Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the same spot we were 10years ago

• 17-08-2002 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭

I heard a report yesturday on the radio. The chances of being successful in getting a job now, is the same as in the early 1990's :(:(

And I well believe it, I've been looking for an IT admin job for the last 6months and got 1 interview in that time... I'm fully qualified and have 2years experiance... bloody hell, I cant imagine what it must be like for rookie's coming into IT now, nightmare

The US is looking more attractive every day that goes by

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

I'm fully qualified and have 2years experiance... bloody hell, I cant imagine what it must be like for rookie's coming into IT now, nightmare

You are not alone fella. I am doing some crap contract work at the minute. I have both an iT & accountancy qualification.

Both areas are very slow. There is a definate recession.
    The US is looking more attractive every day that goes by

I am looking at VISAs at the minute. There is a world wide slow down. Then visas are hard to get - especially the US

I am looking towards OZ and New Zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

good luck to you if you decide to go for it ;)

I've always been attrated to the idea of working in the US, surely it will be easier getting a job there, than here :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

same as meshelf, out of work now 4 months, 5 years working and now they reckon I have too much experience for the jobs I am applying for!! drive u mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

So lie. I can't find a software dev job at the moment so when I apply for a job like "data entry clerk in software company" in the hopes of getting my foot in the door, I neglect to mention my degree. A lot of people from my class can't find IT work, and find that mentioning the degree lowers their chances of finding other work. Employers would think : "This fella will leave in a minute if he finds something better".

If you've 5 years experience, say something like "I've spent two years with company X, working on............."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

Employers would think : "This fella will leave in a minute if he finds something better

I am working on a temporary grade 3 contract. The money is poor. The job is less interesting than watching paint dry. I am tired of recrruitment agencies. They are only interested in getting up to date copies of my cv for their database.

I have 2 months in this contract before facing a bleak Christmas.

The US visa situation - I think that it is a lottery system.

I think taking a "lower level" job passes the time - even if you have to alter your CV.

The economy is definiately on the slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

3 or 4 years?
    id give it 6-12 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by substr
    It's in a recession now.. it's in a recession now.. hopefully it will pick back up in 3 or 4 years, i'm supposed to start a computer course in september but i'm strongly thinking about repeating my LC and studying for a job in a more secure industry

OK. yes there is what's known as a technical recession at the moment - which is where inflation out paces growth. But as for a real recession where growth is negative, that's a bit off.

What I will say (and given the forums it might be unpopular) is that it's very heard to feel sorry for the software industry. Naturally anyone who is unemployed has my sympathy. But, the job market had gone crazy, graduates walking in to £20k a year jobs on the basis that they would be worth the money, not that they were. I think what is happening on the IT job front is more of a realignment.

Also looking at the CAO figures, apparently there's been a 50% drop in IT course applications, which may mean that it's actually people who have an interest are still applying, and the ones who just saw pound signs have gone back to law/medicine/pharmacy etc - though this is more a humanities thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

A recession is where the rate of growth in an economy declines for 2 quaters in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

"I think what is happening on the IT job front is more of a realignment."

It maybe true that in the stock markets the IT sector's value is being realigned, but I don't think it would be true in on the job front. In general the story is that there aren't enough decent IT people in the world. When this shortage becomes re-realised as things improve, the prices of IT people will go back to normal. Pissing me off significantly for jumping 2 feet first into the worst of it. At least todays graduates have some warning of the world they're about to face; this time last year naive foolish graduates like myself ended up working well outside of their fields (shop assistants, catering etc). Ireland might not be the best place to be though, since things look a dogs dinner imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by ando
    good luck to you if you decide to go for it ;)

I've always been attrated to the idea of working in the US, surely it will be easier getting a job there, than here :confused:

Forget it.

I am in the US for a while and they are letting people go everywhere. McDonalds is hiring, though.:(

It is just as tight over here, by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

and still one hears about "industry experts" concerned about the low number of students studying IT studies and how demand is growing for IT skills in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by substr
    i'm supposed to start a computer course in september but i'm strongly thinking about repeating my LC and studying for a job in a more secure industry
    i'd say the exact same thing I was saying to people during the boom. Do whatever you enjoy and makes you happy - not how much money you think you can get out of it.

Ironically you'll put so much more enthusiasm into doing something you enjoy, that the odds are you'll make a hella lot more money out of it than doing a job you hate that's supposed to pay well.

Now if you only picked the course for the money, then definitely reconsider your options. But with a name like "substr" and being a member of boards.ie i'd doubt money was the main incentive ;)

Recessions and booms come and go, nobody knows the future, just do what you enjoy the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

i'd say the exact same thing I was saying to people during the boom. Do whatever you enjoy and makes you happy - not how much money you think you can get out of it.

nahdoic - no offence but what a croc of sh*t. If your 18 - 25 and have no commitments thats fine but what do you do when you have a family to support and a morgage to pay. I used to work for Nortel Networks in Galway. I was laid off 1 1/2 years ago and took another job with someone else (subcontracting to Nortel). Fcukers made me redundent again in 6 months... what r the chances. I was very very lucky to get another job within 8 months but anyone who has been laid off has my sympethy.

daveg, i was giving advice to someone who has just finished their leaving cert, has no commitments and trying to decide what course they should do. that advice still stands.

of course if you have immediate financial commitments to support a family it's an entirely different situation. i'm glad to hear you were able to get another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭paddymee

And I well believe it, I've been looking for an IT admin job for the last 6months and got 1 interview in that time... I'm fully qualified and have 2years experiance... bloody hell, I cant imagine what it must be like for rookie's coming into IT now, nightmare

LOL, you still are a rookie.

I left college in summer in 94 and got a job straight away. Most of my friends did as well. That was 8 years ago, and it wasn't too hard.

So the bubble burst, just means that you have to know your stuff to get hired. But when you do get hired, you don't have to worry that the people you work with are morons, like in the .Com boom. I love it now, cause I get to work with people who actually know their jobs.

Money was ****e though. So that's why I moved to the US in Jan 95.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

nahdoic - Didnt mean to be so blunt in my post. I do agree with your advice to a leaving cert strudent who has no commitments ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by paddymee
    you don't have to worry that the people you work with are morons, like in the .Com boom. I love it now, cause I get to work with people who actually know their jobs.

Yeah, I remember meeting a few ppl when i started working that were in high postions.. (eg, It admins with a nice pay) that didnt even know what Ipconfig was ... :mad: ... made me so mad when i was getting paid a margin of what they were. Lucky for them, they graduated in the middle of the boom

that's cool daveg.
    Originally posted by ando
    Yeah, I remember meeting a few ppl when i started working that were in high postions.. (eg, It admins with a nice pay) that didnt even know what Ipconfig was ...
    hmmm ... I wonder if these people still have jobs? :)

Advertisement