Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safe shipping

• 18-08-2002 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

heyhey

im gonna be shipping my computer tower at the end of next week to finland.. just wondering what percautions i should take?

dw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you are really worried, insure it for the amount. Or send it via SDS ( I think they insure it for a small fee against damage)

If it is just a tower you are sending just pad it loads. However if it is both the tower along with MB processor ram etc, then it would probably be a good Idea to take out all of those components and rap them seperately. and then somehow stick them to the inside of the case.

John

P.S. Use your common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

yeah, its the tower that im working on right now... should i take the hard disk/ram on the plane with me? i dont know enough about mobo's to take the tower apart. hmm.. as you said common sense... i'll just have to find a friend who has some....

sds... i'll check them out.. im moving to finland, so i'll be shipping other stuff like books and clothes and wolly hats.. erm.. thanks

dw wishes he bought a laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You might want to be carefull with the hard drive... I'm not sure if x-rays can damage them. Really you need to talk to a courier. I recomend Fed-ex. or a well known company, not jimmy from down the road that ships cattle bi-monthly to the main land so to speak.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Lump
    I recomend Fed-ex.

I dont ... i wouldnt trust fedex with something like a pc. DHL wikll be able to do it and they will know how to pack it etc. You wil lalso be able to track your package with DHL. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'd take off the heatsink if its a big one.
    Sometimes if there is a small bump the weight of the sink will tear the ziff socket of the board.
    Usually its grand but its a precaution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I would recommend taking out the hard disk and carrying it in your hand luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

1. X-Rays will not damage any sort of standard HD
    2. I'd recommend DHL also i've found them very good for pc/laptop shipping
    3. I'd agree remove as much as you can, just if you carry anything on your person avoid any magnetic fields or that...........if you had someone to reassemble it in finland i'm sure you could find someone here to take it all apart for you..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Some airlines are very picky about letting bits of computer equipment on board, and what would you do if they told you at the checkin desk "sorry, your hard drive ain't going on the plane mister"?
    If you take it on as hand luggage, then say goodbye to it once it gets xrayed. :) I'd DHL or TNT it just to be on the safe side. If it's good enough for Komplett it's good enough for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

not jimmy from down the road that ships cattle bi-monthly to the main land so to speak.

AKA Securicor (muppets) dont use them whatever you do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Remove all cards, RAM and heatsink from the mobo. Wrap each in bubblewrap, stuff them back in the case. Fill the case with bubblewrap untill everything is secure and does not rattle. Call DHL and ask them if they can supply you with proper packaging.
    DHL are really the best for this kind of work...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

1. X-Rays will not damage any sort of standard HD

True !
    I brought 3 hard disks with me about 2 months ago, wrapped carefully in the luggage, didnt bring them on as hand luggage for fear of confiscation if they would of been classed as 'weapons' !!

Advertisement