Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the sum of all fears

• 19-08-2002 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

i went into this film thinking it was the ben affleck/samuel l jackson film with the car crash!!!! But i got a pleasant surprise, i thought it was an excellent film, brought very close to home by the tragedies of september 11th. just though i'd recommend it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I think I'd disagree, it's a very average film. It is also very noticable that it was made BEFORE September 11th, we never actually see the effects the nuke has on the civilians (and the President doesn't seem to give a **** about them with his line "they tried to kill ME")

Ben Affleck is really bland and Morgan Freeman doesn't get anything to do. I felt that the first hour was unecessary, just skimming around the main plot.

Still, they nuked Baltimore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Worst film I've seen a long while. Ben Affleck sucked, anyone going and hoping to see a nuke going off, you'll be horribly disappointed, you'll see a lot of dust though. Radioactive dust!

Clarke was the only character I found enjoyable to watch in the whole of the 2hr and 30mins I sat through the painfull crap.

Expected more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really enjoyed it. First hour was a bit slow, but it was a good buildup for the rest of the movie. After the bomb (90% of the footage of which is shown in the frikkin trailer !!!), things picked up alot, and I was on the edge of my seat for the last half an hour.

Afleck and Freeman were OK. Liev Schreiber was very good, James Cromwell was superb.......
    i went into this film thinking it was the ben affleck/samuel l jackson film with the car crash!!!!
    Changing Lanes.... looking forward to that one myself! It was out in the US in April, apparently. No idea when its out here.......

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I must say I enjoyed it. Morgan Freeman is **** cool. The cinematography was brillant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

the reason why i hardly go to the cinema anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The one thing that seriously irritates me about that film is the fact that the book would have been a perfectly serviceable movie.

Also, they changed it from arabs to Neo-fascists afaik, just to be PC. sometimes, this level of PC crap bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I liked it. While i cant get my head round the fact that they chose Ben bloody Affleck to replace Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan (Why not just bring back Alec Baldwin), it was heartily enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Liev Schreiber was indeed very cool in the film, I wonder if there's any chance of a Rainbow Six movie with him reprising his character, John Clark. T'would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I didn't think it was a great movie. I was getting very bored with it until the bomb went off, from there on it was watchable but Morgan Freeman didn't get much of a part and Ben Affleck wasn't brilliant either. The carbomb at the end was good though!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I thought it was average.
    I cheered when Baltimore blew up.
    Ben would've been killed by the chopper hitting the ground.
    There are no shock-absorbing seats in the back and there was a hell of a lot more pointy things for him to get skewered on.
    There were other gross inaccuracies too, but I can't remember most of em atm.
    There was too much ben and not enough of Ben's luverly doctor chix0r.
    She was cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I thought the film was rubbish.........need i say no more
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Twas boring until the nuke went off, which was pretty cool. Not graphic enough really though. after that it wasn't bad. A bit long and winding really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

who was liev schrieber, is he the guy from scream? or nemerov's 'assistant'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Liev is from scream(2 or 3) and a few other recent movies such as...Kate and Leopold (2001)The Sum of All Fears (2002)Hamlet (2000) and a few more.

I have yet to see the movie but the night is young.
    Liev Schrieber as Clarke/Kelly cool.

William Defoe was good as the older version of him in Clear and Present Danger.

Wonder if they will be making a movie out of "Without Remorse", which I think is one of the best Tom Clancy books.

DotC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I thought it was great, my mate Colleen nearly jumped on me when the guy with the chains jumped out, rather funny :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

i did enjoythis film. you have to take this sort of stuff with a pinch of salt but it was a very enertaining film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

What a pile of ****e - Pity I heard it was a decent book. Must win the award for the most one-dimensional characters and also for worst actor collection playing presidential aides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I found it very strange the way people were able to use mobile phones & cars etc after the blast, a em pulse from nuclear bomb usally fries all electronic devices & the radiation would be a bit on the nasty side which wasn't really shown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I thought it was fairly entertaining. I have to say that the best Tom Clancy film was "The Hunt For Red October" and this was nowhere near as good but enjoyable all the same.

It moved along at a decent pace and was a decent diversion for a couple of hours.

The two people I went to the Cinema with agree too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Absolute pants.
    Ben Afflec didnt die the arse.
    greatest waste of E7. It comes next in line to "behind enemy lines"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Snoop_froggy

That was the biggest piece of crud I've seen yet.
    Ben Affleck was crap, he can't act the dicweed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I taught it was a good suspense thriller, yea abit of a no brainer but worth a watch if you just want to relax with an action flick for the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭curlywee

I got this out on DVD at the weekend

Quite enjoyed it

Was the John clarke character the same as the Willem Dafoe character in the last one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, same character. He was pretty good, I thought.

Advertisement