Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW FEATURES (soon :) )

• 16-08-2002 3:09pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here's an inexhaustive list of the new features in VBB3 which we hope to be including in Boards.ie in a short while.

I've cut some of the admins ones that you dont need to know about and I'm not saying that all of these will be turned on (we're going to have to look at the Karma system long and hard for example). But some of it is just making the admins all wet and gooey. I think you'll like them too....

DeV.

General

Quick registration system...username, password, email and any required custom fields and timezone

Pop-up auto-refreshing buddylist with ICQ-style alerts when new buddies come online. You'll find a link in the temp buttons top right in the nav bar.

Show the title of the last posted to thread for each forum on index.php

Subscription to Threads/Forum without receiving e-mails

Favorite threads - you don't get email from these either.

User rating - Karma

User ranking

Password break-in watches -- too many failed attempts warning with a preset wait after too many failures.

Threaded view

Password protected forums

Similar threads display

Send an email "thanks for registering and welcome to .." on user registration (welcome email)

Validity check for homepages

Search engine friendly archive of open forums

Happy b'day emails

Much improved calander system (too many changes to mention)

hit counter on announcements

Digests: new posts/threads in selected forums daily/weekly/monthly
    (Could be very interesting...--DeV)

"excerpt of message:" are now in the new reply email notifications

'report post to mod' sends anonymous copy to the original poster of the message

Restyled FAQ section now looks similar to a forum

Posting

WYSIWYG Editor for major text input fields (IE 5.5+Only)
    (Could be good, we'll have to see :) --DeV

Minimum number of characters in post

Insert smilie/vB code where cursor is (IE 5+ Only)

Preview on edit (cool -DeV)

Ability to add attachment when editing a post instead of just when creating

Reason for editing

Reason for deleting(for admins and mods)

User CP - Profile

User Pictures - user can upload a personal picture. This picture is shown in the profile of the user.

Completely revamped PM system (currently in work)

Longer signature field with optional limit

Search

Get daily for just one category

Search only in subscribed forums

A list of ignored words or words used in a search are added to the results page

Option to find only started by 'username'

Display matching forums in results

Support for searching custom profile fields

Search for exact username (e.g. turn off wildcards)

Polls

Option for users to see who voted for which option (public vote)

When you vote your name is highlighted when viewing results

Poll results ordered by most to less voted

Ability to post a poll AFTER a thread had started

ADMIN(Lots of Muppet control features....mmm fried muppet, my favourite -- DeV)

Allow users to change usergroups automatically based on postcount

User notes -- A field for the admin to keep notes on the user

Place user under moderation

Extended Moderator Activity Logging

Add usergroup with permissions initially set as set for another group

Improved email address ban

Signature length control (topical or what :) --DeV)

Styles

Completely revamped Style system

Conditionals in templates. Also called vB Conditionals, these are "if" "then" "else" statements built directly into the templates. This gives the admin/designer improved flexibility in creating dynamic design

(hopefully all of this will free us from the restrictions on user-based styles for boards.ie and you will be able to design and upload your own... DeV.)

Code

An API for posting functions (newreply, newthread, newpoll, editpost) (Now we really power other sites--DeV).

An option to have thread views updated hourly rather than immediately

Design

Back to Top link at bottom of page

"Want to register?" and "Forgotten your password?" before user/pass form fields, for using tab

Usability

Hitting the back button no longer necessary when you have too many images

Option to save cookie *on this computer* when logging in
    (great for Cybercafes!--DeV)

Login/logout ability in all pages, with user/pass form -- single login system

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Login/logout ability in all pages, with user/pass form -- single login system

Option to save cookie *on this computer* when logging in
    (great for Cybercafes!--DeV)

About time too,

nice, looking good, corr blimey gov, oh er etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Excellent, I log in all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Insert smilie/vB code where cursor is (IE 5+ Only)
    great, gets on my nerves when i have to started cut/paste smilies etc from bottom to top of my post.

a lot of cool improvements there Dev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ohhhhh shiney !!
    one more id like to see is the quick post feature atthe bottom of a thread, u know the one im on about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Quick registration system...username, password, email and any required custom fields and timezone
    i'm taking it this wont be implemented because of the possibility of spam accounts(/me tries to look unlike a spammer)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Happy Birthday e-mails! Aawww!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Looking very good
    When should we expect these new improovements over.. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

"Subscription to Threads/Forum without receiving e-mails"

Oh good, I won't have to use my flaky boards mail parsing bug riddled php/procmail scripts anymore. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This stuff is all in one big upgrade we'll do soon.

Loads of stuff will break because of it and we'll fix them as we go :)

We expect to do it in the next few weeks

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

A lot of thoese things i though they should of added a long time ago cos like Password protecting threads isint that hard.

Though....the new additions are looking great :D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yes, I think they have stored up all these changes for a major version release as admins were getting annoyed with all the patching and minor release stuff.

btw, I think your new sig is much better then the old one.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some of those new features look good. Especially some of the mod ones - like the idea of a proper "reason for deleting" feature. Editing posts rather than deleting them is sometimes handy but this'll hopefully stop people posting new threads called "why was my post deleted you big bad mod"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

"Quick Reply" form PLEASE!?
    quick_replys.jpg

Have to agree there, the reply form would be very useful. With that and the minimum characters in post and so on, it shouldn't have much of an increase in spam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by daveirl:

people will have to be far more inventive to up their post count

I think we'll find the posts to the humor board is going to drop quite dramatically. :)

Overall the changes seem cool. The option to upload your own profile pic is a nice addition IMO. Still, it would be cooler if we could get custom avatars (the 1000 or so on offer aren't good enough for me :D ). The quickreply option looks the most promising in terms of convenience, and I like the improvements to the search engine. One feature that would be useful in this regard is an option to view all threads within a specific time frame (e.g between 2-7-02 and 5-7-02) - handy for when you forget the name of the thread but remember when it was first posted.

Nah custom avatars is a bad idea, just look at the many other forums with custom avatars enabled, it's messy, people upload any old crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Qualin Hess

Some of us allready have coustme Avatars. 8¬P
    But ya have to make em, make em good and be real nice to daddy Cloud to get em. I put together all the Cammarilla ones for my LARP group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

I know of the karma function, and all it dose is encourage trolls, and the like.if you do include it, please give the option to abstain, but all it dose is lead to muppetery.

at first it seems like a good idea, but pretty soon it just degenerates in to a popularity contest, with the newbies licking ass all round. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

cloud9.jpg

this post deserves it. how come i cant see the spelling feature back into action?

adnans

• Advertisement

dunno about the spelling feature I think VBulletin had some falling out with dictionary.com possibly.

As for Karma, in the form it was in the last time I dont think we'd reinstate it. There may be something new in this version that allows the admins to collectively mark people for muppetry etc.
    As you say Ajnag , to be used with caution.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 simpsons rule

how soon did you say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

oldposts.jpg

Waiting for vBulletin 3, which hasn't been released yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

When ya's move server and upgrade at least you won't have to change the " We've migrated to a new, faster server in Ireland. Hope you like the speed increase!" bit on the main page, which is labeled 'news' and has no date. I like that. You really do plan the future events well, minimising the work load! :)

T'is a shame the little niddly bits arn't updated more. I'm sure you could rope in some unsuspecting mod. I'd even do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

you going to redesign boards.ie?

maybe make some minor but convenient layout/design changed & other mods when the new version is implimented?

Yes, we're planning a redesign too (in fact Daz has done some nice work on it...) but we're so busy right now that we havent had time to even give him a list of stuff that has to go on the front page (I want to work them around a bit).

All in good time...

(and where the HELL is VBB 3.0? grrrrr)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

bit of colour would be nice, (i.e. user has choice of colour scheme)

or one colour scheme that is less grey(mebbe a bit of the green teedle ee..sorry)

That's what we have Styles for. Click the User CP button on the top right of every page, goto options, and down near the end of the page is where you select your desired style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Custom avatars can be in the super duper boards that will be charged for.

You could have it so, maybe, admins or certain mods that are here a long time would need to pre-approve them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I'm not looking forward to seeing Karma back - I remember it too well from the last time.

Everything else: lookin' sweet.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Dave, those were only suggestions! (some of them were very good though).

I'll look for the list for VBB3

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Celt
    "Quick Reply" form PLEASE!?
    quick_replys.jpg
    be bee be bee ba bo bo, bee bop bo bo bo

Advertisement