Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Traffic Management Changes & New Road Sign System for Dublin City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Harmo
    Just found this earlier on today, Have a read and see what you think about it.

http://www.dublincorp.ie/news2.htm

Wow, that's going to cause chaos on Gardiner St, Dorset St area initially, and down by Tara St too.

It you click on the pdf file the corpo give, they have drawings of how the traffic flow is going to be.

The othe rconcept of an inner radial ring between Stephens Green and Dorset ST as well as an outer ring (NCR and Royal (? South) canals) is ambitious. Could be good.

Or like many other of the corpo's moves could be a royal disaster. Only one way to know for sure.

Don

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

These changes are intended to reduce general southbound through traffic on O'Connell Street while permitting access traffic (including shoppers accessing car parks and deliveries), public transport, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians. The reduction in overall traffic volume is required to facilitate the redevelopment of O' Connell ................
    Access to Blackhall Place for general traffic will be via Queen Street and Blackhall Street. Only buses, taxis, cycles and motorcycles will be permitted to travel southbound on Blackhall Place.
    With effect from Monday 30 September 2002, all general traffic on Pearse Street will be required to turn right onto Tara Street. Only buses, taxis, motorcycles and cycles will be permitted to travel from Pearse Street through to College Green and general traffic that needs to access the area between Pearse Street
    and College Green.

/me grins :D As I've told everyone so far who's asked; "It's the best purchase I've ever made"

Announcing it today, and starting on monday? FS...they don't waste any time, do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 pika

Bugger

Hence me looking for a job out of the city, it is pants in here trying to get to work. I wonder if I drew a picture of a Vespa on the side of my car could I drive around trinity ....

Theres a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I think its a pritty bad idea...there are lots of other and better ways to cut down the level of traffic in the city.

Confuggleing signs only in Irish arnt gonna be a good help....id hate to be travelling to Ireland and find your self trying to navigate your way through dublin up and down 1 way roads using signs that are only in irish...

Silly idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

From the Irish Times:
    Routes are to be marked by new colour-coded signposts with directions to the city centre indicated by the words "An Lar".

There will be no English language translation of the Irish words because "the available space meant to use the English translation as well would have rendered the writing too small".

Simple (albeit possibly unpatriotic) solution:
    Put the signs only displaying "City Centre" so that people who haven't checked their guide books for the Irish for "city centre" can find their way around

• Advertisement
Advertisement