Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Laptop

• 19-08-2002 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when they are due another batch??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Or has anyone picked one of these up before and got some reports on them?

I've read mostly good things on the net and http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/system/index.html are selling them for GBP699 ex vat. (GBP822 inc VAT or about Euro 1300 with shipping)

I reckon for the following spec its the best value I've found yet, anyone got a better idea? :)

MEDION 1GHz NOTEBOOK COMPUTER
    Intel P3 1GHz processor
    256mb ram
    20gb hard disk
    Integral fdd and 8x DVD rom drives
    Sound system
    UK keyboard layout
    Touchpad pointing device
    56k modem
    10/100 network card
    14.1" TFT screen
    8MB 3D graphics with TV out
    2x PCMCIA slots
    Serial port, parallel port, 2x USB ports, IR port
    Li-ion battery and AC adaptor/charger
    Pre-installed with Windows XP Home, MS Works Suite & DVD software
    Complete with restore CDs, manual and carry case
    As new and boxed with 1-year RTB warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi Bluehair,

My girlfriend has one of those laptops. Lovely machine (to look at and to use) and a bargain at the price (over €300 cheaper than the competition when Aldi first had them).

It did however come out of the box with a fault that limited the effective battery capacity, which indicates a lack of proper testing prior to shipping.

It can't be much longer now until Aldi get a new batch in, and you can bet the specs (or the price) will be much better. I say wait a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That laptop spec looks highly impressive for the price. The three things that might affect your purchase though are:

Networking is through card rather than integrated (not likely to affect you unless you fill up PC Card slots with other things)

8 meg graphics card could be improved on. My laptop is over two years old and has an 8 meg card. Grand for business and some games - no good if you feel like playing newer FPS games on it (under 16megs they won't run). Mind you Sony are still selling lots of Vaio laptops with only 8 meg cards.

Seems to come with a "restore disc" rather than a proper XP Home disc. Problematic if you go for a clean install with a later version of Windows (in the future obviously). Seems to becoming more prevalant with OEMs these days - IBM, Compaq and Dell are fellow culprits.

Not real problems but you may as well be aware of them.

Nice though. The graphics card would stop me buying it but perhaps that's just a personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

If this is the same laptop I'm thinking about (and all signs say it is) then it has integrated modem and network card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bosco
    If this is the same laptop I'm thinking about (and all signs say it is) then it has integrated modem and network card.

Re-reading the spec, I've probably misinterpreted it.
    "10/100 Network card" is probably not "10/100 Network PC Card"
    Integrated seems more likely (cheaper to make as well as handier for the user)

Scratch that one off my list
    (thanks Bosco)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Thanks for the advice folks.. am just back from New York this morning and was considering picking something up there. Nothing worthwhile presented itself so I reckon I'll follow Boscos advice and wait for the next Aldi deal :D

Advertisement