Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Boarder!

• 19-08-2002 10:27pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok. this isnt my idea I just heard about it at the Galway pissup.
    (I think it might be fio's!)

Anyway, heres the idea, and I have to say its tickled my funny bone.

We get 10 ourspoken members of Boards.ie and we given them their own board. (preferably 10 people who dont particularly like each other :) )
    We remove their access to the other boards and restrict them to ONLY that board ... I think you can see where I'm going with this :)

Everyweek we get them to select 3 for expulsion and we vote (outside) as to who gets booted :)

Once it gets down to 3 people left we'll vote a 1,2,3 for it.
    And the winner gets ... umm... Regi.

There are any number of twists we could put on this so I'm interested to see what people think of the idea...

I'd like to see Occy, Ropedrink, Zero, Greenbean, MP, Shinji, Amp, WWMan, Azzezil and The Corinthian all cooped up in a single board for 7 weeks (would make my life a dream for nearly 2 whole months! :) )

Is this just the beer talking or is this a fun experiment?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

i would pay to watch that!

and they have to make an minimum number of posts a day, and have to reply to threads that you put up.....

a class idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

That's so cruel....perfect for our entertainment! :D

What about they boards they're modding tho? They should be left keep them in order.

To be honest, i'd like to see Dustaz, and maybe Boston, if he'd agree to it, thrown into the fray also. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

i whole-heartidly endorse this product and/or service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

icon14.gif

Sounds good :)

Boards Bruvvas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Best idea EVERRRRR! :D

I'd love to watch that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Go for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Brilliant idea. Bloodsport we can watch!

Ten thumbs up.

And whoever thought of it is just mean.

(edit)

I'll add:
    You have to include one person that's just hated by everyone on the boards. It'd be fun to see if the hassle they cause on a board results in them getting voted out by people or not (they'll be nominated every week, but people might not want them voted out if they find them entertaining in an annoying way).

I've a good idea of two people that would be suitable as annoying (perhaps unintentional) trolls. Not going to mention the names out here but I will elsewhere if the idea goes ahead. Besides - everyone can probably guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by Kairo

What about they boards they're modding tho? They should be left keep them in order.

To be honest, i'd like to see Dustaz, and maybe Boston, if he'd agree to it, thrown into the fray also. :)

yeah a few others come to mind!

I vote for total cut off, to the point of completely restricting their access to all other boards even as a guest! (if possible)

have it also that we can see their IMs and votes so we'll see who they are back-stabbing and who they are allying with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is the Admin board getting funnier or am I getting drunker?

that'd be class!! but may I suggest Typedef or Boston instead of one or two of the suggested. (edit - oops, sorry didn't see Kairo's suggestion)

Play on MacDuff!! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i fully support this product / service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Excellent idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Dev, you THIEF!!

I had that idea on IRC like 3 weeks ago and whats more i have the logs to prove it :)

Bloody marvellous implementation though, pld:)

Heartily endorse etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Er, it'd be an interesting experiment I guess, but I could see the posting dying down fairly quickly - only so many topics of conversation between that many people, etc...

Also not convinced of the list of people - as amusing as sticking me and Zero on a board together would be, he doesn't actually post very much (well, occasional boring Quake rubbish but that's not even worth trolling dammit!)... Ditto for a few others who may be amusing when they do post, but volumes are very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmmm, but if you leave the board free and open to discussion of Anything.... ie threads that have been locked/deleted and if possible turn off the swearing protection and dont censor anyof the posts t might be a good idea. It'd have to be an invite only board, where people mail an admin. to get on. Therefore this admin can check that said person is 18 (or a suitable age to view to content)

John

P.S Good Idea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lol - excellent idea! go for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i endorse this product and/or service

sounds great.

big brother style boards, brilliant idea.
    I'd like to see Occy, Ropedrink, Zero, Greenbean, MP, Shinji, Amp, WWMan, Azzezil and The Corinthian all cooped up in a single board for 7 weeks (would make my life a dream for nearly 2 whole months! )
    is 7 weeks not too long? i think the fun will have run out by then and the 10 guinea pigs, sorry i mean contestants will have nothing to say. topics will just run dry and become boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

;)Yon Know You Want Me ;)

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Dumbest idea ever.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

LOL - funny ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i'd like to see amp logic angelwhore wwman amongst the lot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Sticking exactly to the shows format won't work imo. 7 weeks is far to long on intarwab time. Also at least double the contestants would be required. And tasks could be set, like find 17 pictures of David Hasslehoff or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

It would be fun to have it fairly gender balanced as well. See who starts flirting outrageously when there's less people to communicate with.....

Come to think of it, that will probably happen in a single sex environment eventually anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Kolodny
    It would be fun to have it fairly gender balanced as well. See who starts flirting outrageously when there's less people to communicate with.....

Come to think of it, that will probably happen in a single sex environment eventually anyway....
    some one does need to fill the shoes of last years winner Brian. who could that be? any ideas?
    or that other one form the first year, lesbian ex nun Anna as she was labeled by the tabloids.

maybe the prize for the winner could be something like a few free pints at the next boards bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Kolodny

Well that'd be me gorgeous. How you doin' !? ;)

Yeah, just look at #fortress.ie

/me goes off in little daydream about Mills

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I love the idea, it would certainly liven things up a bit (not that it's needed)! I think a task a day or every 6 hours would do the trick. First one to get it correct gets 10 points, next 9, next 8 etc.

There should also be a vote for who we think should be eliminated from it every week or so. Have it alot like the real big brother. That should do the trick.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Amp, with 10 people and an eviction every week (down to 3) that would only take 7-8 weeks. Perhaps 2 evictions a week.... Also, I think we'd have a rule that to be involved you'd have to agree to post three times a day....

New topics could be suggested by the outside world (and created by Q) which could be an interesting way of poking them with sticks... :)

We'd have to set up another board for the general members to talk (and vote) about stuff...

I dunno, it sounds like it might be funny...

DeV.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

OMFG.
    Can you imagine the debates that would happen!?

I'd be, like, the BB3 Alex of Boards, moaning about how ****ers keep pissing in my threads, or showers or what the hell ever.
    Amazing.
    Of course, myself and Occy would probably gang up and moan you ****ers to death but hey, we'd get kicked out quicker...

I don't like the idea of being COMPLETELY restricted from viewing Boards. Can one at least view the Board he/she is moderating, thus reducing the chances of a big queue of people screaming "PIECK MEH PIECK MEH0R" getting selected to Moderate while the contestants are bitching to no end!?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

PS. I'd be well up for it - what with the College down the road and net cafes in Town for when Im working etc - I'll be in the Diary Board all day.

If that is to be a rule (Three posts a day), then do what BB did. If you **** up, you get a strike. Three strikes equals the righteous Admin Kick of Eviction from the Big Brother Board.

• Advertisement

PSSS. You could use the Boards Awards Board for weekly nominations.

Someone whip open Photoshop and use (For example) the avatars of the people in Dev's list (Along with the BB Background) and whip up a picture (Just like the BB One with all the housemates) for an advertisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

You've thought about this a lot, haven't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

OMG!!! 1 board! i'd go insane within an hour :D

lol gg pld etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

just a thought, but pistols at dawn for the last 2 contestants.

I want to see at least one person die in these so called reality shows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

i heartly support this product / service. icon14.gif

although you would need a minimum of 2 evictions a week.... otherwise it would get boring .... really quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Oh my.. Howd I get roped into this ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yessum that sounds like a groovy idear,,,,,,,,,,me gets the blunt keyboard to th ready:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

how a big brother type show should b, ruled over by unortahdox admins, and decided by a load of irish morons..

/me agrees:D

Originally posted by Ajnag
    just a thought, but pistols at dawn for the last 2 contestants.

I want to see at least one person die in these so called reality shows!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0552999458/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-9980519-5360438

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Dev, you THIEF!!

I had that idea on IRC like 3 weeks ago and whats more i have the logs to prove it :)

Bloody marvellous implementation though, pld:)

Heartily endorse etc etc etc

WEH!!!! Meh feicin idea has been pimped by all the little tiny Galway people!!!!

Well I thought it would be fun, with lots of interesting bits

:) Let the votes roll

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement

Gordon has posted on the Big Boarder board

I propose he be left there due to his smart aleckry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Good idea. So when can we see this coming into play i also propose a private board for nomination with now new creation access or people involved access that way they wont know whats going on. like its not that hard to log out and read the boards tbh they just couldnt post to them but if it was private then they couldnt see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

pah it'll never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Originally posted by SheroN
    pah it'll never happen

Oh you of little faith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

ah it'll happen allrite, i'm still just abit skeptical as to how it'll turn out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I say put AngelWhore in there with Shinji :)

We would have to set tasks as well :)

kayos

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have to get people to agree to do it or else it doesnt work. they have to volunteer to do it.

Once the boards beer is done we'll get cracking on this as I think its a funneh idea at least worth a shot :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

DeV, are you drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think this is a fab idea and could be well worth a giggle.

I do think 7 or 8 weeks could be a bit long though in terms of keeping peoples interest.

I think that the 'parallel' board, for the rest of us to discuss those in the big boarder forum, should be used to select thread titles - we then throw these titles to the boarders and get them to discuss them.

As in

"WWM could start a row in an empty room - discuss"

or

"The Corinthian is only marginally less boring than Bob the Unluckily Tedious Octopus - discuss"

I agree with amp on the tasks, plus I think there should be a stipulation that the boarders may NOT log out and post as unregistered elsewhere on the boards, and if they're caught doing so they get, I dunno, whipped and covered in ice-cream and we call in the St. Bernards.

As for balancing the sexes, why bother, boards.ie hasn't been balanced up to now, lets not break the habit of a lifetime...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Cloud

Cloud
    Come to Daddy

Hahahaha fkin best ever.

You could actually *be* the twin.

.logic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement