Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PWS v's IIS

Options
  • 15-08-2002 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I need to setup IIS and SQL Server for an ASP application on my home machine to develop off..

I am running win98.

I know that in the add-ons dir of the win98 cd you can set up PWS but is that my only option? Can i set up IIS? With O'Reilly or Apache or something?

Does anybody out there have links to a good tutorial or too about how to set it all up... I presume it's really just a point and click job to specify the datasource.

Im lost in a sea of peripherals
    :(

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

tbh with you, i`d upgrade to either 2k PRO/XP PRO as both have IIS installed.

But afaik Win98 has PWS(i`ve never used it on 98)

How to install PWS

How to set it up

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If its just for DEV purposes use PWS you wont lose that much and its less hassle very easy to set up and get working etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...PWS is a cut-down version of IIS 4.0. Apart from the fact that IIS is now up to version 6.0 (the .NET flavour - however, most sites are using 5.0 for now) it's already a bit behind; most notably in the fact that PWS supports ASP 2.0 whereas IIS 5.0 supports ASP 3.0.

(IIS will not install on Windows '98. You'll need an NT-based version of windows - NT, 2000 or XP)

Also, I seem to remember that the error messages returned by PWS were rubbish when compared to those from IIS 5.0 - this may be a worthwhile point when you're using it for development...

As regards setting it up "With O'Reilly or Apache or something?", that's redundant, isn't it? IIS/PWS is a web server already, and installing other web servers on the same box won't automagically give them ASP support they don't otherwise have (unless you want an open-source version that uses a different language to VBA, such as Apache::ASP's implementation in Perl). Also, the O'Reilly Web Server has been discontinued for ages now - you should avoid it like the plague.

Hope this helps clarify things,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Hope this helps clarify things,

it does.. thanks

unfortunately ill be working off a laptop
    and need to have win98 on it.. the drivers
    for my modem are win98 only, ditto for my
    display drivers..

i could try to get around it, partition my hard drive..
    but then im seriously entering a world of pain:D

thanx all...

SO...with windows 98 do i go for

SQL Server
    or
    mySQL

.......:rolleyes:?

• Advertisement

...that depends, doesn't it?

(After all, SQL Server is quite expensive payware, MySQL is free)

Also, as far as I know, MySQL doesn't support ADO or DAO, which will make direct manipulation of tables and records from ASP a little more complicated.

Maybe you could try Access while you're testing? It's far from ideal as databases go, but...

Gadget

not having much experience with sql, i`m not sure.

I use IIS 5, and downloaded the php installer from php.net

You may have to do some reading around to find out more.

Which one can you get etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrigHOST

It all depends on what you want to develop in. I use php and mysql locally on an iis 5 machine but upload the scripts to an apache webserver

Sean

...if it's ASP you want to develop, you need either SQL Server or Access to get ADO support. Otherwise, you can specify other databases and use DAO, but it's being phased out by the boys in Redmond as far as I'm aware.

Just my 2c...
    Gadget

yup i installed pws, and got a dummy hello world.asp file working, so all is going well, i have ultradev and you can specify datasources in it.. so ill mess around with an access database, but keep all the database connectivity in a seperate <!-- include file --> and just edit that when i am done with the developement. and go live with it...

• Advertisement

If you`re seriously into it, i advise going the win2k/xp route.

Altho if it works fine on 98, stick with that.

thanks ... i know but as i said
    ill be working off a laptop
    and need to have win98 on it.. the drivers
    for my modem are win98 only, ditto for my
    display drivers..

i could try to get around it, partition my hard drive..
    but then im seriously entering a world of pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

http://www.net-language.com/workshops/Default.asp?workshop=22
    [edit]But I see you've already worked it out[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

watch out for SQL Server/Access incompatibilities.

if you are going to use SQL Server/MySQL now is the time to do it

other wise u could end up wasting loads of time with access

Advertisement