Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop TV out (7 pin)...What cable to use?

• 18-08-2002 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Haven't been able to get answers out of google for this...

I have TV out on my laptop (7 pin connection) and I want to hook it up to the TV. Whats the cable I need? Does it connect up to the Video input on the TV via RCA cables then?

Thanks
    David

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

What laptop is it? Some laptops, e.g. Dells need a dongle that splits it into SPDIF, analogue audio and composite video (rca), while others just have a S-Video connector which you can plug directly into your tv (best quality) or into composite (rca connector) video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Hi Brendan,

Its a Dell Inspiron 4100
    Its is the exact same as this guide from the Dell japanese Site...
    http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/systems/ins4100/tour.htm

Here is the pic from that page of the TV Connector:
    tour.htm

Hope this sheds some light on the issue:)

***edit ***
    you might have to relaod that page- it keeps saying cannot find server for some reason- anyway I attach the small pic of the tv out connection for certainty

Here it is...

Same as on my 8100. The adapter/dongle came with mine anyway. You may want to give Dell a ring and order one, or else search for it. ;) My one has S-video, Composite video, and SPDIF output on it (svideo has 4 pins btw).

If it's any help, here are the numbers printed on mine:
    DS/N CN-044CTV-47110-1AA-0434
    DP/N 044CTV|C/O CN| Rev A00

A svideo cable looks as if it'd plug straight into the connector on the laptop, I dont think it'd harm your tv (though dont blame me if it blows up), and could be worth a try.

Brendan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I know some GeForce cards with tv-out use a 7 pin socket. They're bundled with a Y splitter cable that gives you 4 pin (S-video) and RCA (composite) pigtails from this 7 pin socket.

Did you get any kind of tv-out cable with the Dell? It might be an optional accessory that you'll have to buy.

• Advertisement

I think I did get something but its prolly in a box of PC stuff in my parents place in New York so I dont know what it was exactly. I think I'll call Dell about it and get them to send me one. I have to order a 120v ac adapter anyway.

Thanks lads. I'll post back if they have anything of worth to tell me :)

The power adapter with the laptop should be compatible with 120v. All you need is a travel adapter to let you plug it into US plugs. :)

Brendan

Yeh, it has that little transformer thingy but I just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth(Dell) what exactly I'd need. I defo dont want to plug it in and then it to start breathing smoke*

*This is not dramatisation. My sister jammed a US plug into an Irish socket and blew up a stereo :D

Mine worked fine anyway for over 2 weeks in the US. Just read the print on the transformer....should be something like 100 - 250v.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ye might want to use a composite -> composite cable for yer laptop, i got the dongle with mine - but the laptop never recognised the tv was connected and so i couldn't enable the display - using composite cable that came with dvd player works perfect tho............................(Engineer out to replace me mobo before said he had never heard of the standard tv out setup working i.e. using their dongle...........)

• Advertisement

There isnt any composite connector on my 8100, and I dont think the 4100 has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It's called an S-VHS out port. You need to get an S-VHS to scart cable and a scart cable from your TV which ends in phono like plugs. You can then connect the S-VHS cable to the scart. The display settings then need to be changed to set the output to tv instead of the laptop monitor. This is in the advanced tab.

Advertisement