Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Greenhouse Global Warming Real??

• 21-08-2002 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Will any of this bad weather actually affect Ireland?

As statistics say, 20% of the world population uses 80% of the earth's resources and 80% of the population depends on remainding 20%. But Mother Nature seems to punish us all

Torrential rain is continuing to cause havoc in China, Cambodia and the region. In China alone floods have killed at least 250 people in the last weeks.

Recent FLASH Flooding May 2001 Iran: 32 people killed
    March 2001 Portugal: 70 killed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

simple answer here nature had a delicate balance tll man found fire and the later discoveries and inventions. to put it simple man ****ed up the balance and will now pay the price. irelands temp is to drop 3 degrees over next year or something like that.

we waited to long to try and fix the harm we have caused our best bet is to move !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

About Temperatures
    Originally posted by Kraken
    irelands temp is to drop 3 degrees over next year or something like that.

This is what I've been told:

Global Warming doesn't mean a Warmer Earth. The polar Ice caps will continue to melt and increase the Mass of the Earth's Oceans causing more Floods.

The Warm Winds will bring more Stroms and Hurricanes and help in the formation of Deserts.

An Abundance of Heat and Water will cause more and more of the evaporation of water from Oceans and add more moisture to the Air. This will bring more Floods and increase Rainfall.

Ireland is on the Same lattitude as Moscow, Edmonton and Vladivostok. Global warming may bring Irelands climate nearer to these places.

Global warming will simply distrupt the Earth's Natural cycle even more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Isn't (or wasn't) there a cloud of smog over the south of Asia, extending from Afghanistan to Indonesia that was visible from space?

Scary stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Keep on Trekin

Being right on the edge of the atlantic and being hugely dependant on the gulf stream, I'd have to say......not a chance in hell. :rolleyes:

What's this 'delicate balance'? Stable weather has been the exception rather than the rule in Earth's history. I'm not denying that we aren't responsible for the climate change, but it probably would have happened eventually anyway. If you look at ice core samples, tree rings and other indicators you'll see there's been widely varying weather far longer than there's been humans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Thnaks for the link Dustaz!Any more info on the....

Originally posted by deco
    a cloud of smog over the south of Asia, extending from Afghanistan to Indonesia that was visible from space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Kraken
    irelands temp is to drop 3 degrees over next year or something like that.

No it isn't.
    simple answer here nature had a delicate balance tll man found fire and the later discoveries and inventions

Nature is more robust than you might imagine.

The flooding in central europe and torrential rain in Asia is almost certainly unlinked to global warming it's just bad luck. It happens. Ditto for our extremely wet summer. The possibility of global warming switching off the north atlantic drift and the polar front jet stream (which keep us temperate despite our latitude) is also highly questionable.

All the catastrophic effects of global warming are simply an hypothesis some parts of which are very unlikely. These are presented as fact rather than theory because the scaremongering helps the (for the most part well intentioned) green agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

Hi,
    Originally posted by Keep on Trekin

Well daw, i presume you have been away from ireland for the last few years, this summer has been the worst F*****g summer ever rain, rain, times a million, global warming is starting to bite, and it has only taken a .000001% effect yet, it is not the third worlds fault, but "Uncle Sam" driving around in their 10. litre V8 Chevrolet Gas Guzzlers at 8-9 miles to the gallon, like in fairness to us "Europeans" we drive fairly decent cars when it comes to emmisions like about 10 nissian micras does the damage as one american car, but it is the american attitude is to blame, with "theirs no way like the american way" . If america was as a free place that it claims to be Al Gore would have been elected not George W. Bush with his buddies at E$$o and Shell, their motto is line their pockets and forget about mother nature . like Clinton was in favour of kyoto, unlike bush, well i've enogh said in "my little eco warrior stance"

Regards Culchie Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

"Uncle Sam" driving around in their 10. litre V8 Chevrolet Gas Guzzlers at 8-9 miles to the gallon, like in fairness to us "Europeans" we drive fairly decent cars when it comes to emmisions like about 10 nissian micras does the damage as one american car

Yes Americans drive big cars, that said petrol is so very much cheaper in the US anyway where on balance it costs roughly 1/3 the price it does in Ireland to by (n) litres of petrol, so the Americans have much less economic impetus then the Irish for example to drive smaller cars.

Fact is, if you drive a car or a bike or similar device you are contributing to the production of Greenhouse gases, full stop.
    If america was as a free place that it claims to be Al Gore would have been elected not George W. Bush with his buddies at E$$o and Shell

Culchie Boy, while I am not a fan of the oil lobby in the US, you may not just say that if the US were free it would have elected Al Gore. Yes it is debatable that the election was rigged and yes the USA does produce 70% roughly of human based Green House gases, no Europeans are no better so before we go declaring jihad on the US for the current administrations anti-environmental stance, people in Europe should get their own affairs in order.

Ireland and the UK for example have the lowest amount of recycling in place in the whole of Western Europe and in as much as it may be cathartic to let loose at the Americans for burning fossil fuels, the Kyoto protocol which the Americans have rejected will not fix global warming, it will just slow it down. Moreover most country's that have agreed to participate have done just that, agreed to participate, but for the most part have done 'nothing' concrete to reduce the levels of their Greenhouse emissions.

Ireland has a framework for reducing Greenhouse Gas Emssion reductions http://www.environ.ie/pdf/pccdlcover.pdf , but in reality the number of cars sold in Ireland is roughly 150,000-200,000 each year depending on the current economic climate and it is unlikely that the government will do anything to impact auto sales in this country, nor does the technology really exist to placate fossil fuel emissions.

Now if the government were really serious about reducing Ireland's Green House Gas emissions, it might free up a few million Euros for research into alternative sources of fuel and the development thereof. Namely it might fund hydrogen fuel cell technology, if it were really serious and not simply paying lip service to the notion of environmentalism.

On topic.

It is likely that Ireland will experience increased rainfall, wamer winters and perhaps rising sea levels as the ice caps continue to melt. For an island nation increased flooding and rising sea levels are not good news. The idea of warmer winters may be appealing to some people, but I assure you, such global scale climatic change, which is totally unplanned and utterly uncontrolable is not going to be good for anyone.

Already phonema such as El-Nino & La Nina are increasing in frequency and intensity, and though there is no proven link between global warming and events such as El-Nino and La-Nina, it would seem too co-incedential to simply refute out of hand the likelyhood that climatic change, initiated by human activity is not impacting on El-Nino, La-Nina, flooding throughout Europe, Desertification of the Sahel region in Africa and a whole host of other phonema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

Ok,
    i retract my statment if america was the free place it claims to be. What i ment to say was if America had a proper voting system, not the electoral college system, Al Gore got 250,000 more votes than bush and still lost ! whoever gets the most votes wins is the type of system i'm in favour of,

On Topic,
    Fact is, if you drive a car or a bike or similar device you are contributing to the production of Greenhouse gases, full stop.

How could driving a bike contribute to the production of greenhouse gases ? cycling produces no Co2, if it is a motor bike you meant i agree.

I think the only solution is a tax on big industry polluter (all industry dose'nt pollute) plus the use of wind mills etc for electrical generation, in my parish where i live (population 1000) there is 1 hydro plant 1 more to be built and 3 wind mill farms to be built by 2005, plus one private hydro plant for generation of a persons house as they lives miles away from the supply line. it is easy to make a positive contribution to the enviornoment only try.

I have seen quite a few Toyota prius's around the new "Hybrid" car with very low emmissions.

And yes i do live in the Republic of Ireland to those who are thinking he's in denmark or Some other very eco-friendly country.

Hydrogen Cars by 2010,

Regards Culchie Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

gobal warming or eveloluation ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Culchie Boy
    Well daw, i presume you have been away from ireland for the last few years, this summer has been the worst F*****g summer ever rain, rain, times a million, global warming is starting to bite, and it has only taken a .000001% effect yet

That wasn't the worst summer ever it wasn't even that close. It wasn't very nice thats all. There is no evidence to suggest that the fact that the summer wasn't very nice has anything to do with global warming. We live in Ireland we don't get nice summers that much, the world isn't about to end.

Advertisement