Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Digital via MMDS - Connection Options

Options
  • 21-08-2002 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just been informed by Chorus C/s that the digital service - via MMDS aerial - is now available in my area, Navan. (Do these people have a marketing division? The customer has to ring up to find out about new services?)

I should first say that as an old Cable Management Ireland customer, I really do seem to be getting a much better service from Chorus analogue than most - 3 way splitter brings signal to all 3 TVs, which I can operate independently of each other, and on which I can tape any channel I like while watching another.
    (Why do I want to go digital - I know, I know)

Anyway, with the above in mind, I wonder is it possible to maintain the 3-way splitter and send the new MMDS/Digital signal to the same points I curently use, via the co-axial cable I currently use, and simply buy 2 extra decoders?

Also, is there anything - other than possibly the law - preventing me from buying one of these aerials and mounting it myself, thereby cutting Chorus out of the loop?

Finally, using this seemingly non-unique type of transmission, how do Chorus regulate what channel package I have?

Many Thanks,

Michael.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

My views on Chorus are fairly well known 'round these parts. Have a quick shuftie at the thread entitled 'I just signed up for Chorus Digital- should I be afraid?' which basically charts my first 5 weeks as a Chorus customer.

To answer some of your questions:

The Set Top Box (STB) that Chorus use for their digital service is the Sagem ITD 4000. This unit is designed for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), like the now defunkt ITV Digital in the UK.

This has a couple of ramifications regarding your questions:

1) As it is not a system specific to MMDS transmission, a small in-line frequency convertor is used to reduce the signal frequency to within a range that the STB expects, and can therefore decode. I'm not sure about signal strength issues but I doubt you'd get 3 acceptable strength signals AFTER the convertor, so you wouldn't get multi-room viewing this way. Also.....

2) The STB incorporates an industry standard Nagravision CAS (Conditional Access System) based on a smartcard. Chorus transmit a signal that matches the card to the STB, and programs it with what channels you have subscribed to. You wont be able to install your own dish and steal Chorus's service as a result of this (not acceptable behaviour, really, even with Crappus). I doubt you'd be able to buy these STB's at an acceptable price for your multi-room idea (subsidised by Chorus) and the CAS system would stop you using the set-up multi-room unless you got 3 subscriptions.

However........ The STB's do have an analogue pass-through. You can use existing Jerrold/General Instruments Cable boxes on this feed to watch TV in other rooms, which might suit your needs. This costs a fairly reasonable Euro5.99 a month per box. The pass-through is, naturally, coaxial.

I strongly advise you get either Sky Digital or NTL Digital if it's available in your area though, due to the poor service Chorus have provided me.

I hope this is helpful.......:)

Advertisement