Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the lyrics board

Options
  • 18-08-2002 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

not exactly a phantom post BUT im sure everyone here is a music lover and has an opinion on this

Here goes, I've been struck down by a heavy dose of bronchitus so didnt go out this saturday night for the first time in ages, im also taking a lot of drugs due to said illness SO i thought i was having a very bad trip but no RTE have actually recommissioned a new series of this piss poor attempt at a t.v. show.
    with its nobody guests, terrible singing and some of the worst rock star posturing {not seen since the days of spinal tap spinal tap} from the 'backing band' f.u.c.k.i.n.g. cabert c.u.n.t. clowns more like.................
    It appears my pills havent supressed my rage!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Not even Lucifer himself knows the depths of my hatred for this show.
    Its very existence cheapens the human race in ways no man can yet fathom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

The Lyrics Board is a stimulating, cerebral visual enterprise. The show's producers have successfully identified a niche market and exploited this with glorious precision. With Aonghus McAnally humbly stepping aside to allow fresh blood [in the form of the lithe, lovely Linda Martin, former Kenny Live presenter and lion tamer], the show has been injected with an unprecedented vibrancy, matched only by Mike Murphy's epic, Winning Streak. The chemistry apparent in the exchanges between Martin and the world renowned panel members creates a dynamic that manifests itself in the dulcet tones of the jovial audience and exhuberant participants. In engaging with the show, the viewers not only achieve a scintillating, Zen-like state, but partake of a veritable mental workout! Watch out, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!

DON'T REPLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

Well, I was unfortunate enough to be in the audience for the recording of one particular edition of the show (dragged there by someone), and it confirmed everything I already believed . . .

The show took about 3 hours to record, and every time a panel was given a word, they would have about 10-15 minutes to reherse their song several times before they were filmed jumping up to perform it. Towards the end of the show, a scene where they were guessing the identity of a song was rerecorded several times until they got the correct answer.

None of that surprises me, it's just the way television *is*. Nothing is ever unscripted. And if we didn't clap and who-hoo loud enough, it was rerecorded again and again until we did.

The special guests included on the show I saw were two members of "Six".

The guy threw a major tantrum because after about 4 recordings of him doing a song, he still hadn't got the end right, and they wouldn't let him do it again. The girl (Sarah?) didn't know the words to "American Pie" and couldn't sing any better than I can (and that's being kind).

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Apparently, RTE sold the concept of 'The Lyrics Board' to Japan, and made a fortune.

You can just picture it working there, can't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

It's true. Sadly it's the only concept RTE has ever made money on by selling it abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

threefour: classic stuff hahahahahaaha

Steve, I was in the audience for Don't feed the Gondolas once and it was really funny and seemed fairly improvised. Only a couple of things needed to be rerecorded and usually for legitimate reasons ... the funniest thing was that every time the camera was turned off, most of the panel members instantly lit up a smoke, to the fury of the stage manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Originally posted by Arch
    Apparently, RTE sold the concept of 'The Lyrics Board' to Japan, and made a fortune.

And japan sold the concept of karaoke to the rest of the world
    and now karaoke and TV have mated and spawned horrible mutant freaks like 'The Lyrics Board' & Popstars.......just look at the carnage all around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Actually altough it was sold to about 20 country's I think the production company had the rights and they made all the money not RTE

Advertisement