Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Boarder!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How about we lock in all the winners of Awards on Saturday night, give us a good mix of trollers and nice guys etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Also, there should be someway of converting the Diary Room into intarwab. Probably best to do it on IRC.

Hmmmm of course, all contestants would be banned from all boardsy type channels like #boards.ie and #fortress.ie, which would be easy enough to do (and yes, I know people can find ways around it, but that's not the point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

There's not enough chicks on the boards for it to be balanced.
    I also vote we can pick someone that's really annoying, just to stop them from postings on the rest of the boards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Point taken, there's not enough of a gender mix to throw in among boards users.
    How about species balanced then? ...:)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

If you want volunteers, here's one right here.

As for gender balance, there are plenty members (Of both sexes) to make it happen. It's all a matter of wether they want to / can do it / wether they suit the situation.

We don't want someone who isn't going to post / hasn't got something about them that people love or hate / people with no access...

Simply put, no vegetables should be included in Big Boarder.

And no, IRC should NOT be used as a diary room.
    Maybe you should make it so that people could possibly PM a multi-accessable account given to a select few people who have more than nine brain cells that can offer up advice when needed (And has plently of time online)
    Big Boarder,
    Am I Mingin'?
    REPLY:
    Yus - Now get back in your box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

haha, could be funny, altho 7 weeks is WAAAAYYYYYY too long, no matter how many ppl go in at the start and how many ppl get evicted. This is the intarweb...fads come and go in the blink of an eye....

A month is even prolly too long tbh......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

7 weeks is way too long, a shorter time scale will achieve more. was thinking about it, came up with something like this.

Day 1 Everyone moves in, 10 people in total

Day 2 Challange set.

Day 3 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 9 people left

Day 4 Challange set.

Day 5 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 8 people left

Day 6 Challange set.

Day 7 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 7 people left

Day 8 Challange set.

Day 9 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 6 people left

Day 10 Challange set.

Day 11 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 5 people left

Day 12 Challange set.

Day 13 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 4 people left

Day 14 Challange set.

Day 15 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 3 people left

Day 16 Challange set.

Day 17 Voting takes place. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place announced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Could me, Dustaz, Boston and Typedef get a separate one?

heh

adam

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Originally posted by Rabies
    Day 1 Everyone moves in, 10 people in total

Day 2 Challange set.

Day 3 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 9 people left

Day 4 Challange set.

Day 5 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 8 people left

Day 6 Challange set.

Day 7 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 7 people left

Day 8 Challange set.

Day 9 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 6 people left

Day 10 Challange set.

Day 11 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 5 people left

Day 12 Challange set.

Day 13 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 4 people left

Day 14 Challange set.

Day 15 Voting takes place, one gets kicked out, 3 people left

Day 16 Challange set.

Day 17 Voting takes place. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place announced

Bit repeatetive and samey isn't it!?

7 weeks is too long, yet 17 days would be too short.
    Make it over a 4 / 5 week timespan at the most, and three weeks at least!

21 days - 35 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

People will get bored of this well before 3 weeks rope. People just dont have that type of attention span on teh intraweb.

Not to mention the fact that your cutting 10 people off from the rest of boards for up to 3 weeks.

Its a great idea, but its better executed over a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i think it shouldn't take more than two or three weeks. anything longer than that and people will get bored.
    how people were really interested in big brother on C4? were you able to keep watching it every day. i doubt it. there is no way people will get any enjoyment out of this if it last for 7 weeks.
    Bit repeatetive and samey isn't it!?
    ya it was.
    i was just throwing up an idea. set a challange or two on one day, get the victims (contestants) to post up answers and the viewers pick who they would like to see evicted. or the contestants nominate each other and the viewers then kick some one out.
    there isn't really much we can throw at them during their stay on this board apart from a challange or two each day and really annoying topics to discuss. but i think an eviction every second day will keep things moving.
    i would like to see this turning out to be a bit of fun and not thinking "oh christ, another 4 weeks of this **** left".

Can't wait for the evictions...

"Big Boarder forum, you are live on boards.ie, please do not spam..."

"You have one minute to post your goodbyes...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

some of us actually havea life and dont access the interweb at weekends, or outside of work for that matter.
    how you gonna put someone in there who doesnt have weekend access?
    just run it during the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    some of us actually havea life and dont access the interweb at weekends, or outside of work for that matter.
    how you gonna put someone in there who doesnt have weekend access?
    just run it during the day?

then only put plp in who r availble to go on the net regularly:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu

then only put plp in who r availble to go on the net regularly:rolleyes:

yeah, and you have to post at least once every hour of the day too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    And no, IRC should NOT be used as a diary room.

Why? After all, the logs of the Diary would be posted to the other discussion forum.

Funnily enough I cannot access any form of IRC.
    There might, just might, be someone out there as unfortunate as myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i think yeve missed a point, Big Brother means that they have access to no1 but themselves but in this the contestants can still use irc dat means they wud be still talking to ppl outside of there board..how are ye gonna fix dat?!?

so you reckon that there should be no contact at all for several weeks with anyone who uses irc or boards.ie?

i mean what if you drink every weekend with these people, or work with them, or live with them etc?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hang on hang on...

People are getting ahead of themselves here (and of me!)

The idea isnt to recreate the Big Brother household (who'd want to?!) . Nor to deny someone access to the rest of the web.

Its simply to put *only* 10 people in a board where they KNOW every word they write is going to be read by the rest of us and be discussed etc, while we poke them with sticks and make them perform dumb/interesting/thought-provoking things....

The whole eviction thing makes it more interesting too.
    the only thing we'd enforce is that they couldnt post to any other board but that one, with there account (they can find any number of ways to circumvent this restriction but ffs, why would they volunteer if they werent into the whole spirit of the experiment!)

This is simply an amusing experiment, we arent bound to follow the Big Brother outline and in fact we couldnt for reasons outlined.
    Instead lets use some imagination and see what new ideas (if any) we could throw in the mix.

I'm also looking for volunteers (Ropey is one already).
    So mail/PM me or post here.

Mods will have access to read their forums and snip posts but not post new topics or reply :):)

DeV.

YAY, said the man from Del Monte!

\o/
    |B|
    / \

(The B on his T-Shirt stands for... sod it, just guess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Haha this is a REALLY stupid idea, but i will watch the results with interest :)

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You need someone to announce the evictions .. someone like davina ...

They announce them in IRC while we all hold up stupid signs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Go for it, it'll be a laugh

(P.S Hope all "boardmates" have read Ben Eltons Dead Famous :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Originally posted by Winters
    You need someone to announce the evictions .. someone like davina ...

DeVina!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

LOL mindphuck... classic.

DeVina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Just an suggestion to make the game work even closer to the 'psycholical' lines of a REAL big brother type show. As well as banning contestants posting on other forums, contestants in this game should banned from even commenting on anything that they've read on the other boards. There should also be ban on commenting about current affairs which occured after the start of the game.

This would leave only the single 'big boarder' forum and the tasks at hand to entertain contestants .... as well as drive em nuts into the bargain :)

i'd do it, but only because i know there are so many people out there who would love the chance to vote me out first off :)

Would 'contestants' have access to PMs so they can bitch privately about each other, and would the 'viewing public' be able to read about these messages somewhere (unedited preferably)?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    Bob the Unluckily Tedious Octopus

hahah :)

I agree 7 weeks is far too long. Something like 2 weeks would be much better.

If there is a wide variety of personalities and types of people participating it could be interesting, lots of prodding from those outside would be needed tho.

Well if IRC is required I will cancel my application.
    I have absolutely no way at all of getting on, and Im not going to run off to a net cafe in town and pay good money to hear how everyone voted for me to piss off out of the competition and be evicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Nah, no IRC, and make their PMs visable to the general public :)

Make it for 2/3 weeks, with eliminations every 2 days or so.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

If you'll have me, i'll volunteer

Advertisement