Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Arts

Options
  • 15-08-2002 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Anyone going to do UCD arts? I dont think i know anyone that will be in first year doing my subjects, so if anyone is doing german or history of art private message me please!!!!!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

History of Art is a small enough year and mostly full of girls, which is nice. Don't know about German. My experience of Arts was that inevitably, people you know randomly end up in Arts and everything's cool. But instead of expecting your friends to show up, why not make some new ones? In UCD, that's never a problem.

Sign up to all the societies you're interested in during Freshers' Week and go along to the drinks receptions. Why if you're interested in journalism or want to write for a college newspaper, drop in to the College Tribune office downstairs next to the Trap - they're very nice in there and you might even get free booze if you're really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

i'm going to UCD to do arts think i'm taking psychology sociology and something else though!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

quite possible i'll be doing psychology and sociology in ucd too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    drop in to the College Tribune office downstairs next to the Trap
    Closer to Dramsoc (LG1) if I remember correctly, back when I wrote for it.

With regard to Arts in UCD, one subject is much the same as another in the grand scheme of things; the only proviso being getting that first job. After that, ppl will only care that you have a degree from UCD. Nothing else.

As such (were I to do it all again) I'd suggest doing those subjects that you feel you'll enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I don't know when you did Arts but the Tribune office couldn't be further from Dramsoc. I should know, I was responsible for getting it!

When did you write for the Tribune and what did you write?

As for your comments about the Arts education: while you're right that it's people's skills and their experience that counts, that's not to ignore the fact that an arts education is still a very valuable one and I'm often sickened that Irish people put such an emphasis on 'real', technical subjects when in the end of the day, the skills those courses teach are very limited. With an arts education you can do anything you want. If anything, I consider it more valuable. Every subject is fundamentally different to the other and the knowledge and skills that come with them are essentially different. Do it's very important that you do what you're interested in because it WILL matter when you begin entering into a chosen career path.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    When did you write for the Tribune and what did you write?
    A long time ago... Although, I wrote mainly for the SU paper and was written about more than wrote in the CT which resulted in my taking legal action on at least one occasion. Still, ‘twas nothing personal as I also brokered the advertising revenue deal the CT had in the mid nineties. But enough nostalgia...

Of an Arts degree, I completely agree with you, but nothing I posted said anything to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

cool kamobe might see ya there :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Is it true what I heard, that anyone who gets over 500+ points and is accepted to UCD arts gets a €1300 grant????

I suppose thats to drag the points for the course up and make it more respectable. Perhaps to lose the sterotype it has as a piece of "toilet paper"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

Yeah History here too, and Spanish and probably English.

My 425 might yet get the International Spanish BA but it's Arts either way....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by Ms Taken
    i'm going to UCD to do arts think i'm taking psychology sociology and something else though!
    originally posted by kamobe quite possible i'll be doing psychology and sociology in ucd too....

oh, for the love of god, please, no!!!!!!!!! if you value your sanity, DO NOT do sociology- if there's a hell, that what it's gonna be like!!!! maybe you won't, but i found it the most boring subject on the face of the planet- it's completely pointless navel gazing trying to pass itself off as a science. euch!

if you do take psychology, please please make sure you like the other 2 subjects you pick. if you can't see yourself spending 3 years studying for a degree in those subjects, don't choose them, because unless you have no social life whatsoever throughout 1st year, and work your ass off instead, you're gonna be doing those two. no matter how confident you are that you're definitely going to get into 2nd year psychology, don't count on it!

as some of the others said, get involved!- you're going to join like 20 different societies during freshers week, just cos the guy on the stand is cute and they give out free icecream, but pick one or two that really appeal to you- there's bound to be some- and stick with them, get involved in their activities, drinks, nights out, etc etc etc (you'd be surprised how much time you can spend in college, not actually *doing* anything) look at the people on the stand of those societies and clubs that really appeal to you- these people will be your new friends for the next 3 years!

oh, and please don't join the L&H- it's evil! (or B&L for that matter!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just wondering if anyone else saw those 2 muppets in the orientation lecture who started screaming at the Dj feller :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    Is it true what I heard, that anyone who gets over 500+ points and is accepted to UCD arts gets a €1300 grant????

I think its more like 530, correct me if I'm wrong. Cheque's coming 6th nov, cant wait! Everyone in maths science got one this year. Arts is the easiest one to get (science/TP/CS/mathsci 550, engineering 575 etc).

Advertisement