Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think of...

Options
  • 19-08-2002 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

coldplay?

i must say, i really liked them at the very start, with 'shiver' and 'yellow' and then i bought the album liked it and after a while hated it cos it just got so boring because everyone had it and was always listening to it. however now i feel like one of those ppl who doesnt like a band just cos they're popular. ya know?

really dont like the new song... i was told its a grower but it hasnt even got little buds yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i like the new song but i think they're a bit samey and sometimes its like they just dont have energy....i'll probably be at the gig in the point coz i love idlewild who...but back to coldplay...

they were good at slane last year so and i'll enjoy seeing then again...but they're not brilliant or anything....

I M O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

In my opnion they're a really neat band. I find them great to listen to, but i wouldnt really dance my head off to them. Like kurdt, i'll prolly go and see them coz idlewild is playing with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

wow, 2 nearly negative posts from u michael what is the world coming to

i HATED coldplay when they first came out, that song yellow does my head in, except for the very last bit. But my brother got the album, and i think its very beautiful and melodious, and the singers got a good voice. Its not an album i know extremely well (without my brother wailing over chris martings vocals, that is, and the sound of the shower in the background ;)) so i dont know if id get pissed off with it or not. Trouble, and the 2nd song on the album, dunno what its called, are excellent tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i have to say i liked coldplay when their album was released and i enjoyed the album and the last song on the album is amazing ....

however after seeing them live at Tin the Park last year i was majorly disappointed as they were no good at all on the big stage - bum noted , wrong keys everything was thrown in to make it bad

and then to top things off i was listneing to the radio with a friend the other day and their new song came on. Now i had not heard the song but when my friend asked me who it was i said coldplay without hesitation BEFORE chris martin even started singing

so in conclusion coldplay's first album was good but it seems they r going down the slippery slope of repetition that a lot of bands have done

IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I like Coldplay-i agree with Kurdt that they are a bit samey but good!

I also like the new single but i have this feeling that they would not be great live.

I dont know, we will see if i get to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I love Coldplay...Parachutes is an amazing debut album and the new single is a great return. I dont think theyre samey at all...... i cant really see any sameyness... cant wait for the gig. Two fantastic bands...very different music. should be a great night. Would be nicer in a smaller venue but you cant have it all i spose
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i saw them in the olympia just after yellow came out and they were absolutely excellent. i was sitting which i normally dont like and it was still brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Hate them. Whiny shíte. But I just get turned off by certain vocalists and hate everything the band does do. Not objective, I know, but there you go.
    Others on my hitlist include:

REM
    Bob Dylan
    Simply Red
    Travis

Yeah Aspro, i know what you mean. I hate the counting crows. I think its the way the singer, talks the songs. It's like he could sing any random lyrics to the songs and it would just sound as bad/good.

For example - Mr Jones

"I will paint my picture
    Paint myself in blue and red and black and gray
    All of the beautiful colors are very, very meaningful
    Gray is my favorite color
    I felt so symbolic, yesterday
    If I knew Picasso
    I would buy myself a gray guitar and play"

He could easily sing
    "I will eat my dinner,
    Eat myself some spuds and veg and apple tart,
    All of my unborn children are scaring, scaring me to death,
    Andy Gray is my favourite presenter,
    I saw him on Sky Sports Yesterday
    If i knew Phytagoruses Theorem,
    I would draw equilateral triangles and say"

DO REPLY

pythagorus-i think, cant remember.
    the only thing i learned in honours maths! i knew a guy wo cutely pronounced it 'pith-a-gore-ass', with the stress on the gore. *teehee*

i HATE the counting crows, especially mr jones
    actually, the singer that ruins songs for me the most is yer man from tindersticks. im sure i need to give it more listens, coz i listened to it expecting it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

but i love chris martin's voice. haven't heard the new song yet, cant wait to hear it. i reckon they're a band who u love/hate the more u lsiten to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

LOL threefour...you should get it released....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I really liked yellow when i first heard it and thought the album was ok. I really hated the new song the first time but ive heard it a few times since and it ok. There a decent band but extremly bland and dull might go see them just so i can see idlewild again they ruled at witnness

i've a funny story envolving pythagoras... if you ever meet me in person ask me about it and i'll tell you, somehow i think it would lose its funniness if i typed it out here

involving, involving mick
    what is it with u people and your typo's!!!!!!!
    i *cant wait* to hear this story now, remind yourself to tell me when next we meet.

yes you're right its involving....
    (checked it on predictive text, thank god for that fabulous invention that does the spelling good for you)

and i'm very forgetful so you better remind yourself to remind me to remind you to ask me about my story.

i think my sarcasm was lost on u there, bud.
    of course its involving, i cant believe u had the cheek to check it on predictive text, dont u know im the spelling queen? i just cant type very well, is all....(hee hee...i just typed all 'akllk'....)

Polarbelly, I suppose you'd have to tell your pythagorus story from the right angle.

lol

thats a good one

i'm trying for a witty response but none springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

i think off the old album "shiver" is absolutely amazing, one of my favourite ever songs and "yellow" and "trouble" are very good too, but the rest of parachutes is a bit bland. BUT the new album is very very good, with only "green eyes" sounding like the bland part of the first album. Coldplay sound much better on this album, so to all the doubters i think u should check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BEHOLD!

I love the guy from coldplays voice...and I love their guitarist..he's so melodic.

by the by....Adam Duritz is an excellent lyricist/singer.
    you may not like them..but he is excellent....if you dont like those kind of story like lyrics..then you musnt like Eddie Vedder either!
    and you can forget about having an opinion then!!!!
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i liked the first album a lot when i bought it but
    haven't listened to it once since the month of purchase -
    aug/sep 2000 - when i was in gran canaria.
    it just never stood out when i went pickin a cd for the bus
    or bed......but i'm definately buyin the new album, i've
    heard it a few times and while there's no "yellow"
    or "trouble" on it, there's a very cool groove goin on, on
    this new album, it's a new coldplay sound and i guess you'll
    just have to hear it to know what i'm on about.
    but i do recommend you purchase

and similar style to compare it to would be blur's song "sing"
    (which track 1 sounds a lot like)....that same kind of cool mellow
    feel, ye know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i like trouble, and i thought the album was good for the first couple of listens: then the boy i work with put it on repeat for the whole of last summer and now i can't stand it.

i also like mr. jones, because it's such a funny song, and it reminds me of the mean fiddler. but the counting crows are possibly the worst band around at the moment.

the tindersticks are fecking great, but i seem to be the only person who thinks that. not many people can get past his vic reeves club style voice. but i think it's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Parachutes was an absolutely excellent album in my opinion.
    Shiver being the best song on it by miles, and then of course Yellow Trouble Spies last song on it can't remember the name is great too.
    Can't wait to get my hands on the new one...

o sleep, eventually i will get past yer man's voice from tindersticks, he he, their music is excellent. but vic reeves club style voice, what a perfect description

is shiver song number 2 from the album parachutes?
    coz if not why hasnt any complimented it yet?
    and if it is, then good on yiz all ;)
    hmmmm im strongly thinking of buying this album now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

yes drowner shiver is number 2 so well done to ya

one of the lads got the album and i've been listening to it a bit... track 4 (the scientist methinks???) is brilliant next single no doubt... anyone think it sounds a bit like the music at the end of the truman show when it all becomes clear???

i was in golden discs on friday with panzer-attack and in about the 30 mins i was there, there was about 20 albums bought the only other cd that was bought the whole time i was there was christy moore live at vicar street- an all time classic by all estimation

Advertisement