Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy Racers

Options
  • 20-08-2002 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Do any of you notice this 'epidemic'? In Athboy, every day, all the time, I see little scangers in cars driving up and down the town. You know the one's - Ford Fiesta, Alloys, Max Power Stickers, Big Exhaust, 'Oomph Oomph' music booming out the windows!!!! All day, thats all they do, drive up and down the town beeping their horn at similar gombeens and giving you that popeye-style squinty look out the window. Feckin' eejits.
    Luckily the scooter plague hasn't hit Athboys shore's just yet, but I can see it coming. I have seen (or rather, heard) one or two scooters in the distance, so I live in trepidation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Scooters are a rare thing outside of major urban centres.
    You can only go so far on a hair-drier! I hate them too, but they are only really useful in Dublin.

Fear not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Those boy racer losers are also the reason why insurance premiums and road death tolls in louth/meath are so high. I think you have to go really fast and knock someone down to be in the gang. It's an image thing I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Yeah, one of the reasons I don't have a car is because of the bloody insurance, it is so high I can't believe it. I've got friends who I work with who are from all around europe and they all say that its the highest they've ever seen. Of course, since the punt became the Euro, everything has turned to shyte anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

This message goes out especially to Syl.Just so you know I probably know you and if so my sympathy goes to you now.In reply to your thread "Boy Racers".This thread just shows your ignorance and jealousy.So what if people want to modify their cars and cruise the streets.Does it interfere with your life???I think not.I`m not from athboy but I spent 6 years there for educational purposes.Just so you know most of you so called "Boy Racers" enjoy their cars so much that they have to make certain sacrifices to buy, modify and INSURE their cars. And in addition to that I`m driving nearly three years in possibly more countries and other peoples vehicles than you and have never had and accident.Not by chance either.It was to prove people like you wrong.And yes I got my full licence before I was 18 and in Navan not Mullingar.Please give me a response

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(suggest this be merged with the other thread)
    This thread just shows your ignorance and jealousy.So what if people want to modify their cars and cruise the streets.Does it interfere with your life???I think not.

SYL mentioned a number of things in his post that DO affect other people
    Big Exhaust, 'Oomph Oomph' music booming out the windows!!!! All day, thats all they do, drive up and down the town beeping their horn

Big exhausts and Boom boom music. I'm not suggesting that every boy racer pops a cherry bomb on the back of their car and drives all day and night with the window down and crap music playing loudly enough to wake me up on the third floor. But some of them do. Quite a few of them do. I'd have those that do done in for noise pollution if I could - it's bloody annoying. There's a guy who lives near my dad's house in Cork who drives up the hill every evening with his exhaust so noisy that it sounds as if he's going up in first gear at 50 on a slight incline. The exhaust (which I've seen at close quarters) is so big that I could try to stick my head in it if I felt the inclination.

Solution: we do have noise pollution laws in this country, albeit rarely enforced. Enforce the damn things. In many other European countries it's illegal to blow a horn in a built-up area except in an emergency. Enact that. And enforce it as well. It's not just little boy racers who choose to blow their horns at the drop of a hat. This'll stop those idiots doing it as well.

In general I've no problem with boy racers. If they genuinely feel the need to stick "go faster" stickers on their car and drive around with their baseball caps that's their problem. Where noise is involved, it becomes mine.

Nice and simple.

By the way I'm not jealous. I'm only in my mid-twenties and lucky enough to drive a fairly good car. I'm annoyed if anything. Just by the noisy types.

• Advertisement

sceptre, I agree with you in affect.The guys and girls who put go fast strips on their cars who never be assoicated with me. I would never put a universal cherry bomb on my car.Only parts made for my car go on.I do admit to playing music loud from time to time but when I go in to a built up area I turn it down and in general at night I also lower it cause I hate to be woken also. I just thought it narrow minded of Syl to insult all of the decent modifers.I just hope to hear his opinion on my thread.This will probably never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Bo Duke
    .I just hope to hear his opinion on my thread.This will probably I ever happen.

Quite true actually, thread merged. We are continuing on from where we left off, no need for a new thread. :)

'wot sceptre said. If it starts annoying you, its your business. G'wan and mod your car if you want, if you do, fair play to you. But dont wake me at 3am sounding worse than this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Hi Bo Duke, sorry to cut across but I sort of have to agree with SYL on this one....well, at least with regards to Athboy. I'm from the hole too (don't know who SYL is though) and its the same thing every day. Boom boom boom up and down the street, its worse during these summer months though when there is no school for them to go to. I personally don't mind when someone modifies their car, some of them look quite cool too (I'm a Gran Turismo fan, so I'd be a hypocrite if it said otherwise). Some cars were built to be modified (like yours I'm sure) but its the Fiesta/Micra/Peugeot 106 one's that wreck my head, they are small cars, and yet you have these gougers trying to make them sound like harrier jump jets but lashing stuff on them that would make McGuyver proud. I think that the best expression to describe it would be 'mutton dressed as lamb'.
    Forget about enforcing the Noise Pollution laws though, Athboy is not as civilised as somewhere like Cork - the cops are total tools here.

I agree with you Hobnail Monkey in regards to the gardai in Athboy.Many a night when I went to leave, the fine establisment of Bucks, in my car have they stopped me breathilised me and ckecked my tax, insurance, tyre thread dept, all my lights and my number plates.A point of mine is never to drink and drive.They need to check some of the older generation for that.I`m not a fan of moding a car like a fiesta or Micra but I`m a fan of nice 106`s and civic, golfs Saxo`s (only VTr) and Ibiza`s.If a universal exhaust is fitted then it will be to loud but if it`s for the car then it should just have a nice hum while driving but it would be loud if they drive hard in first.I`m still waiting for Syl to reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Dear lord, Mister Bo Duke, that cordoba is a complete beauty!!!

I own one but I am utterly forbidden to do anything to it at all. Ever.

I do own a Renault 19 that has the spoiler and alloys combo, but no bodykit as yet. It has the massive exhaust, but its for show only, its a piece welded on to a normal exhaust.

BUT: I generally dislike all this upgrading of small cars. Small cars just don't cut it in my book. There's nothing as ridiculous as a hatchback with bodykits and tinted windows. And Micra's in general should be barred off the roads, in any shape or form.

The only cars which lend themselves to Bodykits + Alloys are:

Opel Astras

Audi A4s

Honda Preludes

Seat Cordobas

Peugeot 406's

Mitsubishi Lancers

Anything else is just wishful thinking on the part of the owner. A bodykit does not make your car go any faster. A one litre engine is still a one litre engine.
    I include my lovely Renault 19 GTI in this.

Another thing though, when I'm driving the renault, I get stopped a lot more than in the more sensible cordoba. And because the renault is a bit modified, people tend to assume it belongs to someone else, its not a *ahem* 'girls car' .

As well, if people want to modify their car into a touring car replica, why not go the whole hog and stip the car and rip out the stereo?? (Please.)

• Advertisement

This is my next project!!!That wasn`t my cordoba!!I wish it was cause it moved very quickly for a 1.6.I want this car in black.I`m going to start off and just have it all show and no go.Then when something happens with insurance I will drop a 1.8 turbo lump or a 2.8 VR6 engine in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Originally posted by Silverfish

Anything else is just wishful thinking on the part of the owner. A bodykit does not make your car go any faster. A one litre engine is still a one litre engine.

Well said Silverfish, I agree with almost everything you say. Infact they're even slowing down their cars by adding the extra weight of a bodykit-alloys-big exhaust, to an already struggling chassis, the hapless simpletons.
    As far as I'm concerned anything less than a 1.6 is a waste of time.

Nice Cordoba Bo Duke, my next car (Jan '03) will be a Volvo S40 T4, cannot wait !!

Bloody Hell, its turned into Men and Motors here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Hobnail Monkey
    Bloody Hell, its turned into Men and Motors here

But without the only thing that makes Men and Motors ineteresting..... the strip shows!

Or 'City Girls'.....the best programme on men and motors

I'm a girly.

Damn you all................ : P

So ts`s Miss Silverfish then.A women that likes cars!!!!:D They`re rare!!!

I love cars.......brrrruuuummmmmm.....I'm a car fetishist......I can't focus on conversations if there's a bodykit nearby......

There's a guy where I work who owns an Audi A4 with a full bodykit and massive alloys and I haven't done a tap of work since he started parking it where I can look down on it all day......yum.......

Advertisement