Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a theory

Options
  • 15-08-2002 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I've come up with an interesting theory. The universe doesn't exist. We're all just a collective conciousness who have dreamed it up. The world is just an illusion of our hopes and fears moulded by our positive and negative thoughts. Think about it. It's probably true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

You cannot be told what the Green Hand Guy is; you must see it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

As I said when you said that to me: Stop playing Final Fantasy X. It is warping you even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Barry we both know you're the FFX freak here. And anyway, I thought this all up a long time ago. It was inspired by a joke in a simpsons book which asks if it's possible that the universe is just the dream of a gigantic super beetle. Of course that's probably not true but my theory can explain everything in the entire universe. It also explains why nobody can think of a colour they have never seen. The colour only exists because it was dreamt up in their subconcious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

There has to be a universe so that we actually have something which can think, e.g. a brain.

Colour is energy reflections depending on wavelength. Unromantic but true.

Anyone played Alpha Centauri? "We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?" Solipsism, that's what that is. And nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Yeah, this is one of those things that changes nothing. Whether it's true or not. I'm still going to go back to school, and come off my sugar-high and run up the phone bill so what does it matter if I'm really a dream or in a jar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Think of it this way article6. You think conciousness needs to exist in some sort of brain. But where did you learn that? In this universe that you could have dreamed up yourself. Therefore the laws of everything might not exist outside of this dream universe. Which means that conciousness could exist nowhere, outside of any universe or space. It would just be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

agghhhhhurrrrraahhhhhhhhhfffffhhhhhhhhhsshhhhhhhh pfft!
    I dunno I'm cycling between sad, lonely, quiet, hyper and overwhelmed! woooooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhh yay!!!

anyway, okay, my mind is going faster than i'm typing this is bad.

FFX, r0x0rs! I just got to the bit with the stuff (I will not utter it here for I hate spoilers, and like wise if anyone else posts one I'll woop you good!)
    what is it these days that anygame iwth anything resembling an extensive story line is to do with pop psychology?
    I mean, MGS2, was good, and the story line was great . . . if you hadnt heard it all before. sure to your average teenager it was all new and mindopening, but it went on for so long!

. . . ahhhh I just said something about mgs2 where i didnt praise it totally! I really am in a strange mood

but anyway, I'd heard it all before, usually from the Ars Technica soap box. but ag wff I forget where iwas going with this
    <insert noise of detachment from reality>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by Green Hand Guy
    I've come up with an interesting theory. The universe doesn't exist. We're all just a collective conciousness who have dreamed it up. The world is just an illusion of our hopes and fears moulded by our positive and negative thoughts. Think about it. It's probably true.
    Very teenagery thing to make up in your head. Then you realise that your assumptions are unsound. Totally unproveable and groundless.
    There has to be a universe so that we actually have something which can think, e.g. a brain.
    No substance can think. Thinking is a function of a complex biological system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

and as i hope you know quantum physics has thought us that the universe only exists because we experience it, conciousness collapses the wave function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Here's a better theory. ;p

If we can look at all existance as a whole, and then look beyond it (ok... here's where it gets weird) you'll find absolutely nothing. There is nothing beyond existence... in fact beyond existance doesn't exist... So existance is bordered by lack of existance or non-existance... right? hence it can be assumed that existance exists within non-existance.... ok?

If i haven't lost you already, there IS a point to this... let's examine one of the principles of physics... energy <in the broadest sense... including matter> cannot be created or destroyed... but if everything exists within nothing it must have somehow come from nothing... but it can't have been created so it must have always been there. but that's impossible. hence! existance doesn't exist.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Now do the same to prove that there's no god!

pah! just look up the "Twelve Proofs There Is No God" or whatever it is called. Logic proved that MANY centuries past.

Of course, our logic is likely flawed. AHA! as crowley said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Here's another theory that just popped into my head....Ever think we're jsut a figment of someones imagination? therfore, someone else mind dictates our surroundings. The question is though, would they also dictate or thoughts, or would it be completely seperate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Logic was also used to prove the existence of God and that failed too.

Here's another question. Dumb questions like imagining we're somebody's dream aside, do we have free will at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Dadakopf: that wasn't a stupid question, it was a theoritical supposition :)

as per free will, i am undecided on how i feel on that topic. Cus if we don't, then time travel is possible, cus....well...me likes time travel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭joe the coat

free will... well my instinctive reaction is if i dont have it im going to find who controls me and hit them very hard... but htats impossible. but lets be a little depressed; do we really have freedom in how we react to things or is it all down to geneticly programed instincts? i hope that we do or my life and possibly others will have/have been prtty pointless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

You probably do have free will, but you can never be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

Originally posted by DadaKopf

Very teenagery thing to make up in your head. Then you realise that your assumptions are unsound. Totally unproveable and groundless.

and that's a very unimpassioned view to impose upon us. do you realise that we *are*, in fact, teenagers? why are you bothering to try to crush the opinion of someone else obviously younger and more impressionable than yourself? anyway, f*ck proving stuff. part of having free will is being able to believe in something based on pure faith. in other words, you shouldn't need to be told something is right to make it so. so basically you're just contradicting yourself. :rolleyes: ;)

sHep :cool:

by the way, sven is right, we don't exist. when you average out the amount of blank space in the universe to the amount of matter, it's only about 0.00001 to millions or something (i don't know, i'm just making up the figures to illustrate my point). anyway, in the great scheme of things, we don't have any significance whatsoever except to ourselves. sorta pathetic really isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

hmmm....i like those theories.

except i think a universe does exist. cos if something is controlling us then they have to exist, right? and the superlative (wrong word, what's the word for a big abstract noun thing like mammal? superlative is strongest, right? but ya get the idea) of what they would exist in would be what i'd call a universe.

i think there's a bit more wind in that theory by david icke that says the world is controlled by 147 or something big lizards. except i think maybe they're people, and not lizards.

Hmm... if we ARE puppets then how are we able to be aware of ourselves to the degree whereby we can question whether we are puppets or not...

I dunno about fate either... Fate isn't about lack of free will, it's about unavoidability... I mean... what is fated to happen can happen a thousand ways, and it's all down to us how that fate plays out...

But nevermind... I'll just go back to my mystic studies.

ZOSO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement