Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6310

Options
  • 16-08-2002 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Getting the 6310 today. A few questions. Any opinions on it? Good bad or indifferent. Does it have the same problem as the 6210 with deciding to switch off when it feels like it? And finally, do you have to get account upgraded to enable the GPRS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm not sure what s/w version is currently being sold in the shops (4.10?) but from what I can tell, there are some major car kit problems & some minor memory/phone book issues. I'm using 4.31 and it seems to have rectified the car kit problems and I haven't encountered the memory issue yet. Personally, I don't really like the phone, but if you're one of those people who liked the 6210, then you should find it to your liking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Personally I thought it wasn't bad for sys support over telnet etc. but the bloody thing could switch off for no reason forcing me to have a call divert on it just in case! Not good when your on call. They think your sitting in a pub swilling pints :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Bought it a couple of months back and am pleasantly surprised at its battery life. I've never had it cut out on me as you suggest and I wasn't a 6210 user so I can't really compare the two, but I will say that I'm very happy with my phone atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

having used both the 6310 and the 6510 extensivly, i'd recommend the 6510 - its smaller,lighter and has all the same features except bluetooth that i've noticed. And with the current price of bluetooth hardware i'm not rushing in to buy a handset for that feature

and i've heard of the 6310 having that turning itself off problem similar to the 6210 - and also the buttons seem somewhat dodgy, most of the ones i've seen have a few dodgy buttons after a few months useage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I am using the 6310 at the moment and I'm fairly happy with it. I was one of those 6210 users and I liked it. The gold looks kinda out of place at first but I've gotten to like it :) Bluetooth is cool, really really worth it if you used to use infrared at all. Although what I would say is if it's possible, try to get the 6310i instead, it's more advanced and future proof (aka Java enabled) and the buttons look way better (i.e. you can see the writting on them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

This 'powering off' problem that's being mentioned, it wouldn't by any chance be the issue with the battery slipping at the back and disconnecting from the phone? This problem was rectified in the 6310 with the introduction of a chunk of plastic to stop the battery from sliding off so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I thought it was due to the battery slipping out. Don't think its the case as I've seen it cut out while its just sitting on the desk? 4 of us had them and all had same problems and all phones we had were quite new.
    Anyone recommend a good bluetooth usb module for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by ding
    Anyone recommend a good bluetooth usb module for it?

I've has issuses with Nokia's 6310 Bluetooth Implementation. The supplied Nokia software would only work with their DTL-4 Bluetooth Card, which was suddenly decomissioned and vanished from their website a few weeks back. Nokia have since transferred PC Card development back to Socket (which they were really only rebranding anyhow).

People have got the supplied software working with the Socket Card (via the DigiAnswer s/w interface) which the Nokia Connection Manager will recognice and use.

For general dial-up networking I use a TDK USB Adapter with it:
    http://www.tdksystems.com/products/intro.asp?ID=4

I've got the 7650 working with the TDK Adapter over Bluetooth but it's not a smooth experience getting the connection going.

The phone arrived with V4.10 in April but I got it updated to V4.20 as it sorted out a number of Bluetooth / GPRS issues. The change from V4.20 to V4.31 that came out at the start of August deals mainly with car-kit issues the phone had.

HTH,
    Brian G

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Fidelis
    This 'powering off' problem that's being mentioned, it wouldn't by any chance be the issue with the battery slipping at the back and disconnecting from the phone? This problem was rectified in the 6310 with the introduction of a chunk of plastic to stop the battery from sliding off so easily.

I had problems with the 6310 powering itself off when using it with the laptop over infra red. If there was any connection problem (e.g. remote computer not answering, bad password, etc.) the phone would seem to "reboot". It would be flat on a table, so there was no possibility of the battery slipping out.

It does appear to be a software problem on the phone itself. Not sure what version it is, though.

TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Fidelis

that issue is still in the 6310, my da has one of em and that exact bug is plagueing him, he's already returned it to nokia once and it took 2+ weeks so he's slow to return it again as he don't like da replacement fones n dat...................

• Advertisement
Advertisement