Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestion (or question) on icons/avatars

• 20-08-2002 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Maybe this has been dealt with before.

Is there some option on this site to disable the icons or avatars (hate that word in this context) when you log in?

I find when viewing threads with many posts that it takes a discouragingly long time to load the page, and much of it has to do with loading all these gifs. I have disabled the 'Show Pictures' and 'Animate GIFs' options in my Internet Explorer preferences and that has sped things up enormously, but it is hardly an ideal solution. I have to remember to change preferences every time I enter and leave Boards and that's a pain.

Is there any way I can opt not to load all these gifs while visiting this site alone?

If there isn't, is it an option that the administrators might consider making available—assuming they can, of course?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I doubt the avatars would make a huge difference, maybe a second or so extra on 33K. Have you disable people's signatures -they're a huge hog.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

User CP/Edit options .... turn off sig turn of Avt.

Yep. Done that and it helps. I'm also finding that if I disable scripting in my browser options it speeds things up as well. Although that may be coincidence.

Advertisement