Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wont someone think of the children

Options
  • 20-08-2002 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

this is a question for those planning to have kids or have them already because i dont think that current pop music can help them appreciate music, and secondly, teach them anything important.

will you directly influence your kids to the kind of music that you appreciate and think is good? im not talking about, "you have to listen to this and that" and "no stupid pop shit in my house" because that would be wrong (but it can work) :) it's your duty to teach your children how to behave and whats right and wrong, why wouldnt that include what kind of music they listen?

don't leave your child's musical taste to chance - indoctrinate now.

adnans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it may be easy to introduce them to music that is perceived as good music. but what about Saturday and Sunday mornings when children watch the telly. it is very easy for them to stumble onto channels like MTV and The Box. when that's done, all the hard work is for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

What a pile of crap, for the past three decades the vast majority of chart music has been crap, yet somehow you have developed a taste in music? Kids will, as always, look elsewhere than the direct media, for their musical influences, peers, fashion, etc. or just pick up pet sounds lying around the house and put it on the record player (as I did, one of the few albums my dad had that I liked).

Apart from that the only good thing I can remember from my childhood chart-musicwise is the Pet Shop Boys and the Bangles.. in a world of Rick Astleys/Frankie goes to Hollywood/dozens of Tiffany-lookalikes vying for the #1 position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Well to be honest name one girl aged under 13 who actually likes decent music?And a majority of those over that age are also fans of the likes of westlife.I dont think theres any way to prevent your daughters falling into the trap of liking this bull-if their friends like it they will like it no matter what.Sadly Im confident that any daughter of mine,like anybody elses,will like the 2020s version of westlife and so on.Little girls arent interested in talented music and theres no way to force them.As for boys,I personally didnt take an interest in any music until about the age of 12,when I realised to my relief that music wasnt all Spice Girls and that a genre called Hip Hop existed.Some boys I knew when I was about 10 actually claimed to like the spice girls and their ilk:D :D They thoiught that it was cool to be a music fan or whatever i suppose and didnt get why i couldnt sit through one high pitched ****e song by them.If i told them guys that today theyd deny it of course:D I doubt they even liked them-they just thought it was trendy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Musical tastes are greatly affected by siblings.
    Gopher not every teenage girl likes that pop nonsense. My sister is so used to listening to my music now that it's all she likes. Although she likes RnB, but I mean how many 15 year old girls do you know of with Frank Sinatra and Otis Redding albums.
    I have learned her well. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've been doing a little "mental conditioning" with my 4 year old nephew in the car. As a result, he loves the Clash, the Stones and Primal Scream.

All that remains to be done to keep him on the straight and narrow is to make sure that he never, ever meets Angelwhore :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Robbo
    All that remains to be done to keep him on the straight and narrow is to make sure that he never, ever meets Angelwhore :)

I'm shocked and mortified at this Rob.
    And to think we've made 'Woopee' together!?
    You said I was to meat your family at Christmas.

But no matter! You're plans have been foiled! I've been conveniantly dropping Bauhaus CDs around your nephew's room, when you fell asleep after woopee. I was faking it, and hence had time to plant many, many subversive albums about the household. Your parents are now hooked on German industrial bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i listened to fairly decent music when i was a kid (or so i think). apparantly i was a bit psycho with it, and used to go into a zombie like trance (how apt) when thriller by michael jackson was played. and when tubular bells was played, i used to spin till i was dizzy. but the reason i was into stuff like the beatles and all sorts of 60's music was cos of my mum, she always played it.

i got into queen the day freddie died, i took a real interest to him and his black nail polish in the video for killer queen, and it sprung from there. then i started getting into boyzone and all that till i was 13, and watching a lot of mtv, but i always liked the rockier stuff and my taste in music drifted that way, and then i started getting manics tapes of my friends, and listening to phantom fm. my friends are all into pop music, so really, i think u end up listening to what u want to listen to in the end, not what ur friends do.

children cant help but hear their parents taste in music as they're growing up so mine will hear my choice, and the choice of their friends, and whatever's playing on the tv, and make their choice that way, i hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I'll be ****ed if I'm going to determine my childrens taste in music.
    My eldest (5) daughter, is mad into the likes of S-club 7 and that kind of stuff. On the other hands she comes into my den and tells me to crank up the likes of Nirvana and proceeds to pogo around the room. Never a prouder moment as a parent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i think i'd do like my dad did.......he is mad into his music. stuff like Queen, the eagles, bruce, doobie brothers, michael mcdonald, stuff like that. to me thats pretty good stuff and i think being brought up to that soundtrack influenced my tastes. i love all that stuff as well as the more recent stuff.

i'll play my music around my kids and also let them have the room to develop their own tastes......so long as it doesnt include Ronan "i want to slaughter every decent song ever written/performed by ppl with more talent in their little finger than in my entire body" Keating.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by adnans
    this is a question for those planning to have kids or have them already because i dont think that current pop music can help them appreciate music, and secondly, teach them anything important.

will you directly influence your kids to the kind of music that you appreciate and think is good? im not talking about, "you have to listen to this and that" and "no stupid pop shit in my house" because that would be wrong (but it can work) :) it's your duty to teach your children how to behave and whats right and wrong, why wouldnt that include what kind of music they listen?

don't leave your child's musical taste to chance - indoctrinate now.

adnans

Dickhead. If I start 'influencing' my children as to what they should be listening to I will have completely failed as a parent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Pigman
    Dickhead. If I start 'influencing' my children as to what they should be listening to I will have completely failed as a parent.

relax, it was only a question anyway. can you explain though why would you fail as a parent if you played your favourite music on the stereo to your kids? mayhem# did a good job there with that nirvana-pogo-kid of his :) why shouldnt you?

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by adnans
    relax, it was only a question anyway. can you explain though why would you fail as a parent if you played your favourite music on the stereo to your kids? mayhem# did a good job there with that nirvana-pogo-kid of his :) why shouldnt you?

adnans [/B]

Hi Adnans. Sorry about the di.ckhead comment. For once I've insulted somebody here and DIDN'T mean it. Apologies.

Regarding the message, don't get me wrong. When I'm 40 I'll still be playing whatever I want to hear and my kids can take it or leave it depending on their tastes. But I'm certainly not going to be chasing them round the house going 'hey Pigman Jr, you've really got to listen to these Pixies albums. They kick the crap out of your nu-silicion-proto-punk bands of today'/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Well to be honest name one girl aged under 13 who actually likes decent music?And a majority of those over that age are also fans of the likes of westlife.

I got a PM on a different forum in respoce to my help with
    a technical query, the daughter of the sender had taken an interest in my stuff which is as far away from Westlife as you can reasonably get how old is she? 13! Now maybe she also likes
    "girlie" chart stuff but even young girls will listen to other stuff if introduced to it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Well when I was likkle the only music I heard was Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison and The Shadows in my Dad's car and we didn't have MTV cause it was replaced by CMTV for some reason so I never really heard or saw pop music. When I was around 9 years old I bought my first Pumpkins album. Thanks to being brought up in a household with respectable music I now have a refined musical taste. If I have kids I will play what I want to hear and more than likely they will be influenced by me.

I wonder if AngelWhore will play his industrial norse music to his kids. Better start saving for the therapy bills when they are older :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Probably.

But I was playing some Apoptygma Berzerk (Swedish Elecro-Industrial) to a good few peeps last night and they liked it. You should try some. :)

Advertisement