Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 bid.

• 19-08-2002 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think this Scots-Ireland bid is a bit of a joke?

For example I just went over to the official site at

http://www.euro2008bid.com to look at all the lovely 'stadia' will be used and amongts other things I was able a get a lovely drawing of what Croke park might look like with a soccer pitch drawn onto its surface. This is all well and good except for the fact that a GAA pitch is roughly 40 yards longer than a soccer pitch but the drawing has it as tho the ground was designed to meet the exact specs of soccer!

Add this to the fact that the GAA have made some pretty definitive soundings that Croker will not be available for Euro2008 and it makes me wonder how much of this bid (at least on the Irish end) is grounded in reality?

So hasa anyone else told uefa and the scots that we've planned to change the dimensions of a soccer pitch as well as host a European championships matches in a stadium that doesn't want to host and in another that hasn't even begun construction yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

That looks ridiculous,Stadium Ireland hasnt been bulit and doesnt look like it ever will,GAA Bosses have sayed no to soccer and lansdowne road is a kip.

Some ppl are going to be very red faced if we actually manage to Win the right to host it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Don't worry sposs we won't win it. I'm sure UEFA have been keeping an eye on the situation here.

The fact that one stadium isn't even built yet, infact that haven't even turned the earth to start it and another doesn't allow soccer to be played on it hallowed surface means that unless unless this competition is handled like a planning permission application in Dublin in the eighties the 2008 Euro Championship will be in Austria & Switzerland.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think the Irish have to provide two stadia under the bid. One is definitely Lansdowne Road, with the other bieng either Stadium Ireland or Croke Park. The fact that a sod of turf has not been turned for Stadium Ireland will not really effect the bid, as Portugal still are not close to completeing alot of the Stadia for 2004. I believe that the Irish/Scottish bid is the favourite but I could be wrong in this.

It is a shame really, as a regular attender at Croke Park I think it would be a great stadium for international soccer. Having the empty space either end of the pitch would detract slightly for the people in either end but it is a magnificent stadium.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'd say if we do win the bid we'll have the stadia in time, thanks to Sportie Bertie. Mr. Ahern seems to be able to pull a few strings when it comes to sport at least. 6 Years should be enough to ensure we have 2 good stadia, but then again when has anything been on time in this country...

Advertisement