeys daily to the airport and back.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by Coyote
    It will not be running at ground level in Ranelagh. They are digging out the old rubble in the inbankment as it was not strong enough too carry the trams. It will cross the canal with out a problem as they made the builders of the hotel and the offices leave a gap, so it can run between the two building. By the time it is at the canal it will be about 30 feet up from ground level.
    And I think I'd like to add that us residents on the Harcourt Line Embankment are currently disputing the Luas authority because, contrary to a promise made by themselves some months ago and in the environmental impact study, they refuse to erect privacy and sound-reducing screening on the embankment.

Neither the Luas authority nor government ministers are taking this seriously enough.

I'd very much like to know if anyone else here has the same problem. If a critical mass occurred, perhaps something could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Harcourt Line is the one that runs through Sandyford/Kilmacud right?
    I should probably know that conisdering it runs right behind my house.:(
    They built a big wall for us, about 8.5feet high backgarden side on track side it's about 13/14feet high.
    The sooner the LUAS is up and running the better, the damn thing cant be as loud as the JCBS and trucks and the like that wake me up at 6:30 every morning.
    Also, when the line crosses the road, just before the reservoir, does anybody know if they are building a little bridge or a level crossing. I wouldnt have thought a level crossing 20 metres from a roundabout would be too safe.
    Oh and they hit a gas main there the other day just to add to the excitement of it all. :rolleyes:

Where do you live? This could be useful.

Lakelands.
    Just opposite Allegro (well what used to be Allegro). Up the end closest to the reservoir.

• Advertisement

Just to add a bit more.
    We also got our backgardens extended roughly 9 feet or something like that. Depending on where your house was along the line it may have been a bit more or a bit less.
    The residents association had plenty of talks with the LUAS people, it took a lot of pestering and persistence IIRC. I don't know everything about it TBH. Also I think there were solicitors involved in getting it sorted.
    It was quite messy. There were a lot of different permutations and combinations thrown into the mix.
    They want to build a carpark out there too as there is a station at the reservoir. I dont know if this is going ahead. There were also talks of a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've seen actual track being laid on the Abbey st - tallaght line on the on the naas road near the Red Cow. Quite surprised to see it after all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Excuse my ignorance, but is it going underground anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

There was a brief plan to run it underground from Harcourt street, that died a death tho.

Dada, where on the harcourt line are you? (obviously im in ranelagh:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by amp
    I've seen actual track being laid on the Abbey st - tallaght line on the on the naas road near the Red Cow. Quite surprised to see it after all this time.

I saw that track today. Looks bloody large. More like Train line than a Light Tram.... Bloody messy. I can see hassel when they start laying it in the CityCentre. I see ramps for bikers :)

Originally posted by Dustaz
    There was a brief plan to run it underground from Harcourt street, that died a death tho.

Dada, where on the harcourt line are you? (obviously im in ranelagh:) )

Ranelagh/Dartmouth Square area. The residents need to get an action committee together.

Advertisement