Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions Please.....

Options
  • 21-08-2002 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Need some opinions on this....

Got a quote for a PC to replace my ageing K6/2!!!

Parts as follows:

Intel P4 1.7Ghz + cooler
    ECS Mthrbrd with 512K, 6xPCI,1xAGP,4xUSB,Sound on brd
    256DDR RAM
    300W Tower Case
    1 yr warranty

€380

OR

Same as above except Athlon XP 1800+

€345

I have all the other stuff i need allready.

What do ye think? I swing towards the P4 myself because I do a lot of music recording through Cubase/Cakewalk. Has anyone much experiance with the Athlon? I hear it doesnt like certain software and can be a bit crashy.

Any advice/info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Personally i'd go for the AMD but if your looking to do some overclocking P4's win hands down.

Do a search in this board and you'll find plenty of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

you are being ripped off with that p4, its an older "williamette" chip. It won't clock very high, and is a fair bit slower than the xp 1800+ at most things.

Personally I wouldn't go for either system, because I don't like ecs motherboards. Also, unless this is a typo, the line

ECS Mthrbrd with 512K, 6xPCI,1xAGP,4xUSB,Sound on brd

is completely wrong. Neither the p4 1.7 or athlon xp have 512k cache, and the cache is on the chip, not on the motherboard. If thats their level of knowledge, I'd steer well clear of them.

Go do some searching in hw tweaking and in technology, and you will get reams of information, on how to build your own pc, or at least what parts should go into it if you aren't building it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont like the ECS motherboards. I would advise going for something else.

Also possibly a bigger PSU if your going to be using a lot of drives etc.

Advertisement