Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMO comment.

Options
  • 19-08-2002 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

An issue came up while working on an unreleased web page, that I felt needed to be answered by experienced writers. The page is a strong tolerant document about the influences of society and how to be in the right frame of mind to live an easier life. At the end of the page I have added that its contents are just my opinion on this matter so as not to cause any trouble. But while rereading, it came to my attention, the position I should put this comment in. So my question to you is, is it better in your experience to add, that the contents are your opinion, before or after the text? And why?

I would appreciate other people's opinions on this matter because IMO,
    it is a delicate issue.

Thanks

Prophet88.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd put a general disclaimer at the foot of the pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 prophet88

Thankyou for your answer Blacknight but i need to know why also please....?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I would put a disclaimer at the bottom of the page because:
    1. It's visible
    2. It does not detract from nor interfere with the content.

But considering the attitudes that flow through small minded people these days would it not be better to put it at the top seeing as they would read it and before they get to the end start saying **** like "Who the **** does he think he is?" and stuff like that. I know that if you read a document and you don't like the content, you're not going to scroll all the way to the end of it. NO, you're going to surf outta there fairly lively. But i guess you have helped me make up my mind. I will put it at the top. If anyone thinks this is wrong then please tell me so and also tell me why. I need more than one person's opinion here seeing as it will be read by a lot of people.

Thanks

Prophet88

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I agree with Blacknight, use a disclaimer. If 'This is only my opinion' is in the article the reader might think the writer lacks the strength of his convictions.

• Advertisement

I just looked up the dictionary and found the meaning of a disclaimer. I do not want to put a disclaimer because I am proud of what is in my head and I know it will help more people than it will annoy. Will somebody please answer my question for me as to whether i should put my opinion comment at the top or the bottom of the page please and thank you.

Prophet88

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

I don't think any of us are practicing (Internet) lawyers, so we can't really give you proper advice on this subject. If you are worried that some people may take your article the wrong way, inform them that "this is my opinion". What's wrong with covering your bases, put it at the top and bottom of the page :D

thanks for your answer peterd, I think you are right there. I also want to thank anybody else who posted a reply to my question.

prophet88

Advertisement