Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Keith Duffy Act?

• 19-08-2002 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Express your views here....;)

Mike.

Can Keith Duffy Act? 14 votes

Yes - He's the next David Bowie (Man Who Fell To Earh)
    0% 0 votes
    No - He's the next David Bowie (Just A Gigolo
    21% 3 votes
    ****, But He Can't Sing Either!
    78% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

No. Which means he'll fit right in on Coronation Street.

I have never acted, but I think I could do better than this.
    He has that difficult problem of sounding like he is reading his script from auto cue, which makes what he portrays unrealistic.

But hopefully he will get better and he's a likeable sort.
    It's a pity so many millions have to Cringe as they watch him learn how to act like this though.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can't sing can't act.

There is actually a noticeable improvement over the last week though. He'll never be able to sing but the acting could well improve.

From what I've heard, he's using Colin Farrell (who failed the Boyzone audition) as a career model (though hopefully he admits that Farrell is a better actor than he'll be). Also he wants to succeed to stick one in the eye of Louis Walsh. With that in mind, I sincerely hope he does well.

Cringe factor is fairly big on Corrie these days though. At least he's figured he's supposed to be doing something while on camera but not actually talking by now. Can only improve, can only improve.

(edit) reading the above it still looks like one of those knocking posts. For the record, I actually wish the chap well. If he makes millions from this acting lark I'll be pleased for him (and not just because it'll annoy Louis Walsh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Can Keith Duffy Act?

is the Pope lining out for Rangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I make it my business to exclude all soaps from my viewing schedule except for that one on men and motors, havent a clue whats its called though.

I voted no because it had gigolo in the option, but its nice to see an irish person acting in a soap that isnt portrayed as a farmer or alcoholic. So i hope somehow he will manage to convince the other lads to rejoin boyzone and start making manymore quality albums like "a different beat" and "said and done".

We can only pray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Where's the Atari Jaguar/Coronation What? option?

At a guess I'd say no. And can't sing. I know the feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 pika

No he cant!!

The question should be can anyone in corrie act though? look at Blanch will she end up being the next Mrs Duffy, no story line would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I saw about 5 minutes of him in total.....had to turn it off it wasso painful to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

His acting is fairly bad, he looks like he's just reeming off the lines and he doesn't fit into Coronation St. at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

He can't sing and he can't act he's usless :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

cant sing,,,,,,,,,,,cant act,,,,, looks awful
    that chap l go a long way:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

He's applies his eyeshadow very well and is a dab hand when it comes to lip-syncing. But as far as acting goes I can't really accept him as a 'bad guy' when he delivers every line with that stupid smirk of his.

Bad news for those who were genuinely annoyed by Duffy on Coronation Street:

from http://www.coronationstreet.co.uk/news/article.xml?id=1545
    Granada Television is delighted to announce the return of Keith Duffy to the cobbled stones of Coronation Street – a move that will thrill many of the show’s female fans.

The casting of Keith as Irish womaniser, Ciaran McCarthy, proved an instant hit among the show’s female viewers this summer. With a liking for drink and an eye for the ladies, Ciaran wasted no time in attempting to seduce his best friend Peter Barlow’s (played by Chris Gascoyne) girlfriend, Rovers landlady Shelley Unwin (Sally Lindsay). Refusing to succumb to his Irish charms, Shelley was forced to tell Peter the truth about his so-called best friend but was stunned to discover where Peter’s real loyalty lay when he refused to believe her side of the story.

Shocked when Shelley dumped him, Peter began to question what really happened especially when Ciaran showed great delight at his mate being single again. Viewers last saw Keith on screen when Peter finally came to his senses, believing Shelley and telling Ciaran to pack his bags.Producer are keeping exact details of Ciaran’s return storyline under wraps but viewers can expect yet more sparks to fly among the womenfolk of Weatherfield well into the New Year.

Keith added: “It’s great to be back on the show. I had the most fantastic time working with the cast earlier this year and am really looking forward to meeting up with them all again.” Last year, Keith enjoyed great success with his appearance on Celebrity Big Brother. His other television presenting credits include ITV’s daily entertainment show Celebrity and Sky 1’s new daytime show Lorraine.

Lots of complaining ahead then. If the acting doesn't get any better I'll be complaining too.

On a slightly different note: why are all the Irish characters on soaps lately portrayed as such cads (or even scumbags).

There's Mr "Irish and hates his mate having a girlfriend so tries to sleep with her" on Corrie, Mr "Irish and ganster involved in stolen cars and prostitution (and that's just what we know about)" on Emmerdale and Mr "Irish fireman who won't give his wife and daughter any money and is sure to come to a sticky end within weeks" on Eastenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

What are the odds? Really?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by sceptre
    Bad news for those who were genuinely annoyed by Duffy on Coronation Street:

On a slightly different note: why are all the Irish characters on soaps lately portrayed as such cads (or even scumbags).

There's Mr "Irish and hates his mate having a girlfriend so tries to sleep with her" on Corrie, Mr "Irish and ganster involved in stolen cars and prostitution (and that's just what we know about)" on Emmerdale and Mr "Irish fireman who won't give his wife and daughter any money and is sure to come to a sticky end within weeks" on Eastenders

If you think that lot are bad, remember Brookside? One mad bad child raping dad and a whole family of Irish trouble again including a rape story curiously enough (this time over age).

Then there was that whole "Orish" story-line in Eastenders about 4/5 years back involving the Fowlers.

Someone should write a letter or be glad so many Irish actors can find work in UK soaps.

Mike.

I don't think you should be really complaining about characters like that. Soap characters by necessity are flawed and have traits that none of us would consider favourable. You only notice and complain because it is an Irish character being badly portrayed to a FORIEGN audience.

This is shown by the way people here lap up criminal/wifebeating characters such as Billy Meehan from Fair City because we think we are the only people watching it. However, to prove what I'm saying, if you stuck the Meehan character into Eastenders for just one episode people here would be up in arms for the misrepresentation of Irish people.

Would you prefer all Irish characters in British soaps be highly educated and successful people who live a wholesome life and never cause harm to their fellow nan? Because if you take a look through the casts of most soaps you'll see that characters of that ilk don't exist (for any nationality).

It's not a conspiracy against the Irish so stop taking it so personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pigman thats no doubt true, mind not being Irish I was simply making sure I was staying "on side" and being a good "east-paddy";)

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Pigman thats no doubt true, mind not being Irish I was simply making sure I was staying "on side" and being a good "east-paddy";)

Mike.

And you'd be right to stay on side Mike!

Us Irish don't take too kindly to those who don't view us (and constantly refer to us) as the welcoming, friendly, honest and decent people that each and every one of us is. :)

Originally posted by mike65

:D

Nice reply Pigman btw. Better an interesting scumbag than a boring Mother Theresa type. Comment/complaint withdrawn:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

he is a great actor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Anyone *can* act. Keith Duffy is no exception. Whether they are any GOOD or not is a different matter - and largely a matter of pure opinion.

My own opinion is that he's not a terribly good actor, but that doesn't mean that he is therefore a bad one. I think there's plenty of room for improvement and it does show that he's definitely *trying* at least. At the same time, it's not big-headed of me to say I'd do a better job of it meself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Every one has the ability to act badly. It takes skill to do what keith duffy does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 corkchick

the guy cant act. it was painful watching him for the few episodes he was in. id rather watch a whole episode of corrie with ken barlow writing for the "weatherfield Gazette" and roy cropper giving a history lecture to the residents at Roys Rolls

Advertisement