Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggested Boards for Foreign Languages

• 19-08-2002 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

I recently thought that given that a sizable proportion of individuals on Boards are polyglots and rather like exercising their other languages from time to time. Thus I wanted to suggest a series of language boards, catering to languages that are not English (of which we already have one present for Gaeilge/Irish).

I would imagine that the more popular European languages maybe of interest, such as French, German, Spanish and Italian, either for those wishing to practice, improve or learn their written form.

Of course, there could also be demand for many others that I’ve not mentioned, such as Basque, Romanian, Dutch, Hebrew, Latin or even American...

Anyhow: Opinions? Thoughts? Agree/Disagree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

As I need to be fluent in German by February, I'd be well up for that. :)

Something like this?

[php]
    Society > Languages > Deutsch
    > Gaeilge
    > Francais
    > Italiano
    > Espanól
    [/php]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Yup, something like that. Assuming there's enough interest for any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Uperocha idea! :)
    Ego boro na milao polla Ellenika kai kanenas tha xerei ti leo, mwha mwha mwha! Toso poly asteio tha einai, then boro na perimeno! Ach! Tha pipi to paneloni mou toso grigora Ach! :D

An kanenas borei na katalavenei- then boro na milao san ellinas eh?

Entaxei, ya sou mechri avrio re eh? Ante ya.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bon idea!

I'd love to be better in French, I can speak a bit but am usless when it comes to writing it down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Yeah, please make a german board because my german is so weak and a deutsch(?) board might be of some help.
    As I need to be fluent in German by February,

I am in a similar situation to JustHalf, so thats two at least who endorse a german board. I presume there are other ppl like us with the exact problem as myself in french, italian, spanish etc so i petition them too.

Maybe there could be just a foreign languages board for all languages other than irish and english if there is a lesser demand for these boards, its just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Korean (so I can practise) and Chinese (so I can learn the phrase 'Stop downloading!')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

good idea. i'd definately be interested in a french board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm not saying "let's not do it" but wouldn't this be an odd situation? The boards are currently ordered by what people want to talk about, not in which language they wish to say it.

Having said that, if people want it, why not?

Then treat them as an after-hours type board, or what goes on in the Irish board? Prehaps they can shed some light.

Certainly there is enough forigen nationals in Ireland to warrant language based boards, but the only problem I can see is you would have to get well known mods for them.

Currently my knowledge of Korean consists of stupid sentances like pee-eng-gee wee-wee nam-ja I-ee (don't ask me to type that in hangul).

But I would be intrested in that just to try and learn (currently reading joins news).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

My German ain't so hot at the moment, (last touched it in my Leaving :D ) but I'd be willing to offer my services as mod if required, as it will spur me on to learn much faster.

And speed is of the essence here, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Forums created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

How 'bout a Dutch one then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

!Fantástico!

?Tu necesita un asesor para el foro español?

(Do you need a mod for the Spanish forum?)

Need practice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Originally posted by mayhem#
    How 'bout a Dutch one then?

Possibly sometime in the future. For the most popular language categories, visit http://directory.google.com/Top/World/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

klootviool...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

If you need another mod for the espanol board I'd be happy to oblige :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Est-ce que vous avez besoin un mod pour le board francais?

Á¦¹ßÀÇ Çѱ¹ ³Î :p

I notice the boards don't support Hangul? tsk, tsk, tsk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

BOLD CLOUD.

Make a Dutch board. I need one. I'll mod if necessary, I have experience.

Klootviool indeed. Did you people not see Goldmember? Us Dutch have the power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement