Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to temporarily break my PC

• 17-08-2002 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

I need to break my pc to convince my parents to buy a new one, but i dont want to damage so far as its worthless. i need something that wont be easily detectable by a PC repairer also. maybe i'd be better of breaking the hardware but thats kinda valuable. im runnin Win98 btw

is this a bit of a stupid thing to ask? i dont know that much about the internal workings of windows or hardware either :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You have now entered ....... the Twilight Zone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

get a job ya bum and don't go trickin ur parents into wastin money on a lazy B. sure they probally paid for it in the first place., maybe even if ya offered to put half the money into it and tell them the advantages to updating their pc and not lettin it die or become worthless. FFS just don't be a wanker about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

You could try smashing your face through the monitor. That way you'll get your new computer and they might even chip in for some plastic surgery if you're really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Ye can always stick Windows ME on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Send an electric surge through your pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by daveirl
    Well if you're gonna break it so that a repairman can't fix it what makes you think you'll be able to fix it considering you have only a little knowledge

That's why he's asking us...

I have to agree with Gideon, ask them to pay for half of it and make up half yourself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Smashing head through monitor sounds good to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

you have a few options:
    1) turn your pc onto "low power mode" look at there the power chord plugs into the pc. this is the PSU. there *should* be a little switch to change the voltage from 240V to 120V.*note this may result in internal damage to your components. at best it's just a new PSU(around €40-€60)

2)Overclock your local PCI bus to a non standard frequency. this will trash your HDD.the pc repair man will expect the hard drive to be buggered(cause he dont expect you to do things like that :)) at worse you'll get a new HDD.

3)get a pin. plug out the monitor and stick it in the video cable. this should result in a distorted image.again at worst you'll get a new monitor/and or cable. alternate to this is to put a *very* strong magnet under the monitor(very well hidden) this will cause image distortion

4)Static is your friend!!static discharges into key components will result in them being completly ****ED.

5)replace some choice components with known bad ones :) should be effective

6)DOWN CLOCK!! then tell your parents about the advantages of upgrading as stated by phaxx and gideon

note:i take no responcability for your actions.if you are stupid enough to try this you dont deserve to own a pc. if you want one that bad BUY ONE. you wont be so quick to break THAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

what is wrong with your current PC? is it an old 486 and your parents just dont want to buy a new one, in that case i would prob do the same as you.
    but in relality i seriously doubt if your PC is that old.
    why dont you post up you PC specs.
    all it might need is an upgrade here and there. could work out a lot cheaper, your parents might not mind paying to get it upgraded, will def cost less.

if all else fails go with pigmans idea :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get a job you tit.

Advertisement