Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two suspicious events in US-Iraq standoff

Options
  • 21-08-2002 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

Two suspicious things have developed in the US-Iraq debacle.

First, Abu Nidal, former Fatah terrorist and latter day mercenary, 'commits suicide'. Later it emerges that he 'committed suicide' because he was being arrested by Iraqi security services. Then it emerged that, according to Iraqi sources, he was being paid by the US as a spy. Clearly, the fact that he was riddled with bullets indicates he didn't kill himself.

Second, there was a siege at the Iraqi embassy in Berlin, allegedly perpetrated by Iraqi anti-Saddam insurrectionists.

Now, I'm fairly positive that the siege was a US-backed propaganda exercise to communicate with the world that there is resistance to Saddam's regime, and this it's legitimate to support 'regime change'. The US has in the past financed and supported failed insurrectionist movements within Iraq (as they have in Central America and Cuba) so this event fits in with their past patterns.

The Abu Nidal incident is a little more interesting. It could be that he really was a US-hired spy. It could also be said that, as a mercenary, he still worked as a 'terrorist', in spite of splitting with Fatah 20 years ago. Are we to understand this event as an Iraqi security measure? Or Iraqi propaganda attempting to tell the world that Saddam Hussein's regime, too, is committed to eradicating terrorists, thus currying favour with the West? Or both?

I find the to events very, very suspicious and am wondering what anyone else thinks of them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Five hostage takers were asylum seekers, say authorities

Five men who barricaded themselves inside the Iraqi Embassy in Berlin with a group of hostages had applied for asylum in Germany.

The siege at the embassy was ended by commandos after 20 attempts by police to establish telephone contact went unanswered.

Iraq's acting ambassador and his designated successor, who had been tied up, were freed unhurt.

The suspects are to be appear in court later to determine whether they should remain in custody.

Berlin justice officials said the five men were aged between 32 and 43. Four of them had registered as asylum seekers in Berlin in March, and the fifth had done so last year.

[...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

That's Sky News for ya then. Lying as usual.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Watch a decent news channel like BBC World not that Sky or Fox news cr@p riddled with American propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

it could well be the case that abu nidal was spying for the Americans,it was widely reported in the obituary columns that he had suspected links to mossad and carried out a number of assasinations against supporters of Yassar Arafat possibly on behalf of the israelis.
    Equally it could be the case that the Iraqis were just "cleaning house" perhaps suspicious that the presence of the third most notorious terrorist (after osama bin laden and carlos the jackel) might give the americans the pretext they need to shore up support for an attack on Iraq as part of the war on terror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

whilst we are on the subject of news management,
    anyone else find the timing of the discovery of the al quedia "puppy videos" a little bit fortuitous,just as international support for war on iraq was begining to falter even in downing street,sudenly new terrorist "attocities" are discovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I hate to be negative but the whole Sept 11 aand war on Iraq has nothing to do with Terrorism.
    its all about Oil and the access to it.

US is going forward with plans to build trans-asia pip line through afganistan (recently agreed with new regime, taliban wanted more money)

US plans to remove regime in Iraq, install puppet and use oil fields.

India recently set up first military base in Turkmenistan for above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by amen
    I hate to be negative but the whole Sept 11 aand war on Iraq has nothing to do with Terrorism.

US is going forward with plans to build trans-asia pip line through afganistan (recently agreed with new regime, taliban wanted more money)

US plans to remove regime in Iraq, install puppet and use oil fields.

India recently set up first military base in Turkmenistan for above reasons.

Any Links for that? Seems like potential for more Disasters :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'm afraid no links but has been reported in the Irish times over the last few weeks.

The bit about India was in yesterdays Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by amen

Right...so what you're saying is that because the Taliban wanted more money, they got Al Qaeda to crash planes into the WTC and the Pentagon?????

Or are you saying that because the US wanted to not pay the money being asked, that they arranged for Al Qaeda to crash the planes?

Or that the US faked the whole thing and incurred massive costs because they want access to oil that the rest of their entire national policy is trying to wean them off?

Maybe youd like to actually offer an explanation of your soundbite?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I don't think he meant that but I think the americans are using the whole War on Terrorism public backing to make middle east moves they would never have been allowed pre sept 11th.

The American public are finding themselves once again being force fed Uncle Sam knows Best crap. Who'll send kids to Iraq - too many will die, public backing will flounder and they'll be back in the vietnam fiasco.

Gotta love the way Americans don't learn from mistakes of the past...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I read,in the sunday times i think it was,that Saddam Hussein had Abu Nidal killed because he refused to order terror attacks on US targets by his terrorist soldiers in the event of war.Saddam was stupid-as far as I know all of Abu Nidals groups have mostly disbanded or been crushed,and he didnt hold much influence over existing Palestinian groups,some of whom actually hated him.

Advertisement