Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brando and Lender

Options
  • 16-08-2002 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

i went to the gig last night, nice to see so many people there to support brando, even if i do slag them off loads, theyve been aroudn for so long, and they try so hard and theyve got some really really great songs. beauty on the tv is one of those 'nostalgic phantom' songs, that reminds me of when iw as a few years younger. i dont like all their stuff, but some of its corkin!

i didn't really like lender though, what did everyone else think? they were a bit too...i dont know, maybe fast for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Brando well done to a fine gig - love the 'say you love me' song and 'singular death of privacy'

thought it was really good gig overall by brando and the new(????) guitarist suits u really well

lender however were a different kettle of fish altogether

they started off like a charlatans cover band and then got heavier and heavier and thenfinally had a jamming session onstage for about 15 minutes - very talented but as u say drowner not my cup of bovril....................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

the new guitarist was very good...no disrespect to the old one but anyone who doesnt know how to tune up a guitar shouldnt be in a band....;)

the new one fit in very well....looks familiar though, does anyone know him from another band?

don't know him from any other bands but yeah u r rite the other guitarist was strange - it wasn't the fact that he couldn't tune his guitar it was the fact that he played 3 songs with the guitar really badly out of tune!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Really really unfair criticism of Steff, he played very well any time I saw Brando live,....give it a break you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

I'm with Trev on this one. Steff was a great guitarist and in all the times I saw Brando I never had any complaints about his playing. I doubt Elton would have played with him for six years otherwise.

• Advertisement

it wasnt steff!!!!!! steff is excellent! it was one of the replacements!

theyve had a few replacements recently since steff and i was talking about one of them!

Apologies apologies ..i wasn't aware that there were other guys in between Steff and the current guitarist...

its fine, when i said 'old' guitarist i wasnt very clear! its because i never (at least, i dont remember) saw steff live with the band, but ive heard such great stuff about him.

yes apologies i did not mean steff either as from what i hear he is amazing i was talking about a different guy at one of the gigs we saw.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Leila

Brando are absolute cack and should not be encouraged
    Christ they give new meaning to the word bland

Ive =said it before - but trying hard is not good enough in my book
    Its a peculiarly Irish attitude -
    The world does not need another mediocre band which is what Brando are
    Now Im sorry if this hurts/offends anyone's sensibilities but sometimes its better to rip the band aid right off in one quick motion than prolong the agony (Brando career allegory #1)

its not working for them
    They've gone as far as they are going to go
    They should split up
    (unless the replacement guitarist is Tommy Stinson or westerberg himself that is)

In my view Brando have done really well , they will go further and are off to the states to play a load of gigs, great opportunity for the guys , will no doubt be an excellent experience for them and they deserve all the success they get in my opinion.....

i dont like a lot of their songs, but the ones i do like are absolute gems and if they split up that would rule out any possibilty of such good music, so why be so negative?

yeah i reckon theyve got the potential to make it, id say they could appeal to a lot of people if they were given the chance.

You obviously like your music to be passionate and exciting
    Have you checked out the Hootie and the Blofish live lp ?
    It really captures their raw power

dont diss hootie and the blofish, o all-knowing one! U've hit me where it hurts!

leila you should check out Loyden(Spell) Wainright III he'll really rock your booty.......if your into some energetic passionate stuff.

what the hell is wrong with hootie???????????!?!?!!!!!!!!

also I would recommend Wesley Willis Pure Genius.....

Whoopin Batmans ass all the way

I ve heard he is quite good but not heard his stuff
    Loudon ( Ibelieve)
    I dont puport to be all knowing I just hate the parochial back slapping of Dublin
    But perhaps you are right : brando have enough the middle of the road banality of Curtis steiger to take the American heartland by storm
    let me just finish by saying they suck and someone has obviously pinched all your ears
    *sends out ear search party*

Originally posted by Leila

I dont puport to be all knowing

let me just finish by saying they suck and someone has obviously pinched all your ears

lets play a game. its called 'spot the contradiction'

and im not parochially slapping anyone's back, im saying these things because i mean it, not because i think i should.

• Advertisement

i can vouch for that cos rosemary slags off brando quite a lot.........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Uhhhh, here's my two cents, for what its worth......

Imagine the world if we all liked the exact same thing. There would probably be a global conglomerate putting out all the same rubbish year after year and we'd all buy it......wait a minute....there is!! Its called Louis Walsh! But seriously, I would never dismiss a band as rubbish. Ever. Not if I go to one of their gigs and there's people there enjoying every minute. That's when people should think..'Just because I don't like them, doesn't mean they're crap....'

If bands are out there, doing it with their guitars (maybe I should rephrase that considering who we're talking about!!!), just playing their music, shouldn't we be glad that they are doing that, and not inflicting pop music on us?

Brando, as much as I slag them off, do a brilliant live set and I found myself singing along with all the songs......

Lender were all right, but sheesh, that singer really liked himself. Give him maracas and he'd have been Bez.

But the question of the night was: which one was it that got his lad out on the screen???

Moderation by Pete Reed in 10...9...8...7...6....5.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 myles

LEILA is a typical 'change my name because everyone hates me' poster.

Definitley a bloke
    definitley a jelous musician
    definitley a chip on his shoulder ( whip out the pollyfilla )

we'll always hate your agro opinions.

Ah well, fair play to ya. Deep breaths... Let it all out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

But where would we be without these teenage angsty remarks?

'You all suck!! Everythings rubbish!! Nobody understands me!!' *stump stump stump SLAM!!*
    Brando are absolute cack and should not be encouraged

All bands should be encouraged. Every band. Everyone influences someone else.

Loads of bands I love list bands I hate amongst their influences.

There's always the option of ...let me see...uh....not listening to Brando if you don't like them?

I like 'em, I want to listen to them, and my opinion is important to me.

I hate the Chili Peppers, yet I'm not out there waving a banner to get them taken off the airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I wasn't gonna reply to this thread coz my mates all know how much I love Brando and Leila was just soooo bitter sounding...but once I read Myles' reply I had to say something! Fantastic! Big up to da tall fella!
    And Silverfish...ur so right...teenage angst all the way through Leila's posts. And yes, all bands should be encouraged. Nobody likes to be shot down when they're doing their best, and let me just finish by saying the Brando's best is damn good.

ah u had to finish it off with an i love brando bit didn't u hehe just joking

Brando do an amazing live set and that is what u go and c them for so fair plate to them although i may not like them on CD or Tape that much thay have been good when i have seen them live

Just to respond
    I am not a bloke (thank you very much!!!) nor am I a 'jealous muscian' (does the recorder count ?)
    Im just a music LOVER!!!! and cant stomach what I perceive as blandness and mediocrity in music
    Is that so wrong ?????

Fair play to you cos if thats all you expect/tolerate then you get what you deserve and thats bands like Brando and Melaton etc

I am as entitled to berate them as you are to defend them
    Opinion is what makes life worth living

Good luck to your Sirs and Madames

I dont meann to sound bitter and twisted but I am, so thats just the way it comes out

Love and Kisses

Leila
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo
    l

well that is a good reply leila and u r rite u do have an opinion aswell i just think the way u r expressing it is bad - i mean u r coming out and rather than say i don't like this band u r saying this band are crap this band suck and so on ....... that is what people are complaining about really..............

True Mr Legs but not nearly as much fun

• Advertisement

i ahve to half agree/disagree with u there silverfish in that i do think some bands are crap and i do think i should be entitled to say that BUT when i do, it is strictly my opinion, i dont think they shold be discouraged because they have other fans, and i DO NOT force my opinion down anyone elses throat, and try to reason with 'if i think its crap, then it IS and anyone who does like it is stupid and shouldnt be given a right to voice their opinion'

disliking a band and giving reasons as to why u dont like them is good in a sense, in that it gives rise to discussion, and people having to think about why they agree/disagree with something. But generalising is really annoying, especially on a message baord, even though i know im being idealistic and there will always be some tosser coming online to antagonise people.

Advertisement