Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whining Fuc.king maggots?

Options
  • 17-08-2002 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Are the residents around Croke Park justified to moan about having to put up with crowds on matchdays? I mean it's not as if Croker was just dropped on their doorstop 6 months ago so they knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I sympathise with thier situation, but as you said, it didnt just appear overnight and its only a dozen days at most in the year.

Anyway, i better go , i have some residents to annoy on my way to watch the boys in blue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

YES!
    It is the most annoying thing you can imagine being woken up after a late night of working on Saturday night with people banging drums and tooting those gas horn things and car horns blaring and people dropping their pint glasses on the street and shouting and shouting and shouting. I lived in Mountjoy square so got a lot of traffic but even friends living in Parnell street got a lot of noise and madness in the morning.

It is only a few days in the year but it seems like an eternity when it happens. There isn't much to do though. It would be nice if they got more cleaners on the streets for example.

We may be whining frickin maggots but I'd love to see your face on a Sunday morning if I stood outside your house with a car horn blaring for hours on end to simulate what Croke parkers have to deal with.

As for the argument about - 'well, sure, they knew about it when they moved in'. Actually I didn't, I'm just a blow in. Some people have been living there for ages. Some people have to live there given the current climate of housing.

The end of the day you give and take, just remember that you are walking past people's houses on a Sunday feckin morning and they will try and remember that you having a laugh is an important thing for the world to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I used to live right up that area, with the added bonus of being right beside Shelbourne - and while yes it is only a few days a year, when it happens it sucks mightily :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    I used to live right up that area, with the added bonus of being right beside Shelbourne - and while yes it is only a few days a year, when it happens it sucks mightily :/

The trouble is that that the GAA have massivrly extended the gounds, and incresed the number of matches played in the grounds.

As Gordon noted a lot of people move into the area not realising the extent to which the area is taken over on match days

On main match days everywhere within 1-1/2 miles is taken over by the fans, streets, shops, pubs. The fans are usually all in good form, having the craic, but there are a minority who behave like animals.

The other difficulty is of course parking. Anybody in the area cannot have visitors over ona match day, because you can't get parking, because of the fans cars. And while the roads immediadte to the grounds are heavily policed and cordened off, those in the outter ring are left to their own devices.

And oh the horns and klaxons -, what I would like to do to some of those guys!

My experience of this is from having lived on Dorset St, and styed on Mountjoy Sq, and Belveere Row on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yes it is poxy during match season if you live in that area. I lived on Whitworth Road for almost two years, and I had a couple of experiences where people are just fúcking inconsiderate.

One meath bástard mounted the pavement outside my house to park his car right at my gate, so I had to climb the railings to get out of the front garden. I called the coppers and his car was towed. I had great fun watching him look for it a couple of hours later.

The other moment of joy in my two year stint was some idiot parking an orange opal cadet thing outside my house, he was about ten feet away from it and his car alarm went off and the git kept walking to the match. Well no, of course this culchie muckermobile's alarm didn't switch itself off and two hours later it was still screeching into the air so again mise called the lovely GardaÃ_ and they, *cough* 'disabled' the alarm. :D:D:D:D:D

The most annoying thing is going to your local chipper at teh weekend and not being able to order anything you want because it's all blacked out with masking tape because the only thing they want to feed the culchies is battered sausages and chips. Hmpf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement