Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem

Options
  • 17-08-2002 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

With the fact there isn't even ISDN available in Wexford! Sheesh! I thought it might be good to buy a hardware modem. Because my own modem fluctuates and sometimes has mental breakdowns. I heard some people say that exteral modems are much better. Especially ones that are connected to the serial port. This is because they are controller based and not like the software winmodems that are so common and cheap today. I was interested in getting the US Robotics external modem for 110 euro at PCworld, is this a rip off? Does anyone else testify to the greatness of external modems?

And another thing. When I connect to eircom the flashing monitors in my system tray tell me the percentage of compression how it this worked out and what is conditions are necessary to boost the compression?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Ok then,
    I was interested in getting the US Robotics external modem for 110 euro at PCworld, is this a rip off?

Without a shadow of a doubt. In this day and age you should be looking to pay a max of around 70-80 for said modem. Maplins or peats are much better value when it comes to these modems IMO.
    Does anyone else testify to the greatness of external modems?

Again, the answer has to be yes. I am a linux kid, and when I first started to use linux I had a win modem - didn't realise there was a difference. Obviously, the decision was then thrust upon me to buy an external modem. Nowadays, it's hardware modems all the way. Aswell as that, as you have said, external serial modems are extremely realiable creatures :)
    And another thing. When I connect to eircom the flashing monitors in my system tray tell me the percentage of compression how it this worked out and what is conditions are necessary to boost the compression?

By this I assume you mean your connection status icon in Windows. This gives your initialisation speed and your transfers in and out via your internet connection. The only way you can ensure you will get the best connection ( fastest and most stable connection ) without taking into account the quality of your phone line to your local exchange - which lets face it is in the control of Errorcom - is to ensure that the phone cable you use is short, doesn't have any splitters or adapters on it and is as near as possible to the first drop off point in your house. Of course, your modem drivers should also be bang up to date, or as much as can be possible.

Hope this answers everything to your satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Most of the modem's are hardware nowadays .. regardless if they are internal or external. It's true there are some dogdgy ones mostly internal .. but I've come across a few dodgy external ones .. through out the years helping out in a friends computer shop.

Still.... if you can afford it .. with a external it'll always leave a Slot free in your computer.

Regards,

JamworkS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

At the end of the day, it all boils down to the quality of your line. I have an Intel 56k modem (€30) and it does the job admirably. I suppose if you want to squeeze the last drop out of your line, then go for it. Other than what Jam says about the free slot, it's not *really* worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by CivilServant
    I was interested in getting the US Robotics external modem for 110 euro at PCworld, is this a rip off? Does anyone else testify to the greatness of external modems?

I had the US Robotics 56k external connected to the serial port. Damn fine modem, but at 110 big ones, bit of a rip off.

For many reasons, I bought a Diamond Supra external USB modem. I was getting 49k with the US Robotics, I am now getting 48k with the Diamond, so not a major difference, except in price. The Diamond was 60 Euro and is powered via the USB port, so no external power supply required. The only problem is with Linux - I couldn't get it to work under Linux, but had no problems with the US Robotics.

If you never use Linux, go for the Diamond, or an equivalent USB model. If you do use Linux, go for a serial port connected modem, you will be farily sure it will work.

HTH,

TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

GF bought a Trust v92 external modem. Can heartily recommend it - it's quite a good modem. 79 euro in compustore and I suspect you may find it cheaper elsewhere. Just as good as the US Robotics Message Modem or whichever one it was you saw (better if any Irish ISPs get around to supporting v92).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

I used to work in Compustore as a technician and that was a great modem. We used it ourselves to connect to the internet (yeah!! 56k internet, they should've installed isdn or a leased line) with that one .. and never failed, never hung-up. Value for money.

Regards,

JamworkS

Advertisement