Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike License Clarification

Options
  • 19-08-2002 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Been riding a couple of years, on a provisional license which expires shortly, so am about to apply to sit a test on the http://www.drivingtest.ie site, but am not clear as to what its appropriate to apply for.

Am currently driving a little Virago 125 to and from work, which is about 20 miles eachway, mostly on a *ahem* motorway, and really would like to upgrade to something more suited to that kind of travel, perhaps a 250cc bike or bigger.

Can i sit the test and be qualified to drive a bigger bike or how does it work exactly?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

this may be incorrect but...

if you do an A1 test youre limited to driving anything up to 125cc. Thats it

If you apply for an A test you have to take the test on a bike of 250cc or larger. When you pass the test you have to stay below 33bhp (at least I think its 33) for 2 years, then youre free to drive anything you want.

I wouldnt recommend going for the A1 license because it limits you and you'll have to do another test when you want to get a bigger bike. You could do what I did - apply for an A test then a couple of months later get a bigger bike. When your test finally comes up you'll be well used to the extra weight/power so you shouldnt have any problems. I applied for my test last november and it came up in June (after cancelling it once cos I didnt have my new bike yet).

Or you could always just borrow a mates 250cc bike for the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This is exactly where i'm confused :( ,

How can i as a provisional A1 license holder ever hope to apply for the A test, surely it is illegal to drive a A class vehicle before the test???

Must i be driving on a full A1 license for 2 years before i can apply to drive a A class bike :((( , am i stuck with <=125 cc for another two years???

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

No ypu can get a provisional A licence once your over 18 and you can drive up to 33BHP on that licence, plus since the virago is under that your still covered.

I had a provisional A1 licence for over a year then got my A licence once I turned 18 waitin for my second test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Longfield
    This is exactly where i'm confused :( ,

How can i as a provisional A1 license holder ever hope to apply for the A test, surely it is illegal to drive a A class vehicle before the test???

Must i be driving on a full A1 license for 2 years before i can apply to drive a A class bike :((( , am i stuck with <=125 cc for another two years???

No, Kazujo has it right there. My provisional has both A1 and A on it, so I'm provisionally licensed to drive any bike < 33bhp. But I drive a GZ Marauder. Why I got both was because I wasn't sure what test I would do. When you go for your test, you must hold a provisional in the category you wish to be tested in. So if I went to do the A1 test, I wouldn't be allowed do it if my licence said A only, and vice-versa. The only prerequisite on getting the A provisional is that you must be >= 18.

I intend to go for the A test and beg/borrow/steal/rent a bigger bike for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, for the information , much happier now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

well i was taking to carole nash & motor taxation ogffice today
    & was told i will have to do the test on my bike , unless one of my friends puts me down as a named driver on his bike
    but even as a named driver i beleive ihave to turn up @ the test with my own insurance ,, i can't insure myself on his bike it has too be mine , wtf ,
    i don't think they know whats going on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭skorn

I've been told the same

I can get a provisional A license and drive anything under 33bhp on it.

So I have my eye on the new restricted 650 Bandit (full spec 650 Bandit and it's only insurance class 5):D :D:D
    Just need to get the wife to agree to it:(

Advertisement