Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Plane on WW2 TV/book/film?

• 17-08-2002 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

I love those WW2 planes.
    Which plane is the coolest?
    What is your favourite attack WW2 fighter plane from Books or Film?

Some of the attack fighters were a marvel of engineering. I’ve tried to give the widest selection of choice as possible.

Was it British, Japanese or Russian? Which plane looks most menacing in the movies? Do you know what plane had the best, Engine, Design, Machine guns? What one is your favourite?
    Italian, fast smart slick and manoeuvrable
    The Russian Mig, not many in production but it’s deadly pilots gunnery gave the Plane a feirce reputation
    French low speed performance but excellent handling and a fantastic Suiza Engine.
    British, some of the best planes ever built, the Beaufighter had a fantastic Hercules Engine but lacked the power and handling of other countries models.
    German, amazing concepts, incredible motors, revolutionary solutions, and very experimental such as the Kommet’s bi rocket fuel motors & Auxilary crusing jet or the Me262 twin Jet fighter.
    USA clever structure and detail designs, American planes had low drag.
    Japanese, remarkable formula, rapid climb and fall. Used Mitsubishi and Kawasaki engines.

Coolest, Meanest,Greatest WW2 Fighter? 32 votes

Focker Wolfe (German) FW 190A58 405mph
    0% 0 votes
    Fiat G50 Open-Cockpit ( Italy ) 292mph
    18% 6 votes
    Bristol Beaufighter MKX (G. Britain) 308mph
    3% 1 vote
    American Mustang P51 (USA) 353mph
    3% 1 vote
    Messer Komet Me163B1 (German) 600mph
    25% 8 votes
    Multi-Gun Mig 3 (USSR) 360mph
    9% 3 votes
    SuperMarine SpitFire G.Britain MKXiV 439mph
    6% 2 votes
    NakaJima 2 JM1S ( Japan ) 315mph
    25% 8 votes
    Grumman Hellcat F6F (USA) 371mph
    6% 2 votes
    DeWoitine D520 (France) 330mph
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Keep on Trekin

I say the Fiat, Italians had cool planes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

In all fairness, , the association between "Films/TV" and anal retentive WW2 Planespotting here is paper thin at best :)

That Said the Focke Wolfe , cannon fodder of every british Ace in Commando Weekly as a kid . At the time i used to giggle at the mildly dirty name too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭JacquesPompidou

Fu<ker Wolf because of the name, and cos Ze German planes always looked the most wicked in War films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

From your list I had to vote spitfire from the battle of Britian.
    However the B-17 should deff have been on your list too.

That said the british/German/Italian Tornado would now blow them all out of the water. Coolest/loudest thing Ive ever seen/heard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its gotta be the P51 Mustang. Saw a program on them on Monday on BBC2 (decisive weapons or something liek that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the messer komet, while being a jet fighter, was terrible
    it used short ranged unguided missiles(experimental) and the exact same model of machine gun used in the me109

tbh the p-38 lightning kicked arse
    topp38.gif

Max Ceiling: 44,000 ft.
    Max Range: 2,600 miles
    Powerplant: Allison V-1710-27/29
    Horsepower (each): 1150
    Max Speed: 395.00 Mph 636.00 Km/H
    Armament
    1 20mm cannon, 4 M2 .50 machine guns, 2,000 lb of bombs, rockets

almost 10000 made during ww2

(designed by the guy who went on to make the blackbird)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Hurricane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

What about the FU4 Coarsir (pacific rim mainly)????
    I think your speeds for the Wolfe and the Spitfire are way off(seem to recall that the P51 Mustang was a lot faster than most German and English standard aircraft.

The MauraderB-26?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

The Messers, Spitfires and Mustang's were constantly updated and remodeled during the war. The performance and speeds improved with each year of battle.
    But the sadly German planes were always far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Lads, If you Love these aircraft so much, and wanna experience it in the European Theatre, get B17-G Flying Fortress : the Mighty Eight. You get to Fly everything (p-47, p-38, p-51, B17 - all machine gun positions/navigation/bombadier, BF-109, FW-190, ME-263).

Very Classy Game, and a wee bit sad too... just amzing though.

Me Favourite plane and first ever Model Aircraft is the P-51 Mustang - "Cadalac Of the Sky" taken from the Film Empire of the Sun! - Stevo Speilbergo.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

no me 262? i had to settle for the fw 190:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

BJJ.. Check this out... not a great site, but it shows ya what I'm Talking about:

http://www.gamesexpert.net/gamefile/simulati/b17.htm

Also.. Check out the Movie. Memphis Belle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

P51 Mustang was cool. Really liked the DeHavilland Mosquito aswell (was that classed as a fighter or a bomber or both? sexy looking beast any how.

Advertisement