Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky and telephone lines

• 21-08-2002 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Just received a letter from Sky, as usual it arrives after the date when something has changed. I quote " As from Monday 19th August we shall expect all installations to be connected to a fixed and operational telephone line. As part of this drive we will be monitoring all installations to ensure call back is received at the point of enablement." end quote.

I guess this means no more manual switch ons.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

But is it in the contract that new customers must have a phone line connected to their digiboxes at all times - or can you unplug it after the install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i think its at all times, although i never do as it causes a load buzzing noise on the fone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Thats strange because I' ve had the same problem bothe here and in the UK and neither BT or Eircom have been able to solve the problem. I have an ISDN system here and still no luck. So its staying out. I've told Sky and they seem to have excepted this for both here and the UK. Thank god as my UK system is now here and cannot be connected any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Just a few issues that need to be cleared up.
    For safety reasons I keep my Digibox powered down overnight. Will this be in breach of contract?
    Also every so often, I use my FTV cards.
    If the box calls Sky when I am using an FTV card, will this fact be detected by Sky, or will the event be just logged as "call back not received "?
    How will they react when they find I have been using an FTV card. Can they actually make that assertation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Unless you are a standard user with no FTA cards then I would never hook your box up to the phone line.

Sure what's the advantage to you of doing so anyways? Wow - you can order box office movies at super rip off prices without calling somebody at Sky?

And it's not as if any of the interactive services are going to work, they all just assume you are in the UK and don't have a local number for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi I'm all most sure your box cannot connect to sky except for installation due to the fact that the dial up no. are prefixed with a zero, so even if dial up prefix is set up as 0044 the zero for the call to be successful. I also remember reading that Sky are not able to check FTA cards or the database facilites. Or that interested. But I suppose to be on the safe side one should not connect the box.
    PS I'm referring to the dial up no's when the FTA card is in the box.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony
    Hi Guys, Just received a letter from Sky, as usual it arrives after the date when something has changed. I quote " As from Monday 19th August we shall expect all installations to be connected to a fixed and operational telephone line. As part of this drive we will be monitoring all installations to ensure call back is received at the point of enablement." end quote.

I guess this means no more manual switch ons.

Tony

Hmm. And I'm sure Sky will pay the installers extra for the inconvenience of trying to fit phonelines! We at work had this arguement with the rep who reckoned "just tack it around the skirting". This is not practical in some cases and people with new houses dont' want a phoneline tacked along their nice pine effect skirtings!:rolleyes:

As for manual switchons, they will have to remain, as there are still times that I need to ring them if callback fails for reasons beyond my control. Can't ring the 1800 number anymore, it's a dedicated 00448705800822 number and the first thing they ask is why couldn't you do it automatically! And I think to myself "do you honestly think I have nowt better to do than sit for ages listening to irritating onhold music when a callback would have been easier!":rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by irishbyte

Hmm. And I'm sure Sky will pay the installers extra for the inconvenience of trying to fit phonelines! We at work had this arguement with the rep who reckoned "just tack it around the skirting". This is not practical in some cases and people with new houses dont' want a phoneline tacked along their nice pine effect skirtings!:rolleyes:

As for manual switchons, they will have to remain, as there are still times that I need to ring them if callback fails for reasons beyond my control. Can't ring the 1800 number anymore, it's a dedicated 00448705800822 number and the first thing they ask is why couldn't you do it automatically! And I think to myself "do you honestly think I have nowt better to do than sit for ages listening to irritating onhold music when a callback would have been easier!":rolleyes: :D

Well fitting a phoneline was always part of the deal as installers in NI found out the hard way when sky deducted payments for non compliance with phone connections even after the installer had fitted it correctly. I think you will find that manual switch ons are no longer allowed.

Tony

byte

Originally posted by Tony

I think you will find that manual switch ons are no longer allowed.

Tony

This is going to be a problem, if after setting up the whole system, callback keeps failing which it can do. Ah well, cross that bridge when I come to it. At least now we're certain that Sky are cracking down on this phoneline issue. Interactive can't be far away now.. :rolleyes:

This is going to be a problem, if after setting up the whole system, callback keeps failing which it can do. Ah well, cross that bridge when I come to it. At least now we're certain that Sky are cracking down on this phoneline issue. Interactive can't be far away now.. :rolleyes:

Time will tell I guess. Does this happen often too you? I've only ever had this problem once.

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I wonder will Sky assert the telephone clause only in relation to installations post August 19th. In other words, would my box (which I can assure you is nowhere near an Irish telephone line) be asked to phone home? What about the hundreds of digiboxes that have been installed at homes without landlines (I know of two such cases myself, and of an installer who used the fact as his USP - 'mobile users catered for' his ad went)?

I am hoping that Sky will not enforce the phone home requirement on digiboxes installed before 19th August 2002. It will cause a lot of problems ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

there was no mention of a connection to a phoneline on the contract when i signed so if they come around demanding a phone connection i (and i'm sure many others) will tell them where to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It really can't be enforced retrospectively.

And if you have it over a year connected, pull the damn thing out!

By the looks of it now, its mandatory that new installs have to be plugged into the phone line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ok I don't have Sky Digital yet but I was thinking about getting it, however this system of requiring the box to be pluged into the phone line is flawed in OH so many ways;

1. I don't have a phone line where I want the box to be installed (no where near it in fact)
    2. What if I use the phone line for internet 24/7, and it tries to callback?
    3. What about people who don't HAVE a telephone?
    4. Sky can 'fine' me loads of money if it's not plugged in? This seems a little fascist of Sky to me...

Perhaps NTL digital is the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jishot

Well after wanting sky for a while i decided to get a phoneline installed in my house, so sky would entertain me. After eircom installation i rushed out to get sky in this happened around march this year. The installer arrived connected the box to the phone line (to get clearance of card etc) then unplugged it. I asked if it should not be left in and he replied NO no need. Hmm i thought and since then it has never been reconnected.

Worries me now since im not 12 months with them I shall wait and play dumb I suppose.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the worst sky would do would be to send you a warning letter or maybe a phone call. If you tell them to sod off then they might threaten fines but they aren't going to send the heavies to your door out of the blue. You will have plenty of time to come up with a good excuse in any case.

byte

It's going to be enforced on boxes installed after 19 August. It seems to be aimed more at catching installers than customers. Besides, if the installer doesn't leave box connected, it's not the customers fault.

If someone doesn't have a landline connected, no Sky! Unless they buy a box and take out a subscription (haven't heard of anyone doing this in ROI yet, maybe someone here did?)

It's going to be enforced on boxes installed after 19 August. It seems to be aimed more at catching installers than customers.

Agreed, no need to panic for existing subscribers. It has only been a condition of contract sine June in any case.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

It was a condition of contract when I started my subscription in January. Its there in black and white.
    But the guy who installed said to ignore it because at the time even the phone number wasn't valid, and also it was a non compatible UK phone cable provided.

Originally posted by carrolls
    It was a condition of contract when I started my subscription in January. Its there in black and white.
    But the guy who installed said to ignore it because at the time even the phone number wasn't valid, and also it was a non compatible UK phone cable provided.

That was not enfoceable because of legal issues which is why it was re written for the June contract release. In any case I doubt theres anything to worry about for existing customers.

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Surely the telephone connection only applies to contracts with free box.
    i.e...If you own the box and sign up ,you are not obliged to keep it connected.
    If all goes according to plan my contract shall fall under the new rule ,and living here in Holland I am not really worried,if they switch it off I will just send it home and get it set up again

byte

Originally posted by seano
    Surely the telephone connection only applies to contracts with free box.
    i.e...If you own the box and sign up ,you are not obliged to keep it connected.
    If all goes according to plan my contract shall fall under the new rule ,and living here in Holland I am not really worried,if they switch it off I will just send it home and get it set up again

Yes this is what we mean. If you own the box by either buying or subbing for over 12 months, you're not under obligation to connect to phoneline though they would like you to.

Yes this is what we mean. If you own the box by either buying or subbing for over 12 months, you're not under obligation to connect to phoneline though they would like you to.

On re reading the terms I must agree. Apologies for my previous posts on this subject which were in error.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Carrolls's is correct. This condition has been on Sky contracts for months now. However even at that there is no way Sky can treat new customers differently than existing customers. Look at the other common condition "we cannot install the dish on a chinmey". I think about 90% of the dishes I've seen are connected to the chinmey. I do think this has more to do with the oncoming interactive option.

Originally posted by Prisoner6409
    Carrolls's is correct. This condition has been on Sky contracts for months now. However even at that there is no way Sky can treat new customers differently than existing customers. Look at the other common condition "we cannot install the dish on a chinmey". I think about 90% of the dishes I've seen are connected to the chinmey. I do think this has more to do with the oncoming interactive option.

Well they can insist on modem authorisation on new installations as they stated in their letter. If they wish they can also initiate call backs at a later date so there is a way the can treat new customers differently .Where does it say they will not install on chimneys? not doubting you but I have never actually seen this in print.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Well they can insist on modem authorisation on new installations as they stated in their letter. If they wish they can also initiate call backs at a later date so there is a way the can treat new customers differently .Where does it say they will not install on chimneys? not doubting you but I have never actually seen this in print.

Well I'm sure your probably right, they can insist on modem authorisation, however this is more than likely done initially and you can dissconnect the line thereafter. If you read the FAQ on Sky's web page they say "The digibox is designed to release the telephone line if you pick up the handset to make a call", so how do they know if 1. Your on the phone. 2. Your on-line(a lot) 3. The line is not connected. I do think this issue has more to do with the interactive services coming on stream(which I would welcome). As a relative newcomer to Sky Digital why would Sky be so concerned that your phone line is connected to the digibox if lets say you never use it to access extra services anyway.

As regards the Chinmey thing I'm sure I've read it on the leaflets left in shops(and places) by guys that carry out Sky installations. I'll try and check this out again.

Originally posted by Prisoner6409

Well I'm sure your probably right, they can insist on modem authorisation, however this is more than likely done initially and you can dissconnect the line thereafter. If you read the FAQ on Sky's web page they say "The digibox is designed to release the telephone line if you pick up the handset to make a call", so how do they know if 1. Your on the phone. 2. Your on-line(a lot) 3. The line is not connected. .

Well what they did in Uk was to send a signal to the digibox to instruct it to call home at varying times. Initially I think it more likely that they will monitor initial card authorisations. I know of one case of a manual switch on where the RTE channels did not appear, it baffles me though why they are still doing manual switch on for contract customers.

Tony

Advertisement