Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Digital 6.1

Options
  • 19-08-2002 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm currently holding off buying LOTR DVD as I'm waiting on the special 4 disk version out next month. However this DVD has DD 6.1 sound.

What I want to know is this. Does anybody know if DD 6.1 plays well through a 5.1 setup?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I bought the DVD two weeks ago and the sound is fantastic on my 5.1 amp.

A 5.1 amp will play the extra rear channel of DD Ex through the surround channels.

If this is a bit unclear have a look here for a more in depth explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Thanks bucks73, got what I wanted

"As in the cinema, with regular 5.1-channel Dolby Digital playback no sonic information is lost (although you'll miss out on the heightened realism)."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

DD 5.1 feeds a seperete signal to your 5 surround speakers and to your sub. DTS ES 6.1 does the same but also feeds a 6th signal to your rear speaker. To utilise this you need a decoder capable of encoding 6.1 and another 1 or 2 rear speakers. In the 2 extra rear configuration the speaker are looped so the same signal is sent to both. This will then give you a 4 rear speaker setup - with 3 signals sent to the rear.

Advertisement