Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a PC ?

Options
  • 17-08-2002 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if its worth my time getting a new desktop for college. I will be doing a computer course for sure (probably in NCI by the looks of it) My current comp only has 500mb left on the hard drive and is rampent with spyware and other crudy stuff.

Should I bother getting a new Pc for my course or are the computers at whatever college I end up in ok ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by substr
    you don't need a high end machine for computer science imo,
    for programming you only need a very basic system with some good software for doing project work

/me nods head

just give your pc some maintanence & lovin and it will shine to the occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

give yer hd a good ol format.

if you MUST use jbuilder for programming, it can hog memory, so check out stuff like that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I went to nci (nc102 i think?) we were the first year to do the course back in '98, they have lots of facilities there alright but you might want to get a pc that you can mess around with Vb on at home as your expected to do loads of project work which is a bit ****...but its kickin college...dj's in the canteen & stuff + 10mins from town....I really liked that place alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

So the college is worth going to then Phonix as I am doing A plc this year and after i can either go to NCI(National Certificate in Computing)or Galway IT (Computers With Bussiness Applications) Any how which one would you recommened.Both seem nice courses and at the end all I want is a job in Programming so which one you recommened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I would highly recommend NCI, its a great college (nice & small) everyone is really friendly, lectureres are sound & its only 10 mins from town... really cool college

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

If you going to get a PC, make sure you get a larger monitor than a 15" if your programming, I hate doing programming on my 15" monitor at home so I will soon be getting a 19" monitor.

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Having a PC is very handy for college work but you don't really need that powerful a machine for the work bit.

If you're getting one (and you have space & money) a few extra quid might be a worthwhile investment for a decent monitor. (I bought a 19" flat CRT and its well worth it).

If you're own pc isn't that old it will probably do the job perfectly leaving you with more beer money.

You could always throw an extra new HDD or some extra RAM in it ... makes the world of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

A good monitor is important if you'll be working on your PC for lengthy period. Get one with a refresh rate of at least 100hz, otherwise you'll burn the eye sockets out of your head

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

100hz is excellent, though prehaps 85Hz is a more manageable minimum.
    You wnat 1024x768@85hz at least.
    At the very VERY least.
    15" - 800x600
    17" - 1024x768
    19" - 1182x864/1200xsomething

100hz is savage though :)

dot pitch may also be a factor, especially in 15" and 17", would want to be below .28dpi, .26 being better, anything lower is excellent.
    Flatscreen is good too, or trinitron (tube cut from a cylinder as opposed to a sphere like bubbly tellies.

Advertisement