Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I doing wrong?

Options
  • 21-08-2002 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi people,
    maybe someone can put me at ease slightly.

I'm a 21 year old male, and never seem to have too much luck with the ladies. I always try to make the effert to be polite, and put on the charm, etc, but women usual just turn and ignore me.

Any advice, what am I doing wrong? Am I looking in the wrong place? Maybe I'm being to picky, maybe I shouldn't go out to attract just one type of girl.

Hey girls, what exactly do ye look for in a guy anyhow? I know I'm me and that gonna be hard to change but I just wanna know how I can come out with a better result?

I'd like a long term girlfriend and not just a meaningless snog in the nite-club after a night on the beer.

Any help appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ever heard the expression 'nice guys finish last'? All too often it's true, unfortunately.

Would I be right in assuming you've not got the highest self-confidence in the world? If that's the case, it might be worth going out on a few nights on the pull just to boost the aul' ego. I know you say that's not what you're after, but it can be good if you're getting depressed about being single.

A real relationship is not quite so easy, obviously. If you leave it to fate, you could be waiting a long time; if you've got friends who cop on to your situation they might introduce you to someone, etc etc (I hate setups personally though).

[opinion, not necessarily fact] Girls will normally tell you they want someone decent, kind, considerate, blah blah blah. The type of men young women actually seem to be attracted to are the loud, brash smooth-talking 'boyzzz' with the bleached hair and the souped up Golfs etc (note: girls will never admit to this). Your average woman of 18-22 wants a bit of excitement, whatever she says. Imagine a man talking about cars to a woman - he'll say what he wants is something sensible and economical, good mileage to the gallon, etc - this is what he wants in the long run, but what your average young man would like to be driving round in is something stupidly fast, flashy and expensive (sorry about the crap analogy...).
    [/opinion]

There are, however, plenty of women out there who are attracted to the decent, polite type. I don't know where they hide, but they do exist. You'll meet some of them eventually (not that it's much good to you at the moment). It's not worth trying to change who you are just to get a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

isn't that what we all ask ourselves?

you are being too nice. if your talking to a girl and keep praising her etc she will think you are desperate and she wont want to go out with you. try making her feel like you dont need her.. that way she will be more attracted to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Treat girls like dirt and they'll stick to you like mud...
    (probably not true)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Unregistered
    try making her feel like you dont need her.. that way she will be more attracted to you

There's actually a grain of truth in that - it's built into human nature to want what we can't have or is hard to attain, so keeping an aloof attitude can often help your chances.

• Advertisement

im not being odd or anything but maybe your trying too hard, i know, being a girly myself that i dont like a guy to try too hard. its all part of the fun. it shouldn't have to be you the hold time making the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Theyre right, we all have the same problems. And I also HATE setups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

You're being a good mate, not dateable material.

Myself and a mate were talking about it today, she's being virtually handed a guy and she's annoyed, in her words "it lacks the challenge, the fun".

To be honest a lot of girls like to win a guy, it gives them a bit of fun :)

Just flirt, it's not that difficult, raise eyebrows, hold glances, wink.
    It's fun and easy.

gl

<< Fio >>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

mise, M. Tilt and Smiles make good points.

women always have the knack of knowing someone is out looking, sounds like you're trying too hard (it's smacks of being desperate and so to be avoided).
    Stop trying to find someone, go out and enjoy yourself, if someone is beside you in the bar, just chat to them like their a mate, flirt a little and BE YOURSELF, don't see her as someone you are trying to get a date with, eventually, with time the right one will give you a go.
    one thing I have noticed for myself is, the exact time I wasn't interested in being with someone, I seemed to attract more!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

stop being who you arent and start being yourself.
    if you have to change yourself to try and pick someone up, i dont think they will appreciate it if you turn out to be someone different if you start going out with them.
    and stop being such a wimp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah, if u go out looking for someone long term, u will probably return empty handed. its when its far from my mind that i usually end up with a long term relationship on my hands, and i know everyone always says that but its true!

dunno if id agree with the not being nice to a girl thing...i know with my ex, when ever he did nice things like buying me presents, taking me out, compliments, phone calls (he he) it used to really piss me off, but i wasnt really in love with him, and now that ive found someone i do love, its great.

treat em mean, keep em keen i find, serves only to make someone more clingy. Just let things take a natural course, stop dwelling on it and when it happens just go with it, coz if its right, its right because you're being yourself.

Hi all, original poster here!

A few very good point there ok. Thanks all for posting replies!!!

Maybe ye are right, I guess I am trying to hard. I should give up trying a little and just relax, do a bit of chit chatting, maybe get flirty and see what happens.

Trouble is although i always try to be nice to a girl, I'm not much good at the whole flirting thing. Any tips?

As for the whole idea of being set up by a pal, I really hate that. I ended up going on a blind date to a girls Debs last year, and it was a nightmare. I was all dressed up in my tucs, walked into the pub to meet her before we got the bus to hotel, and there was I on first impression this girl seems genuine enough,as the night went on I suddenly realised how wrong I was.

She was so narky and contrary all night. Her company was boring, and al she wanted to do was sit down and drink for the night.

So no way am I going on a set up date again.

Hey Smiles = maybe ya could give me a few lessons on the whole flirting business, the raised eyebrows, a wink, sounds all a little gay!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everyone has good points. For a bunch of nerds we know a bit of women ;)

I always found that I never scored when I went out on the pull, ie when I spent a night going up talking to women. The times when I'd score would be when we'd go out and just have a laugh, a dance, and not get absolutely bollxed drunk. Women came up and talked to us. The best example was the night I met my gf. There was 15 of us, who were all going on holidays together after the LC, so we had decided this was going to be the last drinking night before the LC, and we had a mental night. And 12 of us pulled, which is a huge proportion.

If you're really desperate, you could try pretend you have a girlfriend, cos it's a well-known phenomenon that your attractiveness to women increases proportional to how long you've been in a relationship.

As merc said, go out and enjoy life and dance. If you look like you don't need a woman to enjoy life, then it makes them even more determined to get in there and destroy that ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

it makes them even more determined to get in there and destroy that

will you be bringing your g/f on Sat. night Seamus, I wish to discuss this statment with her?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    it makes them even more determined to get in there and destroy that

will you be bringing your g/f on Sat. night Seamus, I wish to discuss this statment with her?! :D

:D No, no, she refused to come because of the 'pay in' bit. She has a party to go to. There's only 2 people on these boards who have met her, and that's the way I want to keep it........I know she'll never actually come online, so this is my sanctuary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

No s******ing please, but if you masturbate a lot, stop it!!!!!
    I found that when I didn't jerk off for a while, I became more primal and much less of a nice guy (which I'm really prone to being). After about 3 weeks of no-sexual activity, you're a different feckin' person, a lot more raw and a lot less formal. It works for me time and time again, when you are really desperate for some action and haven't touched yourself in weeks, your approach is a lot different and less standoff-ish.
    The only bad side effect I've noticed is that you have to watch what you say, I seem to develop a serious case of tourette's syndrome when I haven't touched myself for a while. So, while you may feel an urgency in your approach when you do this, try to watch your P's and Q's at the same time.
    The above was a serious contribution, I'm not messing about here!
    But, you also have to assess both yourself and the people you are trying to be with. If you've got piercings and tatts and listen to Morbid Angel and Slayer (and wear the T-Shirts), chances are unless you're a seriously jammy codger, respectable and god-fearing girls are not going to want to know you. I've suffered this one, got some tatts and listen to metal and when you open your mouth about this, you just get a vague look in return - I usually crash and burn at that stage. Try and get involved in a scene you're confortable in, if you feel like a fish out of water somewhere, then its almost a certainty that you're not going to have much luck there.
    Also, without wanting to diss any girls on boards.ie here, girls nowadays are hard to please, unless you meet a sound one. A lot of them (who give the nice one's a bad name) are just scatter-brains, and unless you're very familiar with all the current trends and fads, you''ll be working hard to keep up with them. Also, monogomy seems dead in the young 'uns these days. I'm 24 and most of the people my age are still into the one-partner thing. But I do know a lot of folks aging from about 12 upwards and it seems to me that they are no longer interested in anything resembling a relationship.....assuming it is a relationship you're looking for and not just sex. If its just sex.....put on your best threads and head to Zanzibar or Copperface Jacks and bring loads of dosh with you, you'll be beating the hoors off you then.
    But in the big picture, women are very different to men. If you can't get the hang of them, then you need more exposure to them. If you've got a sister, try talking to her, or talk to a brothers girlfriend or something. Don't talk to yer Mum though, because they are no help at all, unless you've got one of those sound mums' (you know the one's!!!!).
    If you STILL can't swing it, then come out on the piss with me and my friends and we'll sort you out for good. Just don't hold me responsible if anything untowards happens!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Unregistered
    try making her feel like you dont need her.. that way she will be more attracted to you

Very VERY interesting... God bless psychology and the paradox which is the female brain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

If you're really desperate, you could try pretend you have a girlfriend, cos it's a well-known phenomenon that your attractiveness to women increases proportional to how long you've been in a relationship.

<- seamus has a good point there
    but not to lie & say you have a girlfriend
    convince yourself you have one b4 & when you are out & about
    rather than look around desperatly
    it must b the indifference attitude that attracts.
    most of my friends that score regulary have the ability to talk absolut sh1te for 4 hours
    & shave your palms ,lol

it all depends on where you go
    quiet a few place in the big smoke are not the place were people feel comfortable being approched

im quite shy
    but if you live in de big smoke
    i can give you a list of places were girlies go not to get chatted up every 5 mins , as im sure that get annoying , bit like ibiza .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

ATTENTION YOU PEOPLE!!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE DATING SCENE!

No wonder most of you lot can never get a date. Sweet Jesus.

People, you're all MENTAL.

'Try to look as though you're not interested'
    'Try to pretend you don't want her'
    'Try to pretend you have a girlfriend'
    'Try making her feel like you dont need her.. that way she will be more attracted to you'...

So your combined advise is to act like a wánker to pull birds??

If you do any of the above, yes, you'll score.

You'll score some slapper with a past job history as a human mattress whose got more issues than Afghanistan and more ex boyfriends than Liz Taylor, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Freddie Mercury combined. She'll shág you on your first date, tell you she loves you within a week, propose that you marry her within a month and screw your best mate or your brother a week later.

As for being nice and it not working, here's the problem.

Are you normally a nice outgoing person who complements people on their appearance and goes out of their way to do things for them (pulling out seats, opening doors, buying drinks)? Do you do that for your everyday mates? No? Then why do you think that when you do it to a stranger it'll come across as natural? It just appears false!

First rule, be yourself. If you don't prostrate yourself as a human doormat for your mates, don't do it for a girl you're interested in, you'll just look marginally more undesirable than Michael Jackson coated in marmalade.

If you are on the hunt for someone long term, you have to start out being the person you are. Chances are you're quite likeable, but the gobshíte you turn into when you deliver chat up lines isn't.

Wánkers get laid because there's a certain type of woman out there who wants to get laid by a wánker. And unless you're a bona fide wánker all the time, you don't want to hook up with a woman like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Now there's a bit of good advice.
    Wánkers get laid because there's a certain type of woman out there who wants to get laid by a wánker.

:D

http://www.wankfetishgirls.com

Seems like the Personal Issues board has gotten a refreshing kickstart from our esteemed colleague, Minesajackdaniels. Made me giggle with the truth of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

original poster here again.

very good points there Minesajackdaniels. Its so true. But I must say that I feel that I do make a strong effert to be nice to everybody not just girls. I've been known to help out mates in trouble, buy them drink, lend em money when stuck, compliment them, etc, etc.

I would do the same thing to a girl if they'd allow me. I'm not a total w*nker, that just goes out to pull some slapper. I know the slapper type, there is no fun in that, it takes little effert to pull a slapper anyway, like I said already, I wanna be with a genuine girl, someone who is easy to chat to and good company. I know these girls out there as I've come across them, but I just don't seem to be the right type for them.

And NO, I am not out for sex, I'm out to find a girl for friendship and companionship. may sound weird coming from a guy, but its the honest truth.

Hobnail Monkey - No offense but I personally don't wanna hear about what ya do with your right hand in your spare time. boards is not the place for discussing such a personal issue as monkey spanking, and I'm sure mods will agree with me on that.

Thanks all once again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

@minesajackdaniels

spectacular post.

/claps

Unregi - are you denying that you have ever indulged in hand-shandy???
    Only joking, but I was only going on your original message which was a bit unclear so I was trying to cover all the bases (no pun intended).
    Best of luck to you though, I hope you find the person you are looking for and if not, don't ignore ol' rosie palm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yup, well said MAJD!!!
    so if u are a nice guy naturally just be yourself, and wait for it, dont go looking for it! I used to go mad at that advice, coz my friends seemed to constantly be in relationships and i wanted to experience it too. But once i stopped being...a bit desperate!!!...i realised that you cant force gettin into a relationship just because u want one! So i stopped thinking about it, and i was more natural around guys then and more myself, which helped me meet the kind of person i had chemistry with enabling the relationship to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Definitely post of the month, MAJD! :)

I think the common thread linking all (or most) of these comments in just be yourself.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

nice 1 jd
    with all the negative advice
    you'll do damage 2 yourself with fustration

i had to have a verbal marathon (2 win my girl), me + a friend who could talk for ire , but when i saw her
    i could not let her end up with him
    my god i gave my all
    from 12.30 to 5am
    & my friend was still back n forth ,,, sniffing

so
    Go for it

2 Q
    how many put downs can u handle in a night
    & how long b4 u bounce back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

As it happens......

Yes.

yah missed out putting on their coat for them :) (women only..not mates)

You should always make the effort to tell people they look well/nice jeans/top etc when they have put in the effort. male or female.

Its easliy done.

You do don't you?

And he tries to make the earth move for women..... but then all he could manage was making the ash-tray move on its own... impressive. :)

<< Fio >>

Advertisement