Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis

Options
  • 20-08-2002 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Children escaping from the realities of war find themselves battling evil in an enchanted fantasy world in this made-for-TV drama. During the height of World War II, four children -- Peter (Richard Dempsey), Susan (Sophie Cook), Edmund (Jonathan Scott), and Lucy (Sophie Wilcox) -- are evacuated from London and find themselves staying in a small castle in the country owned by a mysterious professor (Michael Aldridge). While playing in the attic, the kids discover an old wardrobe, and when they walk inside, they're transported to the mythical land of Narnia. In Narnia, the wicked White Witch (Barbara Kellerman) has taken control, and now the nation is in a constant state of winter (and without any Christmas to make the snowy period tolerable). Guided by Aslan (voice of Ailsa Berk), a talking lion, the children set out on a crusade to defeat the White Witch and banish her from Narnia. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe was the first of three films produced by the BBC based on C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia books; it was originally aired as a four-part mini-series. Mark Deming
    A blast of nostalgia for ya :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That show was just brilliant.

I loved it as a kid!

Is is being shown again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Not that i'm aware of, was just looking back in fond memory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

I remember that too, excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

This was the late-80s version made by the Beeb, IIRC.
    While I liked it, I always thought the cartoon version from the late 70s was vastly superior.

That said, if this is your cup o' tea, I noticed on IMDB only today that it has just been released on DVD, although that may be R1 only.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by azezil
    Not that i'm aware of, was just looking back in fond memory :)

Damn :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

That was a brilliant series. I adored the books too. I read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe first then loved it so much that I bought all 7. Brilliant!!:)

Advertisement